v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

avoiding negative conditions - evasion vs resistances

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: avoiding negative conditions - evasion vs resistances

Post by fiernaq »

Heh, this is my kind of thread :twisted:

As you can see from my sig, the path I chose is very similar to what you're talking about. I have found that 3 points in Evasion is CRUCIAL to the early success and even later ease of play. I have yet to die accidentally with this character and have never used flee. Based on the math I did before building this char, there is no weapon that I would currently choose permanently over barehanded. The QSD can offer some temporary assistance with AC but eventually you're going to want a modicum of BC as well so you're better off without it since you can raise AC easier than you can raise BC without using skill points. The following is roughly the numbers I went for during my lvling up:

AC 50 - AD 6
AC 100 - AD 12
AC 150 - AD 18
AC 200 - AD 24
This is where it deviates slightly as at 200 AC you can pretty much focus on AD for a while. You will eventually want an AC of at least 300 but everything in v0.6.10 can be handled easily with 200. I have yet to visit any of the v0.6.11 content besides a couple of screens right next to loneford but even those were fairly easy at lvl 24ish so I don't expect to have much trouble making my way to Remgard eventually. Of course, by the time I find my first RoLs I may be level 100 so the whole comparative difficulty thing will be moot but I'll still enjoy it.

And yes, Cleave is very useful but I would suggest you don't go for it till after level 32. I plan on taking Regen at 32 and will hopefully have cleave 12 levels later or about the time I expect to head towards Remgard.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Sarumar wrote:
Ahh, Yesss .. do not underestimated the power of cleave :twisted:
CLEAVE STINKS!

I don't use it and never will.

(MY HONEST OPINION)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by nether »

What about regeneration? Everyone always takes this skill from what I can see, and I don't get it. If you have a crazy amount of gold, what do you need regen for? Much less corpse eater? Ease of play?
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Its more helpful earlier in the game. Having ways to heal means you can sell off meat and potion drops for good to buy better equipment. And there's a few quests that have you walking around a lot still you can heal while doing so.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by nether »

Mino wrote:Its more helpful earlier in the game. Having ways to heal means you can sell off meat and potion drops for good to buy better equipment. And there's a few quests that have you walking around a lot still you can heal while doing so.
THANK YOU for this. I thought I was missing out on something big. Yeah I'm hardcore, so I'll be passing on these skills :)
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Sarumar wrote:
Ahh, Yesss .. do not underestimated the power of cleave :twisted:
CLEAVE STINKS!

I don't use it and never will.

(MY HONEST OPINION)
:lol: .. but I disagree, In places like BWM, Iqhan cave, Spider mountain Cleave is one of the best ways to avoid negative confitition. In those places it is common that several monster attack at same time...
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

nether wrote:
Mino wrote:Its more helpful earlier in the game. Having ways to heal means you can sell off meat and potion drops for good to buy better equipment. And there's a few quests that have you walking around a lot still you can heal while doing so.
THANK YOU for this. I thought I was missing out on something big. Yeah I'm hardcore, so I'll be passing on these skills :)
It can also be helpful if you get inflicted with a condition, you can heal while you wait it out or to counter the effect of poison. Our you can heal while waiting for a respawn if grinding for a rare item or XP.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
nessi
android_version: 4.0

Post by nessi »

So, the seeming answer to the implicit question is that in the current version 0.6.11 resistances are useless and some other way of dealing with negative actor conditions is called for (never getting hit due to evasion/superstrong 1st round hit/high bc ; alternatively being godlike enough that contracting the negative conditions isn't a major inconvenience).

Now, regeneration or not? I personally am a big fan of a 'self-sufficient' character, i.e. one which doesn't depend on potions or other 'limited-use' items, but simply uses them to 'speed things up a little'. That way, it is impossible to get truly stuck anywhere (where you get in, you will also get out - well that's not quite true of course, but close enough). So, I will always choose one level regeneration early-on and simply regard it as 'insurance'.

Finally, although Sarumar disagrees, I think the current version has something which does come very close to an 'ultimate build (when restricting the level to say level 40)'. That is something that imho the developers should address long term. Just like you have to make a choice between Prim and Blackwater at the moment, there should be meaningful and roughly equivalently good choices in character development: e.g. some areas are all but impossible with a ac/ad built whilst doable with a bc/hp build and of course also the other way round.
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

I think 1 level each of Regeneration and Corpse Eater help with being more 'self-sufficient'. That way, you can heal while waiting out a condition or for respawns, but if you don't want or need to wait, you can heal from killing things.

I think AP is very important, so naturally I value skills like Combat Speed and Cleave, and my favorite potion is the Minor potion of speed. Its also the reason Taunt is the only high level skill I plan to get (since taking AP away from opponents is also valuable - if it lands on an Arulir since they can only hit once as it is, they'd lose their turn :twisted: )

As for the resistance skills, I'd only consider them worth it if you max each one out, but that means using 28 skill points, and I'm not willing to pass on the other skills I could get instead. If you haven't completed the Dark Protector quest, there's also a boost you can get from that, if you make the right choice.

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

nessi wrote:So, the seeming answer to the implicit question is that in the current version 0.6.11 resistances are useless and some other way of dealing with negative actor conditions is called for (never getting hit due to evasion/superstrong 1st round hit/high bc ; alternatively being godlike enough that contracting the negative conditions isn't a major inconvenience).

Now, regeneration or not? I personally am a big fan of a 'self-sufficient' character, i.e. one which doesn't depend on potions or other 'limited-use' items, but simply uses them to 'speed things up a little'. That way, it is impossible to get truly stuck anywhere (where you get in, you will also get out - well that's not quite true of course, but close enough). So, I will always choose one level regeneration early-on and simply regard it as 'insurance'.

Finally, although Sarumar disagrees, I think the current version has something which does come very close to an 'ultimate build (when restricting the level to say level 40)'. That is something that imho the developers should address long term. Just like you have to make a choice between Prim and Blackwater at the moment, there should be meaningful and roughly equivalently good choices in character development: e.g. some areas are all but impossible with a ac/ad built whilst doable with a bc/hp build and of course also the other way round.
I love your post and questions.... IMHO any of my posts here...just my opinion ;) ... Now I fear that Im misunderstood some of the post in this topic... But. :twisted: IMO any of the players who can completed 6.11 in first build under lvl 40 are my heroes and "god like" players ;)

IMO ! The DEVs are doing great job about balancing the game... There are not right choice about "storyline" or "build" or "choises" to make godlike build. Instead there are several storylines and choises to enjoy this game ;)

Happy journey

... IMO, take CE instean of Reg ;)

... I like to meet you in highscore-, ata- and at decathlon tooic as well...
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1