v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Greetings and observations

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Mourngrim
android_version: 4.0

Greetings and observations

Post by Mourngrim »

Hello from Scotland. Congratulations on making a fabulous game, and building a great community around it. I can appreciate what a labour of love this is and you are doing a fantastic job!

I'd love to offer my help in any way, although due to lack of skill it could only be quest and dialog stuff, as I can't code or draw :)

I haven't played all the way through (those pesky ghosts near Lodar swamp me) but I believe I've been through most of the game now, and I'd like to offer my observations:

Large parts of the map no longer make sense. I understand that new sections are added at each update, but I feel that the map is not then reconsidered as a whole. For example Fallhaven should have a quick and easy link to the main road (probably straight East). Strategically and economically, the people would demand it, to take advantage of the trade on the main road. To maintain the current pathing for quests and level progression, it could be a road under construction or only passable by higher level characters by some medium. There are similar issues with the road to Remgard and others. While they make great game play, they don't really work if it was a real world.

Continuity/Story Progression: I've found myself becoming reliant on the forums for a "what to do next" at a few points, something that I feel should be in game. Story tellers, rumour mongers, town criers, passing traders.... there is an endless way of introducing pointers, exactly like the adventurer in Remgard talking about O Crystals (although they are mentioned earlier in Charwood).

Loop quests: There are a few points where you have to grind for a bit for cash or levels. Like the man in the old waystation to Remgard, a couple more NPCs offering a small cash and/or XP reward takes some of the edge off the farming.

Economy: What is up with the pricing? Why is wild meat so highly valued in a farming community? Do the monsters eat the cows and pigs? There should be some reason that the characters know. Why are gems and things so cheap? I'm not suggesting you redesign your economy, but some in game reasoning could explain it. Farmers need meat more than diamonds, ploughs more than swords...

Legendary: Back to rumours and pointers. I shouldn't have to learn about Rols and things from the forums, armourers should gossip about them over a flagon of mead, or hint about them in shops.

That's enough for now. I hope you take these as helpful observations rather than damning criticisms. Typing this on my phone, so please forgive typos etc.

I look forward to watching the game and community grow.

M
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 86, AC: 256%, AD: 30-35, AP: 3, ECC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 108%, DR: 1
noamik
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Greetings and observations

Post by noamik »

Hi Mourngrim,

if you really want to help with quests and dialogs, feel free to pm me about your ideas or to post them into my thread: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4785

I'm currently working on a large area and have plenty of space to include all kinds and types of quests. You are also free to invent characters and backstory for any of the buildings (and names for the buildings) you see there, since I haven't done any of that yet as well. Since you are from Scotland I suppose that you will come up with names and stuff a lot easier than me.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

oh welcome! that's a lot coming from you.
but the world of AT is developing i.e. people from different parts of world making progress together and its like all peoles not grows at same place. so considering the era the AT is in, the current roads totally make sense.
and as for the economy the gems cant fill your stomach nor can give you any power in any way so food is more important thing than gems don't you think.

and I'm looking forward for nice quest ideas from you.
happy hunting.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I agree that not having a path from Fallhaven to the road is not logical. The villagers would have made their own, probably next to the graveyard. I don't agree about Remgard though. It's just a remote, very out-of-the-way place.

As for the price of gems, an in game explanation might be a little tricky

Kid: "Why are these gems I have so worthless."
NPC: "Because they are really common. You have surely noticed that many animals carry them around."
Kid: "Yes, I have noticed that. I have never understood why animals carry cut polished gems around. I have asked my father many times, but he always evades the question. Can you explain this to me?"
NPC: "Well kid, I guess you are getting to the age where you will find this out anyway, so I may as well be the one to break it to you. You are not real. None of us are. Everything you see is just part of a game, including you. We are only here for the entertainment of others, and I guess they decided animals should carry gems around."
Kid: "Nooooo! It can't be true :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: "

:lol:
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

You took the blue pill, didn't you!
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Moerit
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Moerit »

rijackson741 wrote: NPC: "Well kid, I guess you are getting to the age where you will find this out anyway, so I may as well be the one to break it to you. You are not real. None of us are. Everything you see is just part of a game, including you. We are only here for the entertainment of others, and I guess they decided animals should carry gems around."
Awesome explanation jackson :D, really like that! We need that dialogue somewhe hidden in the corner of some cellar or somewhere ;)

Welcome to the forum Mourngrim,

If you like to create some rumors (what i really appreaciate) you are able to edit the conversationlists in the content editor.
Just pick out the character you would like to add some rumor (If its hard to find (sometime several charakters are together in one conversationfile), you should download the "raw"-folder and perform a search-in-document for the charackters name. Notepad++ is one programm of many that have this feature)) - import the text into the content editor and start editing.
It takes just a few time to get familiar with the content editor, its quite intuitive.
If your changes are done you can post the exported code in the forum (favourite in a spoiler, and maybe in another thread) or send it to a Developer who can make a pullrequest :)
Don't hasitate to start editing ;)
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 151, AC: 248%, AD: 29-40, AP: 4, ECC: 22%, CM: -, BC: 160%, DR: 5
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

Thanks!
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

I like the idea of adding a path to the Duleian Road from Fallhaven! Will be done! :D
Thanks for this awesome idea!
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Mayweed
VIP
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mayweed »

Ian wrote:I like the idea of adding a path to the Duleian Road from Fallhaven! Will be done! :D
Thanks for this awesome idea!
Of course, this subject has already been discussed before ;)
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3943
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

If there is path to the road at the start of the game then the starter area becomes very large: everything from Loneford to Vilegard (and beyond, when the road is extended). I think adding a connection later (as suggested in the thread Mayweed referenced) is a good idea, but not until you can make it to the main road anyway.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1