Combat Map Movement/Parry/Flanking

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Combat Map Movement/Parry/Flanking

Post by Taledus »

Combat Movement
While I understand that this game is turn-based combat, realizing that when I am fighting an enemy all other NPC's on the screen stop. Sometimes, in more recent ventures up BWM, some of the fights are taking drastically longer than normal as I have taken 2 full days to level-grind, but only to level 20, which is difficult for fighting some of the enemies on the way up there.

In turn I think that maybe every 3 full rounds, map activity should resume for 1 move. This will allow for NPC's to get closer to the action...and if better NPC-AI is implemented (which I believe it is going to be) this will allow for other NPC's on the map to join in on the fight.

This would essentially keep people like me from getting into fights with high-level NPC's, and taking forever to finish because every 2 rounds I am restoring HP with meats due to getting my butt handed to me - I would have the additional worry of the other enemies on the map making their way over to me and attacking.

This would provide much more of a challenge to the combat. People may not try to venture too far ahead in the game if there was much more of a challenge in certain aspects of gameplay, this could be one of them.

Parry
Currently there is AC (Attack Chance), BC (Block Chance), (CC) Chance to crit. I would like to propose PC (Parry Chance):

If an enemy attacks and misses, you get a chance to parry - 1 additional attack that isn't counted towards your AP. The chance of parrying would be about the same as a chance of a critical hit, except for 1/3 to 1/2 normal damage.

The character would not have any chance to parry if he was flanked...please see below:

Flanking
If you have an enemy on all 4 sides of you (top, left, right, bottom), and for instance you are targeting the enemy to the top, the enemies to your left and right get an additional + towards their AC when attacking you. It would not be much, perhaps only an additional 1%. However, the enemy to the bottom, opposite of the enemy you are targeting, would get an increase in this amount, perhaps 2% in addition to their AC.

Additionally, if you have an enemy on all sides of you (top let/middle/right, left side, right side, bottom left/middle/right), and you have the top middle enemy targeted, the other 2 (left/right) enemies get the same +% to Ac that the enemies to each side do. The 3 enemies on bottom side get the same ++% to AC.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Combat Map Movement/Parry/Flanking

Post by fiernaq »

+1

I like giving more work to our awesome developers :lol:
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

I wouldn't necessarily think of it as "more work"...I would call it "refining" some things...

:D
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

I like the idea of parrying. It would give a lot more point to having high bc. But would that make BC overpowered? I've got a couple of builds with, like 200 bc. They're usually able to block at least every other attack... So, parry chance would need to be real low in order for BC builds to reamin un-overpowered, if you catch my drift.
Is un-overpowered even a word? :lol:
Hey guys, I'm back.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Wyrmspawn wrote:I like the idea of parrying. It would give a lot more point to having high bc. But would that make BC overpowered? I've got a couple of builds with, like 200 bc. They're usually able to block at least every other attack... So, parry chance would need to be real low in order for BC builds to reamin un-overpowered, if you catch my drift.
Is un-overpowered even a word? :lol:
Honestly, I had not even considered that it would have that kind of effect on BC because of the rare chance that it would happen...think of being able to perfom a critical strike without any bonuses to crit - it is quite rare that it happens. PC would initially happen much less, and then players could provide input for modifying it from there.

Ultimately if Parry, or Parry Chance (PC), was implemented you would need to have another skill to spend points on in order to provide the proper bonuses to PC as you do with BC or Crit...of course, this would allow for weapons to be modified, or new weapons to be created, that would have bonuses to PC as you do with chance to crit.

In turn, there would be less of a chance that BC would be over powered, because they would have spent additional points on PC if they wanted to, BC wouldn't have as many upgrades added on top of it if the player chose to upgrade PC instead.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

My main consern would be it's effect from Taunt as well,

When NPC makes an attack and misses there is a 25% chance the attacker loses 2AP.

Adding this might over power defencive builds that use this skill.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Pyrizzle wrote:My main consern would be it's effect from Taunt as well,

When NPC makes an attack and misses there is a 25% chance the attacker loses 2AP.

Adding this might over power defencive builds that use this skill.
As I stated before there are skills that affect BC & AC, there would also need to be skills for PC...the user would have to spend skill points in order to use it, which would likely be skill points that they could optionally spend on Taunt.

How would you propose a tweak for PC?
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

So, if I understand correctly, parry chance can only be increased by skill points and sometimes equipment, and it will not get very high?
Hey guys, I'm back.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Not entirely. Parry Chance would work similar to when you level you upgrade Attack Chance & Block Chance...you would also have the option to upgrade Parry Chance instead.

Skills could be added to provide bonuses, and weapons could be made that provide a + to Parry Chance.

Just throwing the idea out there :)
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Taledus wrote:
Pyrizzle wrote:My main concern would be it's effect from Taunt as well,

Adding this might over power defensive builds that use this skill.
As I stated before there are skills that affect BC & AC, there would also need to be skills for PC...the user would have to spend skill points in order to use it, which would likely be skill points that they could optionally spend on Taunt.

How would you propose a tweak for PC?
I do not see a way of adding perry without it becoming broken, once you were able to get a good PC and Taunt you would not only have a chance to deal damage to an NPC when they miss but also be able to make them loose 2ap.

I think perry wouldn't fit within the structure of the game at this time. There maybe a time when it might fit better but I dont see that happening IMHO.

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!