v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Can we expect a new Beta version soon?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Jfaulk

Can we expect a new Beta version soon?

Post by Jfaulk »

Hello all,

I'am currently having major withdrawals, in waiting for a new version of Andor's Trail. :D

So...I was wondering, if we can have an inside scoop, of what is going on right now in the development of this game?

Can you(Oskar) give us a little spoiler of what you are working on currently, what you have done since the newest version was released, and what can we expect for the new version?

Also, if an Alpha, or Beta version can be coming soon?

thanks
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Can we expect a new Beta version soon?

Post by oskarwiksten »

Hi JFaulk, nice to hear from you.

The good old "when is the next release"-question eh? If you want the release to happen faster you are ofcourse welcome to contribute to the development of the game :)

Our plan that we discussed earlier for v0.6.9 was
1) New editor for monsters, items and quests
2) Gameplay on tablets
3) Temporary effects
4) Some new content

Where (1) being by far the largest and most important issue to tackle. These are all mostly done, or are being worked on. Status of each of them is as follows:
1) A developer preview version of the new editor is available that we have discussed briefly around. The new editor will combine all the previous editors into one single jQuery editor that will be a lot easier to work in, and not just a quick hack that the previous editors were. This will help us be more efficient when creating new content in the future.
2) This is now solved in svn.
3) Mostly done. Coding for it is done. For example, poison and bless can now be implemented, and items can improve more stats than before. We just need the editors to catch up on creating the updated content. See (1).
4) About 80 new wonderful maps have been made by michischmid. These have to be populated with monsters, items and quests. See (1).

Most of my time right now goes to coding the new editor. In total, the new maps look great, and the improved item system with temporary effects will be a really nice reward for you players. I'm planning some very interesting new items :D
"Lifesteal" anyone? Or what about "Blind rage"?
There are also a few other things that have been committed to the code since the last release, see the following commit log for the things that I have coded so far:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/source/list

There's also the issue list of the things that are marked for v0.6.9, that might give some indication of the status:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... el%3A0.6.9
(See the "Status" column)

Hope that answers your question JFaulk. Looking forward to improving the gameplay for you players even more!
/Oskar
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

Hey oskar, how do you think about the new waterway maps?
Again i wanted to try something new and now i'm waiting for a reply if those hit you sense ;-)
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

Again, your maps are exceptionally good looking michischmid! Very well done.
However, there are a lot of quest dialogue to be written for blackwater mountain and Loneford. Writing dialogue for the waterway maps would postpone the release even further. I would say that we release the blackwater and Loneford maps as soon as they are done, and keep the waterway maps until the release after this one.
/Oskar
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Oskar,

You avoided specifying anykind of time table. When can we expect a new release? Days? Weeks? Months?
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

tek wrote:Oskar,

You avoided specifying anykind of time table. When can we expect a new release? Days? Weeks? Months?
I don't mean to sound snarky but, you can expect a new release once all the things Oskar stated above are completed. We set objectives for each release not a time table.

This project is a hobby, if we start setting release dates it becomes more like work than something done for enjoyment.

I understand everyone is ready for more and would like faster releases, even I personally would like releases to happen faster.

The only way we are going to get faster releases is for more people to help in whatever way they can, be it quests, dialog, code, maps, artwork, storylines, ideas, bug testing, etc. Even just advertising the project to your friends in order to grow the community further.

Remember every little bit, no matter how small, helps the project.
Jfaulk

Post by Jfaulk »

i would help, but i have no idea how to do anything lol.
Antison

Post by Antison »

I could help if I had the time as I am a sr. .net software engineer, but I have to
much responsibilities at home. Otherwise I would love to as it is a welcome change to working on business applications.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
ArcAngL

Post by ArcAngL »

Ahh.. the standard dev reply to the standard eta question. Gotta love it. It'll be ready when its ready =P

I would consider helping but don't really know where to start. I figure ill wait until oskar is done with the new editing tool first. Then maybe ill take a look at it and monkey around with it sometime. Writing quest dialogue and adding easter eggs would be fun. My favorite quest dialogues were from fallout 1 and 2. The kind of funny conversations that make you want to explore all the possible lines of dialogue.
Level: 34
Experience: 689808
AP Cost: 3
Atk Chance: 146%
Atk Damage: 20-21
Crit Chance: 25%
Crit Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 51%

Updated: 4/15/11
Droid X 2.3.3 Gingerbread (Leaked "official" non-rooted manual install )
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

I didn't know it either. But i took several looka at the googlecode site and read through the tutorials. So until now i have made around 100 maps for oskar.
It's up to you. All you need is a bit of time to understand the editors and how they work...
Go and get us help! ;)
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!