[F] *New* Formalizing Idea Submissions

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.

Popularity of this idea?

Yes
75%
No
13%
Unsure
6%
Not enough info
6%

Total votes: 16

Taledus
android_version: 4.0

[F] *New* Formalizing Idea Submissions

Post by Taledus »

Introduction
So forgive my OCD about this...I really like this game though and feel that structuring submissions would greatly benefit.

I posted briefly concerning this idea here: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1949#p21278 but wanted to get input and popularity of it here. The original idea isn't mine but wanted to expand options for it.

This would allow for ideas to be easily taken from the drawing board straight through to being implemented very quickly. Project Meeting thread could quickly reference the idea being voted on with a link. While not everyone on here with an idea is a programmer or quest writer, this idea would allow for them to be more productive with as little effort as possible. The majority of the grunt work would be done by the person with the idea...if they believe their idea would greatly benefit the game then it would be no problem for them to submit a formalized idea post in order to streamline the process. Once a submission is approved, the creator would then submit a link to the thread on the Issues section at http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/issues/list and be responsible for locating someone with enough time to implement their idea.

Example: If paperdolling was implemented for this game, and I had an idea for a new sword, I would be responsible for submitting the sprites or finding a volunteering member on the forums willing to create the sprites for the weapon. The same post could be used for finding people to help too. Similarly, this in-depth structuring the forums/submissions is my idea...I would be be responsible for finding someone who administrates the forums to implement this idea if (1) it is very popular, and (2) the administration is willing to have this implemented.

Simply put this idea would bring a level of professionalism to go from having an fully fleshed out idea to having it implemented very quickly. Unstructured ideas could still be freely discussed in the main Ideas and future development forum.

Submission Process
- Start post for idea in correct sub-forum category.
- Post subject should start with *New* or *Change* then title (e.g. *New* Kukri)
- Post should have poll with Allow re-voting to allow for people to change their vote if idea is tweaked.
- Poll options should be:
  • Yes
    No
    Unsure
    Not enough info
- Post should be formatted for clarity.
- Post should include Change Log starting at "v.1.0" with subsequent changes to main idea increment version "0.1"

Adding a Change Log would allow for idea to show where it has been tweaked and evolved. If v.1.2 would not work dev's could always go back to v.1.1 and know what exact changes to make.
Each different category should have a stickied form that would be copied/pasted for the new thread to provide better structure for the ideas...sometimes it is easy to leave stuff off or forget about stuff...this would also help people flesh out their ideas. Example provided further down.

Implementing Ideas
- Fully fleshed out popular ideas would be brought up at meetings and voted:
  • "Yes"
    "No"
    "Wait and see how idea evolves"
- Dev's still retain the ability to make whatever changes necessary.
- Idea creator modify original post for approved version.
- Idea creator post a link to approved idea in http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/issues/list and locate someone that has time to implement it.

Sub-Forum Categories
This list would be additional sub-forums in "Ideas and future development" forum
Equipment
Skills
Quests
Graphics
Game Mechanics
Forum Suggestions
Forum Suggestions would not move to issue tracker if approved as they only deal with the forums and not the actual game itself. Example - this idea would stay in the Forum Suggestions sub-forum.

Submission Form Example
The bold parts would be what the stickied form template for weapons would consist of. Armor, potions, misc items would have different templates as well.
-Equipment sub-forum-

Subject: *New* Kukri

Item Image: (the equipment icon for inventory)
Item Sprite Sheet: (if paperdolling was implemented)
Type: 1h Bladed weapon
Subtype: Knife
+HP:
+AP:
AP Cost: 5
+AC%: 30
+Crit%:
+Crit*:
Min Dmg: 2
Max Dmg: 5
+BC%:
Condition:
On Hit:
On Kill:
Store Cost: 150gp
Comments: Because having kukri would rock!
Sticky: Introduction to Having an Idea for Andor's Trail
This would be posted at the top of this (Ideas and future development) forum:
Introduction to Having an Idea for Andor's Trail
Think you have the next best idea to introduce to the Andor's Trail community? Well look no further.

While basic and unstructured ideas can be freely posted and discussed in the "Ideas and future development" forum, a formalized submission process has been designed to bring a level of professionalism along for fully fleshed out ideas in varying categories. This process will not only allow you to share your fully developed idea & make additional changes that are suggested, but will allow for others to vote on how valid your idea would be for the current content of the game. Popular ideas that have been finalized will then be voted on during weekly meetings as to which version of your idea is most appropriate for incorporation. If your idea is approved it will be allowed to be linked in the Issue Tracker in order to better find assistance for programming your idea for one of the future releases. The best part is you will get to see your idea through from beginning to end.

Responsibilities of the Idea Developer
Remember that no one here is getting paid and working together will bring better content for the game. Ultimately you are required to do most of the work for your idea. This alleviates a lot of work for the people that do the actual implementing. This process streamlines getting the idea implemented in the most efficient manner while sharing the work load. Additionally, as the idea's developer, you will be required to:
- Setting up your thread in the appropriate sub-forum with a poll and re-voting.
- Utilizing the designed forms to flesh out your idea.
- Formatting it for clarity.
- Submitting graphics if needed.
- Updating a change log at the bottom of your post.
- Linking it in the Issue Tracker and locating someone to incorporate you idea in the game depending on which category it is in upon approval.

