v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Attack styles.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Re: Attack styles.

Post by Taledus »

fiernaq wrote:The point being that any time combat is allowed to become more complex, it is always better to take the time to attack based on each unique situation rather than forming a generic "do this each time" or even coming up with a "plan of options" for generic situations. So yes, add in the choices to do more than just "attack" and people like me will want to use them. After all, that's why they're being put in. However, doing so will cause the game to be played at a much slower pace. It could now take 30 seconds to kill a monster compared to the 2 seconds it took before the complexity was added and all you had to do was tap the screen as fast as you could to end combat quicker before moving on to the next monster.

Regardless of whether or not the added complexity remains forced or optional it will never be in your best interest to just run around hitting stuff if you could instead pick and choose your style of attack to match your opponents weakness and if complexity is added then it will always take longer to kill the same number of opponents as it did back when you could just tap away at the screen.
I got you now. You are saying that if some advanced stuff was put in like this, because it has the possibility of making a combat fight last longer, to increase the amount of experience that is given in order to offset the additional time that would be taken tweaking during the fight...

Good point. If this stuff is ever looked at that would be something to address in order to balance out the time cost of combat options. +1
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

fiernaq wrote:I only have one small comment concerning all of these proposed changes to the combat system.
If you're going to make fighting more complex and detailed each fight will take longer meaning you will gain less XP/min. In order to compensate, you would need to raise the XP given by every monster.
Starting at level 1 I turn off all animations and loot windows and just blaze through the game stopping only to heal if I get low. Making the fight system more complex requiring multiple buttons and long presses and other snazzy whodingers and whatnots will only slow me down. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. Fallout had an incredibly awesome combat system that was quite complex and took quite a while but the XP gain was still good for the amount of time it took. Make the fight system in AT more complex and you'll want each monster to provide more XP per kill to make up for the loss in speed.
+1, I agee ... nice ideas here, but please do not make combat slover..
nyktos wrote:generally, i find hack & slash a bit boring...
and i usually prefer a deeper combat system to a simple one.
I agree hack & slash is a bit boring... but AT is that novadays. .
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

In all simplicity, we have a turn based combat system - you don't attack until you hit the button/screen.

If this were more Hack-n-slash we would constantly be clicking the button trying not to allow the NPC to attack in the first place.

While this idea is somewhat complex looking at the whole picture, I feel it still keeps the simple turn-based feel to it, while still allowing for more depth to other players who prefer to have a choice. Combat could still be just as fast as it is now, but if you wanted to change up a bit to increase certain areas, you could quickly do so without much effort.

Great thoughts though guys! Regardless of the pros or cons, there is a lot of really good points brought up for either way. ;)
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

It could be set up so that tapping like normal uses last setting (not to include special skills ie whirlwind) then you could set it once to the way that feels right then not worry about it again until you decided to change it :)

-edit-

Just had another thought, with the way the quickslots/map work, could add another container type under the chest for setting up battle styles... you have your default style which is set for screen taps like current system, then another customizable drawer menu for 3 other attack styles, settable in game either through combat menu or quickslot... Imho this would probably be the easiest way to deal with multiple combat styles :)
Last edited by phydeaux on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

phydeaux wrote:It could be set up so that tapping like normal uses last setting (not to include special skills ie whirlwind) then you could set it once to the way that feels right then not worry about it again until you decided to change it :)
That was somewhat how the brokendown post explains...you would have one button that keeps using the last attack (even Combat Abilities), and if you wanted to change to something else, just long click to bring up the list.

But using a Combat ability might not be wanted for each attack considering what is listed uses a lot of AP...so that could be a use once, then go back to the previously used attack...

That'd keep me from wandering around hitting Whirlwind constantly ;)