v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Attack styles.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Attack styles.

Post by Taledus »

Reference:

Interview with Oskar
I would also like to explore the possibility of extending the combat system to something similar to what the early Fallout games had, with different types of attacks. For example, an aimed attack that takes longer to perform, but has a higher chance of hitting the target, or a power attack that deals more damage but has less chance of succeeding.
I have been putting some thought into this. Currently to attack you just hit the "Attack" button. But what if there was 2:

Aimed Attack - [represented by an upwards sword icon] which used a bit more AP, but gave you a higher AC of landing a hit.

Strong Attack - [represented by a downwards sword icon] which provides slightly more attack damage, but would have less of a chance of a successful hit.

After discussing this over with sdevaney, he said 3 attack buttons were being considered:

Aimed
Normal
Defensive

Bringing some of the additional stuff that has been discussed over the last few posts on here into light, these additional attacks on top of the normal attack could be earned areas through training, as well as upgrading through training, using money instead of using skill points or only earning themn through levelling up.

New users would still start out with the basic attacks and learn the new attacks through training, or through quests, instead of being swamped with additional attack options right out the door.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Attack styles.

Post by nyktos »

i posted a few suggestions several months ago...

~Trip: Costs Max AP - Opponent loses next turn.

~Whirlwind Attack: Costs Max AP - Hits all adjacent mobs

i've got more floating around somewhere...
someone said something about organizing?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i still think we should just have a Skill Button added,
with a Radio Button list that pops up when the button is tapped...

[Attack] - [Skill] - [End] - [Flee]

Code: Select all

() Aggressive Stance
() Defensive Stance
() Whirlwind Attack
() Disarm
() Trip

[/b]
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Referring to your edit here http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2048#p22781, I think having a "Skill" button would confuse things...maybe name it "Combat Abilities", or make it an icon that reflects abilities, that can alternately be selected to use instead of an attack.

I really think that could add a BUNCH more depth to the combat as well. Perhaps combat abilities like that could be trained as well...lots of good thoughts already on this thread!
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i edited my above post too...

:lol:

and the name of the button wasn't really my focus, so yes i agree.

something like "Abilities" would make more sense
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Alright I have been thinking about this a bit more with all the combat discussion going on in this thread.

Lets say for simplicity's sake dual wielding works exactly like I was stating in my other response:

Weapons with an attack cost of 6AP or more are automatically 2 handed weapons.

You can equip any two swords that have a cost of 5AP or less. The first attacking hand is normal, but the second attack will cost an additional 1AP to use / -10% to Attack Chance / -(1-3) Attack Damage / + 3% to Block Chance...

This is all going to happen simultaneously by hitting 1 attack button...so let's throw in 2 more to mix things up:

High (Upwards sword icon) - Aimed attack - this would cost 2 more Action Points, but would provide 10% more to Attack Chance.

Medium (Horizontal sword icon) - Normal attack - would take place just like description for dual wielding above.

Low (Downwards sword icon) - Strong attack - this would add 2-4 to Attack Damage, but would have 10% less to Attack Chance.

Different stances could be added, but IMO would be unecessary and probably confuse things a bit...However, utilizing the Combat Abilities opposed to an attack would not add too much to the combat. Think of these similar to spells being used by a caster, only they simply deal with optional combat effects instead. You would hit another button to bring up a list of all Combat Abilities that you have paid to train. These additions would come with a good cost to AP. Maybe additional training levels for each ability could bring down the cost, and you would not have these until you actually trained them for the first time...which you had to access an NPC somewhere through a quest in order to train with him.

And just for thought they would be limited to training to level 3 (-1 Action Point cost with each level).

So that would make 6 total icon buttons that would need to go at the top of the Combat Bar:

High Attack
Medium Attack
Low Attack
Combat Abilities
End Turn
Flee

Hopefully I have broken this down a bit better for thoughts. Kinda makes things confusing with just little details.

But if we do use NPC's to "train" the character, can we please name one Mr. Miyagee :lol:
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

I'd hate having to press buttons every time I want more attack power or attack chance. How about an option that lets you choose how you attack instead, so that once you've selected your way of attacking, you can jusst keep pressing your finger on the screen? I normally don't use the attack button, and I'd have a hard time getting used to even smaller ones.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

As far as having to re-select your attack it probably won't be too big of an issue, as tapping on the enemy again to attack him would repeat the last selected attack.

That's even if something like this is considered for implementation. I will make more detailed notes on Google Docs that address that issue in order to still allow for quickly attacking.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Wyrmspawn wrote:I'd hate having to press buttons every time I want more attack power or attack chance. How about an option that lets you choose how you attack instead, so that once you've selected your way of attacking, you can jusst keep pressing your finger on the screen? I normally don't use the attack button, and I'd have a hard time getting used to even smaller ones.
i agree, i would want the option to just use one type of attack with the singular button (like it is now) instead of having more tiny buttons to push.

Great ideas going aroung here!

Nyktos: Love the suggestions for attacks you made. Whirlwind would be perfect for V0.7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Wyrmspawn wrote:I'd hate having to press buttons every time I want more attack power or attack chance. How about an option that lets you choose how you attack instead, so that once you've selected your way of attacking, you can jusst keep pressing your finger on the screen? I normally don't use the attack button, and I'd have a hard time getting used to even smaller ones.
i agree, i would want the option to just use one type of attack with the singular button (like it is now) instead of having more tiny buttons to push.

Great ideas going aroung here!

Nyktos: Love the suggestions for attacks you made. Whirlwind would be perfect for V0.7
I'd like to have the options to have these kinds of attacks, yet they probably aren't going to work. There could be something on your overview screen that allows you to change how you are attacking, yet it would be too tedious to go into if you wanted to attack with a High attack first, then change to a low attack...

Maybe there could be some sort of compromise with 1 attack button that allow you to use your selected attack, but provide combo-boxes that open up for quick selection of which hand does what, or if you would rather use a combat ability instead. Each time you selected attack it would use your same selection until you decided to change it...
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Taledus wrote: Maybe there could be some sort of compromise with 1 attack button that allow you to use your selected attack, but provide combo-boxes that open up for quick selection of which hand does what, or if you would rather use a combat ability instead. Each time you selected attack it would use your same selection until you decided to change it...
+1, I like to see easy solution which not slow you down, if you do not need to change attack style or type.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1