Andor's Trail on a big screen

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
pelligrini

Andor's Trail on a big screen

Post by pelligrini »

I picked up a microHDMI cable to hook my phone up to a HDMI monitor in my office and other house TVs. I had to use an app called realHDMI on my droid X, as the phone won't mirror the display to HDMI, just certain programs that use video or photo overlays.

The first thing I tried was Andor's Trail. It looked pretty good on a LG 23" monitor, even better on a larger TV. I had no idea that the rainbow colored Iqhan Priests had faces. All the graphics looked really impressive. Going from playing it on a 3.75" wide screen to about a 28" wide display was cool. I wish it could be full screen. RealHDMI will only display the phone resolution, 1280x720, so it only fills the center portions of my monitor and TVs.

Controlling it was different too. I normally always play the game in portrait. It will only display landscape on through HDMI. The display will only be on one device, either TV or phone. When it's on the big screen I have to interpret as to where to press the phone display. Using the D-pad helped a little. I haven't used it much at all either.

It was still pretty fun, and I'm sure it'll be better as I get used to the controls. It sure was nice to be able to easily read everything. (I'm way overdue for a trip to an optometrist.)

Has anyone played the game on anything bigger than a tablet?
Lvl: 95, XP: 15472157, Gold: 741302, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 1 , RoL 1, ChaR 4, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 2, VSH 1
HP: 136, AC: 278%, AD: 42-46, AP: 3, CS: 76 CM: 5.25, CC:33%, BC: 130%, DR: 1, UPD: 2012/7/18
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Andor's Trail on a big screen

Post by oskarwiksten »

Thanks for testing, pelligrini!

Do the graphics scale well to that display, or do they look blurry when scaled up? The images we use for maps, monsters and items are only 32x32 pixels in the .png files that the game reads, so I have a feeling they might get blurry when scaled up. Maybe your device handles the scaling well, so that they still look good?

Do you see about the same amount of map as you do on your phone (about 10x10 tiles)?

Great to hear that it worked so well!
/Oskar
pelligrini

Re: Andor's Trail on a big screen

Post by pelligrini »

It was a little fuzzy when displayed on a 42" TV when standing close, but when I played from a distance it looked pretty good to me. (I know for a fact that I need some glasses.) I played for an hour or so last night while in bed. The TV was about 18' away from my eyes. The monsters and background tiles aren't crystal clear sharp, but I wasn't expecting them to be. I don't have too much of a problem with low resolution graphics though. I'm looking forward to playing some old NES games from my phone on the TV. I have read that I could use a bluetooth game controller for it too.

The new monitor in my office and the TV have a native resolution of 1920x1080. My DroidX phone is 1280x720. I haven't been able to figure out how to get either display to go fullscreen with the signal from the phone yet. The signal through the realHDMI app is the same resolution as my phone. The display of Andor's trail on my 23" monitor is about 13 1/2" wide, showing the same resolution and aspect ratio that my phone would.

I'm not sure how many tiles a 1280x720 display shows, but I see the exact same on the bigger displays as I would my phone.
Lvl: 95, XP: 15472157, Gold: 741302, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 1 , RoL 1, ChaR 4, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 2, VSH 1
HP: 136, AC: 278%, AD: 42-46, AP: 3, CS: 76 CM: 5.25, CC:33%, BC: 130%, DR: 1, UPD: 2012/7/18