v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

taunt skill

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
pokerjunky
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: taunt skill

Post by pokerjunky »

Pyrizzle wrote:I used an old build with all my skill points still unused and...

I was able to get taunt, but really didn't see much change as far as gameplay goes...

Think i am going to go a different direction with my build.
:mrgreen:
interesting! thanks for checking that. was it a high AC/AD/criticals build? i guess taunt wouldn't really come into play if fights are over in a turn or two.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

pokerjunky wrote:interesting! thanks for checking that. was it a high AC/AD/criticals build? i guess taunt wouldn't really come into play if fights are over in a turn or two.
Stats: (unequipped)
Lvl 66
XP: 5284840
AP: 3 / 10
AC: 185%
AD: 25
BC: 27%

The build has high CC, and CM but when i was testing out the taunt effect i was not actually swinging at the NPC (otherwise they would go splat), either the chance that they loose AP is too low or the amount of AP they loose isn't enough to have a big effect on gameplay.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pokerjunky

Post by pokerjunky »

Pyrizzle wrote: Stats: (unequipped)
Lvl 66
XP: 5284840
AP: 3 / 10
AC: 185%
AD: 25
BC: 27%

The build has high CC, and CM but when i was testing out the taunt effect i was not actually swinging at the NPC (otherwise they would go splat), either the chance that they loose AP is too low or the amount of AP they loose isn't enough to have a big effect on gameplay.
level 66 without using any skill points, that's incredible! a little discouraging to hear about taunt, but i'll keep plugging away at it. it would require several misses to take a meaningful chunk of their AP. perhaps a high enough BC will be the key to unlocking that skill's power? even then, it would only be truly useful until i have the AD/AC to kill them in a couple rounds. if that's the case, it would be more efficient to put those improvements straight into AD/AC.

mostly i just want to see an enemy reduced to paralysis by my mocking laughter as they swing wildly at the air :twisted:
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

pokerjunky wrote:mostly i just want to see an enemy reduced to paralysis by my mocking laughter as they swing wildly at the air :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

pokerjunky wrote:mostly i just want to see an enemy reduced to paralysis by my mocking laughter as they swing wildly at the air :twisted:
One of the many reasons i love my DR build which is maxed out at 14DR (16 is easily possible in the next ;) )

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

nether

Post by nether »

All of this hub-hub about evasion.... I am mourning the lives of two beautiful skill points today :lol:

At least I didn't grab taunt yet.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Thanks for trying out Taunt, Pyro, looks like it might not be worth the skill point.
Nether, I still think evasion is good, especially if you're going for a "hit first" strategy, so I wouldn't mourn too heavily.

I might still get the 4 levels of Dodge, and then decide later if I want to get Taunt or not. It does seem like it won't be useful if I continue with my plan to level up until I can kill everything in one turn.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
pokerjunky

Post by pokerjunky »

what i optimize for is leveling as fast as possible in real time. this allows me to build more characters and experience the game at a faster pace. here is my reasoning, let me know if my assumptions match reality.

i'm still new to the game but so far i have been drawn to high BC builds. it seems to let me play 'above' my level better, since i can go a lot of rounds without getting hit. this allows me to level a lot faster since the ratio of exp/fight vs exp/level is larger. by setting Combat Speed to Instant i can just tap really fast while watching my HP. fights are over in seconds even if they go 20+ rounds and i get a visible bump up in exp. not getting hit also neutralizes conditions and bleeding wounds, which ramp up sharply mid-game.

if this high BC approach is as comparatively strong as i perceive it to be, then Taunt will complement my approach very well. now i will be playing above my level, not getting hit, and not having to go as many rounds because the enemy slowly gets paralyzed. so i see its biggest strength as allowing me to play enemies far more powerful than i am. naturally, this becomes a moot point in late-game since at some point i will be able to kill anything rapidly.

what do you guys think?
nether

Post by nether »

pokerjunky wrote:what i optimize for is leveling as fast as possible in real time. this allows me to build more characters and experience the game at a faster pace. here is my reasoning, let me know if my assumptions match reality.

i'm still new to the game but so far i have been drawn to high BC builds. it seems to let me play 'above' my level better, since i can go a lot of rounds without getting hit. this allows me to level a lot faster since the ratio of exp/fight vs exp/level is larger. by setting Combat Speed to Instant i can just tap really fast while watching my HP. fights are over in seconds even if they go 20+ rounds and i get a visible bump up in exp. not getting hit also neutralizes conditions and bleeding wounds, which ramp up sharply mid-game.

if this high BC approach is as comparatively strong as i perceive it to be, then Taunt will complement my approach very well. now i will be playing above my level, not getting hit, and not having to go as many rounds because the enemy slowly gets paralyzed. so i see its biggest strength as allowing me to play enemies far more powerful than i am. naturally, this becomes a moot point in late-game since at some point i will be able to kill anything rapidly.

what do you guys think?

As Pyrizzle said, taunt only really does two things at this point due to the amount of AP enemies use for attacks:

- Nothing at all (monster only has 1\2 attacks )
- Blocks at least 1 attack (monster has two to three attacks)

Due to the fact that at the most, monsters have up to 3 attacks per round I believe. So with your playstyle, I think the points would be better spent into just dodge for the BC which is hard to get through level ups really, or some other focus like damage resistance.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Those frogs seem to get a lot of attacks per turn. I think the other problem is that if your AC and AD are high enough, if you don't kill something in your first turn, you probably will in the second.

So for a "high level" skill, Taunt might not be necessary.

Also, if you're trying to level up as fast as possible in real time, you should also consider Quick Learner, to get extra XP for each kill.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18