General Advice and Questions

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
js569
android_version: 4.3

General Advice and Questions

Post by js569 »

Hey!

Long-time lurker, first time poster.. I had a few questions about the way I'm doing things, and also am looking for some general advice..

How often do you guys use potions (bonemeal, or regular)?
- I'm currently lvl 24, and I'm currently in Iqhan cave, and if I want to go through fighting the bare-minimum monsters, I still find that I have to use potions to be able to get through (that or stand in a corner for what feels to be forever). This isn't only in Iqhan cave either, same goes for other places, like Charwood, and the path to Remgard.. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Am I too underleveled? Should I be somewhere else?

I feel like I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to have a build which balances both a high AC, and BC?

A lot of the gear I'm using is from the beginning of the game? Any advice on upgrades? At this point, I'm mostly leaning towards putting all my subsequent level-ups into increasing Block Chance.. Thoughts?

General thoughts and advice HIGHLY appreciated!!
LVL: 43
HP: 117
AC: 286%
AD: 29-43
BC: 106%/3

2 Balanced Steel Sword, Ring of Protector, Villains Ring, Enhanced Combat Boots, Troublemakers Gloves, Marrowtaint, Serpents Hauberk, Enhanced Combat Helm.

WA 1|BS 1|CS 2|IF 3|Reg 1|OHSP 1|LAP 1|FS:DW 2
Mayweed
VIP
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Re: General Advice and Questions

Post by Mayweed »

Hello & welcome to the forum.

Yes, it is totally normal that you need a lot of potions in the cave and on the way to Remgard with level 24.
At least it was normal for me back then ;-) I actually stepped back to easier areas to grind for some more
experience levels before I tried that again.
An advice on potions: If you are on a dangerous way, go back when you have consumed more than 40% of
your potions (but I'm sure, you're doing so already).

I think your stats are relatively balanced yet, perhaps you'll want some more AD with your next level ups.
Your BC seems ok for level 24.

About equipment:
You should purchase the Jewel of Fallhaven, as soon as you can afford it. It reduces your weapon's AP by -1.
So with the Flagstone Pride you'll probably get an extra hit per round.
What skills did you choose?
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

js569 wrote:How often do you guys use potions (bonemeal, or regular)?
- I'm currently lvl 24, and I'm currently in Iqhan cave, and if I want to go through fighting the bare-minimum monsters, I still find that I have to use potions to be able to get through (that or stand in a corner for what feels to be forever). This isn't only in Iqhan cave either, same goes for other places, like Charwood, and the path to Remgard.. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Am I too underleveled? Should I be somewhere else?
At level 24 that's normal. AT has some very difficult places, so you are going to get hit a lot, and the only way to get the HP back is either potions or patience.
js569 wrote:I feel like I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to have a build which balances both a high AC, and BC?
It depends on what you mean by "high". You cannot get as high a AC or BC as if you put everything into only one of them. but that should be obvious. If you mean can you get them both high enough for a viable build, the answer is yes. In fact, It's what I have been doing (and will continue to do!). I decided to go for a build that balanced everything: AD, AC, BC, HP, etc. I took IF early and often, so then HP take care of themselves. I also took Re, so I could build HP back up even with no potions. Eventually, I even took Re2 to double the rate at which I heal. I have relied on gear and skills to get my AC up: Polished Ring of Backstabbing or Villain's Ring, high AC weapons, etc, and Dual Wielding to get the benefit of two weapons. So most of my level ups I have used to boost AD and BC. I have also tried to choose gear that gives me a reasonable Critical Skill, because although it's not effective against every monster, when it is effective, it's very effective! I've also put skill points into Evasion, so I get the first hit more often, and can successfully flee more often. From this point forward I'll probably put all my skill points into Dodge until I have enough levels to get Taunt. Since that's purely defensive, I'll put my level ups mostly into AD, with some into AC.
js569 wrote:A lot of the gear I'm using is from the beginning of the game? Any advice on upgrades? At this point, I'm mostly leaning towards putting all my subsequent level-ups into increasing Block Chance.. Thoughts?
If you can get to the end of the Iqhan caves you will get something to replace Flagstone's pride. Get the JoF to replace Irogotu's Necklace.

