v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Ripped Off in Remgard

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Zurls
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Ripped Off in Remgard

Post by Zurls »

So I finally felt I was at a level that I could attempt Remgard. I read about it -
the choice between siding with Algangror and getting the Marrowtaint necklace, and siding with Remgard and getting the (awesome sounding) equipment upgrade. So I thought that since Marrowtaint is just a better version of the Jewel of Fallhaven - which I have - that I would go with the (awesome sounding) equipment upgrade.

Right? Man did I get screwed and misled that these two choices were even remotely equivalent.
Not only is nearly every item in the game NOT an item that this hack can upgrade, he can barely upgrade 3 items that he sells (and there is some controversy as to whether he can even do that!).

Man, this is the first big disappointment that I have found in this game. Anyone going to Remgard for the first time, take this advice:
Side with Algangror and ignore anyone who says there is the remotest benefit in helping Remgard. This is just so badly configured. Who thought that this was even close to being a decent trade-off??!! Why not fix this problem (and it IS a problem) so that Rothses can slightly "improve" a random element of any armor or weapon just once for a large gold amount? That would be comparable

I've been playing this game every day since I downloaded it, but I have to say - after getting screwed over like this, I'm taking the weekend off, and may rethink coming back. This. Really. Feels bad .
Last edited by Zukero on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No swearing please. Family Friendly forum.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Ripped Off in Remgard

Post by ace »

first of all this game is an RPG and is focused (according to me) on the choices the player makes and charecter devlops on the basis of these choices. every choice a player makes have silent consequences or will have in future so if you are siding with the evil/dark you may get better gears that may look better at that time in comparison of the things provided by good/light but they are certainly going to be useful in future. who knows if you can upgrade more gears in futures or remove negative actor cobdition from equipments or mead type potions.(all rumors).
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Zurls

Post by Zurls »

Which is great - in the future. I understand and really appreciate the idea in this game about making choices for your character that will have ramifications later, like prim vs. Blackwater, etc. and hope to see even more of this. But it is presented as a choice between somewhat-equal options, and this is WILDLY not even close. Not even remotely. And the reason it has made me mad is that I looked into the matter in advance, and even then did not discover that my choice was actually between one of the best items in the game, and absolutely nothing (right now, but maybe less than nothing later).

So I just wanted to make sure that anyone else trying to make an informed decision on this didn't feel, like me, that they had researched it and STILL got boned on their choice. Yes, the info is on this site, if you bore down 8 pages into a conversations about Marrowtaint to find out.

But as a consolation
I got a felt hat in addition to a useless option, instead of the best necklace in the game, so... yeah.
IMHO an aspect of the game that makes you put the game down in disgust and not pick it back up for days or weeks is something that those developing the game might want to look at fixing. Suggestions for balancing it:
As mentioned, make it so you can give a weapon or armor to Rothses and, for a large amount of gold he will increase one random aspect of the item (with a few provisos/exceptions like that the item must have more than one aspect, legendary items are exempted, etc.), OR taking the side of Remgard allows a side quest giving you something equivalent to Marrowtaint perhaps a special ability or increase on an existing ability, OR virtually anything other that what happens now.

Also, as a work in progress I wanted to make sure that this info was placed here for consideration as to future tweaking. Unfortunately my experience so far in suggesting things (and what I have seen in others making suggestions) is that there is a component of this community who seem to scold every suggestion as "bad idea; here's why" - not the most conducive to feeling like this is a community supportive of suggestions on a work in progress. Not every suggestion is a good one, but getting slapped making a suggestion makes sure that those good suggestions will not get left.

As mentioned before, I have loved this game since finding it and have played it every day, usually for multiple hours. I am taking the weekend off and will see what I think about picking it back up in a few days.
Kokuma
android_version: 3.0

Post by Kokuma »