The Steps for Success
- Write out your idea in as much detail as possible.
- Locate the appropriate sub-forum category that your idea falls in.
- Copy and paste the appropriate template and fill it in with as much detail as possible.
- Title it appropriately - *New* for new ideas, and *Change* for changes to an existing idea (i.e. *New* IdeaName or *Change* IdeaName).
- Setup the poll at the bottom of the post. This should include:
  • poll Question (i.e. "Popularity of this idea")
    poll options (i.e. "Yes" "No" "Unsure" "Not enough info")
    and be certain to check "Allow re-voting".
Below is a link to each sub-forums idea template to get you started: (none of them work)
Equipment
Skills
Quests
Graphics
Game Mechanics
Forum Suggestions
Additional stickies will have the template in a code box with an example listed.

Needed
- Suggestions/corrections for the sub-forum names that would be implemented.
- Input on what information that would be needed for the stickied forms for each sub-forum category.

Change Log
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v.1.1
- Added example of Weapon Form
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v.1.2
- Added versioning change log suggestion (credits to fiernaq)
- Edited and formatted for clarity
- Replaced sub-forum "Content" with "Graphics" & "Game Mechanics"
- Added sub-forum "Forum Suggestions"
- Voted in versions to be corrected by idea creator then post a link to thread in Issue Tracker (credits to phydeaux)
- Added idea for additional How To Sticky (working on this sometime today)
v.1.3
- Added How To sticky
v.1.4
:arrow: Instead of changing the original post sections, changes in this manner easily follow what changes have been made throughout the different versions of the main idea. (change log order ascending now) (credits to Pyrizzle)

:?: Descending changes - newest version/changes listed first (Pyrizzle)
:?: Ascending changes - OP first, subsequent changes last (the way this post is setup)

:arrow: Poll not recommended as people following thread freely discuss changes for the main idea anyways. (credits to Pyrizzle)

:idea: Spiffy emoticons used for noting key changes (Taledus) :?:
Last edited by Taledus on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:50 am, edited 11 times in total.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: *New* Formalizing Idea Submissions

Post by Sarumar »

.... not bad one... can work... but this IMO is "hard way" and there need to be lots of people who will give some of their time to keep this on going. I also that fear that some members of forum will fear systems like this one and will not post their ideas in future.

Or I might just not understood this one correct, thank for my not so fluent skill
of english ;)

nice idea anyway
Last edited by Sarumar on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i need a secretary

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Yeah, it would take some effort for moderators initially to either delete posts requesting that people submit structured idea submissions in the correct format, or just tell people to edit their post correctly. I would help moderate, but being new here and all I am not sure I would be allowed to do this.

I think once it is setup, and there is a sticky about "Read Before You Post" explaining how to submit an idea it could work. Not to mention once the sub forums are setup and people see how things are submitted then it would help.

People will still be able to submit non structured ideas in the main "Ideas and future development" forum for discussion, but these would be for fully fleshed out ideas...like my recent crafting idea thread which goes into a lot of detail, it just isn't structured like this idea is referring to. There have been a few other really great threads that should be but in a format like this and voted on as well. Simple ideas like "I think the short sword should have 1 less AP..." or "Wouldn't it be cool if I could moon walk in the game...", ideas without a lot of detail to them would still go in this main thread.

This isn't to say that the voting will decide anything...the dev's still get full say-so of what they are willing to put in the game, but it may be beneficial for them to see what ideas are more popular than others.

nyktos - where do I apply? :D
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Taledus wrote: nyktos - where do I apply? :D
... You just stepped on a mine... have fun ;)
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Sarumar wrote:
Taledus wrote: nyktos - where do I apply? :D
... You just stepped on a mine... have fun ;)
:lol:

BOOM!!!

:twisted:

(am i the "temperamental one?")

this is a really good post,
we were talking about finally getting the ball rolling on this during the meeting...

i had an idea a few weeks back, but too many vague ideas & not enough time.
this is a great way to kick start a nice brain storming session!

this topic was about to come up,
and it's interesting that this was posted -right now-

good stuff!

:D

when i get some more free time for this,
i will defiantly post some more serious thoughts.

(it's just so much easier to work on the "fun stuff" like quests & such)

"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

nyktos wrote:
(it's just so much easier to work on the "fun stuff" like quests & such)

This is the fun stuff... Just streamlining it :twisted:
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

WOW...I finally had a great idea :D

And for me, yes, organizing is the fun stuff.
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by nether »

Taledus wrote:WOW...I finally had a great idea :D

And for me, yes, organizing is the fun stuff.

For now.... :twisted:

just think about what nyktos will be able to do with you under his grip... you will become a zombie :P
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Lets keep on topic, this is an interesting idea that merits discussion.