What skills have you taken?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
js569

Post by js569 »

Hey thanks for the help!

In regards to the skills:
Weapon Accuracy 1
Bark Skin 1
Increased Fortitude 2
Regeneration 1
One-Handed Sword Proficiency
Light-armor Proficiency

I have one skill point that I'm saving for now, I'm thinking of investing it into Dual Wield, so I can eventually ditch my shield (which isn't too helpful) and use Flagostone's Pride, and the Dagger of the Shadow Priests...

Also, I think I need to find a better hat (currently only block+2), as well as better armour, because despite the armour being AWESOME (+3 HP, 5 AC, 12 BC, 10 Crit, 3-5 AD, and one Damage Resist), it also raises attack cost by 1 AP.. Any recommendations for these two?

2 Balanced Steel Sword, Ring of Protector, Villains Ring, Enhanced Combat Boots, Troublemakers Gloves, Marrowtaint, Serpents Hauberk, Enhanced Combat Helm.

rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

As an immediate goal, how does adding 50% to your damage per round sound? As a slightly longer range goal, how does doubling your damage per round sound? You currently have 10 AP to spend per round, and your attack cost is 4 AP, so you can get two hits per round. Get the JoF, which lowers your attack cost by 1 AP, then you can get three hits per round. Then get both levels of Combat Speed ASAP. That will give you 12 AP to spend per round, so you will get four hits per round. There is nothing you can do that will improve your build more than these two things. Spend the skill point you have saved on CS.

Dual Wield is one of those things that requires a commitment. To really get the benefit you need to get both levels of the fighting style and the specialization. Get both levels of CS first though.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
js569

Post by js569 »

rijackson741 wrote:As an immediate goal, how does adding 50% to your damage per round sound? As a slightly longer range goal, how does doubling your damage per round sound? You currently have 10 AP to spend per round, and your attack cost is 4 AP, so you can get two hits per round. Get the JoF, which lowers your attack cost by 1 AP, then you can get three hits per round. Then get both levels of Combat Speed ASAP. That will give you 12 AP to spend per round, so you will get four hits per round. There is nothing you can do that will improve your build more than these two things. Spend the skill point you have saved on CS.

Dual Wield is one of those things that requires a commitment. To really get the benefit you need to get both levels of the fighting style and the specialization. Get both levels of CS first though.
Good call!

But the issue is, my armor increases the cost of attacks by 1 AP, before I do that, I need to find a substitute for the Sturdy Leather Cuirass, any recommendations?

rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

js569 wrote:But the issue is, my armor increases the cost of attacks by 1 AP, before I do that, I need to find a substitute for the Sturdy Leather Cuirass, any recommendations?
Yes. Get the Villain's Leather Armor. It lowers your move cost by 1AP. So if you have the JoF and that armor, and you spend your skill point on CS (so your available AP is 11), you can either hit three times in one round (9 AP) or you can hit twice in one round and attempt to flee (11 AP; with no Evasion skill you have an 80% chance of fleeing).
There is a situation where you will lose available AP, and you can't complete certain quests without going through this. In my case, the Villain's Leather Armor was what saved me from being impossibly trapped (other than "teleport home by death", anyway).
js569

Post by js569 »

rijackson741 wrote:
js569 wrote:But the issue is, my armor increases the cost of attacks by 1 AP, before I do that, I need to find a substitute for the Sturdy Leather Cuirass, any recommendations?
Yes. Get the Villain's Leather Armor. It lowers your move cost by 1AP. So if you have the JoF and that armor, and you spend your skill point on CS (so your available AP is 11), you can either hit three times in one round (9 AP) or you can hit twice in one round and attempt to flee (11 AP; with no Evasion skill you have an 80% chance of fleeing).
Sounds good!! Thank you!

Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Duke »

Also, ditch the hat and get the Leather Cap 6BC (vilegard), no negatives. As for armor, I'd recommend the Lightweight Chainmail (crossraods)..you don't need to move, stand there like a man and take them down! :-)
FYI - you can't get combat speed two until level 30. But, I like your skill choices so far.
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1