same here, since when i found out about remgard, i didn't read about the quests(it makes the game a bit boring, knowing the story in advance...) and just helped out the remgard folks, cause I didn't know you could help the witch a second time, getting THE BEST necklace, and when i finished the quests (still blissfully unaware that ive scewed up, since i didn't make any back up files, so to do the quest again, the most recent save file other than the one i'm using is before ive finished the green maze area quests, which im NOT willing to do again, for the sake of the necklace, and even before ive set off for remgard) and when I saw the guy telling me the smith could upgrade some of my items, I was like "LOL! I'm upgrading my balanced steel swords! my armor!" and the guy tells me he can't. :(
after i saved, i searched the forum, and what do i get? not only iv'e missed the best necklace, the upgrade thing is useless to me since that character is a dual wielding one, and the most he can do is upgrading the shield he sells, which i'm not using..
it really is unbalanced
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I agree it does seem very unbalanced. Of course, what we don't know is what the possible future consequences of helping the witch are. I'm not sure anyone does, including the developers, but maybe those of us that helped her and got the necklace will rue the day we made that choice, and you guys will be laughing :| .
I messed up the Dark Protector quest, and therefore don't have the helm. In fact, I really messed it up, and didn't get the blessing either :( So I'm hoping that those that took one or the other will have to pay some horrible price later in the game :twisted:
I think making the upgrade of any item possible would require some coding. Currently, it just changes one drop list for another. The list of available upgrades could easily be increased though, as could the scale of the upgrades.

Lastly, although it probably doesn't need to be said at this point, creating a save game before any major decision is taken can't hurt. In this respect, I wish we could name the save games directly in AT. Currently, I create a save game, and then use a file manager to create a folder such as "Just before I decide not to help the witch", and copy the save game into it. That works, but it's a little clumsy.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Kokuma

Post by Kokuma »

rijackson741 wrote:I agree it does seem very unbalanced. Of course, what we don't know is what the possible future consequences of helping the witch are. I'm not sure anyone does, including the developers, but maybe those of us that helped her and got the necklace will rue the day we made that choice, and you guys will be laughing :| .
I messed up the Dark Protector quest, and therefore don't have the helm. In fact, I really messed it up, and didn't get the blessing either :( So I'm hoping that those that took one or the other will have to pay some horrible price later in the game :twisted:
I think making the upgrade of any item possible would require some coding. Currently, it just changes one drop list for another. The list of available upgrades could easily be increased though, as could the scale of the upgrades.

Lastly, although it probably doesn't need to be said at this point, creating a save game before any major decision is taken can't hurt. In this respect, I wish we could name the save games directly in AT. Currently, I create a save game, and then use a file manager to create a folder such as "Just before I decide not to help the witch", and copy the save game into it. That works, but it's a little clumsy.
i did save, its just that I didn't know you could help the witch..
oh and too bad you got neither on the dark protecter quest.. but since the skill goes with helping that guy, i guess it wont make any difference whether you have the skill or not as far as you spared him if something DOES get implemented in the future :D
Act of God

Post by Act of God »

I, too, opted to help the good people of Remgard and am truly saddened that you miss out on one of the best items in the game in such a lopsided quest-option. I always knew that I missed out on the amulet, but today I actually looked up what its stats were....OMG I feel worse!

Not cool, not cool...
Smash
Lvl:54 XP:2908854 Gold:163,443 Hp:112 AC:242 Ad:27-44 Ch:14 BC:135 DR: 5

skills:
WA:2. HH:2 BS:1 CS:2 QL:1 C:1 CE:1 IF:1 R:1 1H:1 LA:1 WS:1
L/E
ROLS:1 OC:6 ChaR:1
JonLin
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by JonLin »

What is needed is either another way to get Marrowtaint. Or a new amulet. Perhaps an Amulet of War.

With something like -1 AP +7 Critical. And maybe +5% AC.

Or a quest that lets you combine amulets.

Something like 10 JoF + 10 Venomscale = Amulet of War Critical +7 -1 AP.
Level242 HP692 AP4 AC385 AD176-200 BC230
Fighting Style: Way of the Monk
RoLS2 RoL2 ElyR2 ChaR1 GoLF2 ShaF5
SRoV3 VSH6 WMC4 GoW4 HoF2 BD1 HS1 WoB2
Kokuma

Post by Kokuma »

JonLin wrote:What is needed is either another way to get Marrowtaint.
hmm, a nice idea, and it's not something unavailable.
the witch DOES say she got the Marrowtaint at Nor City, so a quest for those who missed out the chance to get it could get it there.
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Growler »

In some aspects of this game (such as here, re the relative minor payoffs of siding with Remgard town/folks vs the seemingly evil witch), notions of Good & Evil are what I've often thought: Evil seeks every advantage & shortcut it can find to attain its desires, regardless the harm to others -- while Good endures the long way around..forgoing the quick & easy, but may sometimes prove the more practical approach in the long term when factoring in the value of fewer bridges burned while increasing trust, loyalty and love/devotion, etc.

Since this game appears to be ever-expanding (so we never know what the long-term benefit/cost ratios will be), it provides an opportunity for us to ponder our choices -- beyond the immediate payoffs. And try to simply enjoy our choices along the way.
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.