v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Great game

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Pistos
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Great game

Post by Pistos »

Just saying hello to the community and developer(s). Got this game a few weeks ago, and I think it's really good. A fun way to while away a few minutes here and there when waiting in line, etc. Got my char up to level 17 or so. I think the game progresses nicely. Not too hard, not too easy, and levelling up doesn't take an excessive amount of grinding.

Thanks for the game, and thanks for choosing to make it open source.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Great game

Post by Zukero »

Hello Pistos, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for your kind words. We're hard at work trying to keep this game evolving.
Don't hesitate to post your ideas & suggestions.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Kokuma
android_version: 3.0

Post by Kokuma »

welcome

oh, and about the grinding..
you are going to see some SERIOUS grinding after you gain some more levels..
don't say I didn't warn you :)
Pistos

Post by Pistos »

Zukero wrote:Don't hesitate to post your ideas & suggestions.
Well, since you asked... :)

The main thing that bothers me at the moment is that there is too much room for error with the movement dpad. If you press too close to the center, nothing happens. If you press too far outside the circle, the game interprets it as "you want to move towards the tile that you just tapped? OKAY!" and this sometimes results in the character moving back and forth between two tiles because the input is alternating between "dpad tap" and "tile tap". The "sweet spot" seems to be tapping on the edge of the circle. Unfortunately, this is counterintuitive to anyone that has actually used a physical game controller with a dpad.

I guess one way to help with this issue is to have a setting that makes movement exclusively either "dpad tap" or "tile tap". In the former case, tapping the map on screen should never move the char. In the latter case, there would be no dpad, and you move by tapping the tile (direction?) you want to move to.

Other movement interfaces could be considered as well, such as swipe-and-hold.
Kokuma
android_version: 3.0

Post by Kokuma »

you CAN remove the D-pad, at the preferences screen.

in my case, i don't use it, because of the reasons you've written, and it gets frustrating trying to move around with a small, user-unfriendly D-pad.

of course, there IS a advantage using it, it's easier to move in straight lines(not diagonally, which the char tends to do unless you tap exactly up/below/left/right to the char)
Pistos

Post by Pistos »

Kokuma wrote:you CAN remove the D-pad, at the preferences screen.
Ah, right. Well, I tried that, and it doesn't feel as intuitive. I'll stick with the dpad. Just wish it were improved.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

it seems there are so many players who are having problem with the d-pad(including me).
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

The D-Pad indeed seem troublesome.
I'll set the thinking engine loose, and try to come up with something.
1st idea: the D-Pad is invisible, and appears centered on anywhere you place your finger in the moveable area. You then have to swipe in some direction to make the character move... just a thought though. There can be a long time before something sees its way into the code.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
Pistos

Post by Pistos »

Zukero wrote:the D-Pad is invisible, and appears centered on anywhere you place your finger in the moveable area. You then have to swipe in some direction to make the character move... just a thought though. There can be a long time before something sees its way into the code.
I've played a game before with this kind of interface. (Though no actual visible dpad appeared.). Swipe and hold to move in that direction. You could even continue holding, but swipe in a new direction (and keep holding) to change directions. You only ever picked your finger up off the screen if you wanted to stop moving, or if you ran out of physical real estate (touch-sensitive screen area). It seemed to work well.

I don't know if that would be harder to code, though than the simple DPad that's already in place in Andor's Trail.
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Well, my version would be easier to code as there would be no need to compute swipe orientation but only angle between current finger position and position when finger touched. You'll never run out of screen estate too ;)