v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

A little help with content creation

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: A little help with content creation

Post by Zukero »

That's the point where it gets technical.
To actually test your content on a phone, you need to set up a development environment with android studio, create a project from another copy of the game source code, unpack the zip you made with ATCS over the source code that android studio uses and then recompile the game to get an APK file you can install on your phone.

The contribution guide can help, although it is a bit outdated (uses eclipse instead of android studio).
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Shadow Slayer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Uuuhh

Is ther an easier way, andors trail for pc or somerhing :?:

I really dont see why you have to do all this crazy stuff just to play a couple of new quests, I don't even know how to get android studio(not on google play on my phone at least) and how to unzip your file on a phone and put it into a app!?!?

Please tell me there is an easy way...
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

To do it on a phone, you need a special app like AIDE. It's not free, and I never used it, but someone from the community already managed to build Andor's Trail with it.
Android studio is PC only. So is eclipse.

There aren't shortcuts for this part (yet?).
To play a quest, it must be part of the game, and to make it part of the game, you have to integrate it into the source code and build an APK from this source code.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Shadow Slayer wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am Is ther an easier way, andors trail for pc or somerhing :?:
Sort of. You need Android Studio.
Shadow Slayer wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 amI really dont see why you have to do all this crazy stuff just to play a couple of new quests, I don't even know how to get android studio(not on google play on my phone at least) and how to unzip your file on a phone and put it into a app!?!?

Please tell me there is an easy way...
You need all this crazy stuff because that's the way it works. In theory it could be made that just throwing a zip file at the app on your phone updates the content, but only with a lot of work, and probably a lot of overhead that would affect game performance.

Download the sources from the Master branch here: https://github.com/Zukero/andors-trail/, and put them in a folder somewhere. Download and install Android Studio. In Android Studio go to "File", "New", "New Project", and point it to the folder where you put the sources. Click on the Run button on the toolbar (green, rightwards pointing triangle). That allows you run an Android emulator on your PC, and therefore the version of AT in your project. If you get error messages or can't figure out the details in those steps (one or both of which is quite likely; I did not find it nearly as simple as my short description), post here. Do NOT attempt to update the master sources with your material until you have the emulator working for the current master! If things don't work that would just add another complication to figuring out why.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Shadow Slayer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

How do you create andors trail with your update in AIDE?
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I can't help you with that because I've never done it. It can be done though: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4120&p=39880
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
BiasZebra
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by BiasZebra »

For Android Studio, is it the source code from github or the apk from github? I'm trying to get Android Studio to work properly and at least open up the main game before I try to add anything in, but I genuinely don't know what file I should open to run, just opening the main file has the run button greyed out.
draze

Post by draze »

The source code from Github: https://github.com/NutAndor/andors-trail
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

BiasZebra wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:21 am For Android Studio, is it the source code from github or the apk from github? I'm trying to get Android Studio to work properly and at least open up the main game before I try to add anything in, but I genuinely don't know what file I should open to run, just opening the main file has the run button greyed out.
You can use ATCS to view the current game content and create new content:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4806

You can download/clone the game source code from the official repo:
https://github.com/AndorsTrailRelease/andors-trail

If you then want to compile your changes you need to setup the 2.3. version of Android Studio. Newer version will not work. See this thread for futher instructions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4560
BiasZebra
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by BiasZebra »

Gonk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 pm

You can use ATCS to view the current game content and create new content:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4806

You can download/clone the game source code from the official repo:
https://github.com/AndorsTrailRelease/andors-trail

If you then want to compile your changes you need to setup the 2.3. version of Android Studio. Newer version will not work. See this thread for futher instructions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4560
I'm getting a "JUnit version 3.8 or later expected:" error in AS whenever I try to run AS, and I'm not sure how to fix that. Tell you the truth, AS is still pretty foreign to me. Do you think this is a simple fix or did I mess up badly with setting up AS?