This game needs to be totally rebalanced

Discussions of the development process of the game.
tactical371
android_version: 2.0

Re: This game needs to be totally rebalanced

Post by tactical371 »

rijackson741 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:22 pm Hits per turn: The forums go back a long way, and things have changed, so much of what is said about equipment is obsolete. Especially this. In almost all situations low attack cost weapons were better. The only real exception was monsters with very high DR. That's why we introduced the damage modifier. The numbers for this are not arbitrary, they are based on a very large number of builds from different players. High attack cost weapons will always have a higher modifier, to make up for the lower number of hits. On average, players will get the same amount of damage regardless of the weapon attack cost, but as already explained, that's just on average. In practice it depends on your build characteristics and the combat situation.
Yeah, I thought that low attack cost weapons were usually better except when dealing with DR, which I learned from this forum. If I am reading a post from 2015 or something, how do I know if the information is current today or if it has become wrong? You even link an example walkthrough on the top of the forums from 2014, which is presumably obsolete now.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

The low attack cost weapons were utterly overpowered, especially the quick strike dagger.
We have rebalanced the combat calculations and nerfed this dagger and improved slow weapons, so the old posts are out of date about this now.
Nut
Canuck
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by Canuck »

After the rebalancing, Shadow of the Slayer together with Jewel of Fallhaven is quite a good two-handed weapon for the middle levels: two hard hits per round, good crit, and regain a point on every kill (which keeps the HP from creeping down when you're fighting a swarm).
WarWolf01
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by WarWolf01 »

As always, I am definitely with Lich King. I already said it ( but most times I always just shutdown) but the name NEEDS an overview and an actual change to the system. The same "it is an game of choices an consequences" pep talk is true, but it is beginning to become a clucht for the development of this game, that has so many potential. I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but it is a good opportunity for an overhaul in te game , much more in the combat aspect of it.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

WarWolf,

You do realize that this is an entirely free game bring created by a handful of people in their free time for fun? We are not doing this full-time or even getting paid. We are doing this for the satisfaction of seeing others enjoyment. With that being said, do you now understand that when you write: "opportunity for an overhaul in te game", that this is going to take away our time from creating new content and getting the other three cities, Undertell and Carn Tower built?
We already spent two plus years improving the balance of the game between levels one and 30.
The more help we can get, the more people we have to spend their time on things like this.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

I know very this very well Antinson. Please, don't think ghat I trying to undermine the dev team efforts, sorry for ghe possible misunderstanding. I do enjoy this game a lot as it is. And I not saying that this "overhaul" have ho be immediately produced. But as the game is getting bigger, and closer to 1.0, there are still things that can be changed, improved, or even removed for the betterment of the experience.
We already had a great fix with the battle system with ghe introduction of the dmgmod, but there is more that we can try to do before everything is fully set in stone. I know, I sound like an Karen, and I sorry for it. I'm not trying to be hypocrite, cause I may be good to give ideas an possible solutions, but I don't have any experience nor an pc to help with hhe development of the game, so in ghe end I may not be helping at all... But I trying, truthfully to provide help...
Antison

Post by Antison »

My point here is that we are a limited team with limited time, and we're working on projects that we want to work on. Projects that are fun to us. Projects that we deem has a value add or even required. We not interested in doing a game engine overhaul.

If somebody wants to spend the time doing the analysis, do the development and the testing and then pitch it to us, we're all for it.
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

What would be the data needed for analysis? I could start an thread focused on it with on hands players perspective, and use testing it withbthe community?
Antison

Post by Antison »

I'm talking about the software development cycle.
Analysis needs to be done to determine if there's a problem and if there is, is there a solution. Then, is that solution doable? Then do it and test it. Lots and lots and lots of work.
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

I understand it, even though I don't know about the coding part. But if we can get the community to help, we can pinpoint and list what is in dire need to be changed, remodeled, implemented or removed. This way ghe meta analysis would be faster and more accurate. And we can think about possible solutions on the go, voting on the best possible course, that would be doable with the dev team without becoming an nightmare for you guys.