Rogue-like games, RPG's

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Rogue-like games, RPG's

Post by Voom »

Andor's Trail is by far the most interesting game of its kind for Android, imo. Love the mechanics, love the story, love the map, love the community.

However, there are shameful alternatives:
Inotia series (there must be at least 50 of them...exaggerating) - Pros: slightly interesting combat mechanics; Cons: shallow and non-serious story-line, no open world map.
Forgotten Tales - Pros: no idea, never played it b/c it is has bad rating and 50mb download; Cons: it has bad rating and 50mb download.

I feel like they are out to make money. AT is more of a community effort rather than a monetary exploit scheme. Keep it up! :D
Voom
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Rogue-like games, RPG's

Post by nyktos »

Voom wrote:Andor's Trail is by far the most interesting game of its kind for Android, imo. Love the mechanics, love the story, love the map, love the community.

However, there are shameful alternatives:
Inotia series (there must be at least 50 of them...exaggerating) - Pros: slightly interesting combat mechanics; Cons: shallow and non-serious story-line, no open world map.
Forgotten Tales - Pros: no idea, never played it b/c it is has bad rating and 50mb download; Cons: it has bad rating and 50mb download.

I feel like they are out to make money. AT is more of a community effort rather than a monetary exploit scheme. Keep it up! :D

i had to start the game over when i got back, just to remember what it was like..
(don't get me wrong, i have started over quite a bit - "just feeling the game out")
but, still - i wanted to come back to what dragged me in! (again)

my new hero's level is in the mid 30's & i just hit a part in the game that made me *wow*
so many places to go, so many things to do... :shock: :mrgreen:

it might feel like a mess now - but i know where this is going & im excited that things are finally coming together again!
it is really going to happen! (for awhile there, i didn't think it was possible.
i was away from the project & very negative - but i wanted to look back in, to see where things were)

i was thrilled to see activity & i decided it was well worth jumping back into.
that elusive charm that this game and community had(has) is still there(here).

that's a blessing in a world as dark as this. :evil: :twisted:

i'm grateful for finding what i did, when i found AT...
i don't think there is anything like this on the Playstore & certainly not for free.

*mic drop*
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Love the mic drop. I wish twirlimp comes back from his heavy workload. He helped quickly resurface the menu sections including skills and inventory. If I'm not mistaken it will be applied for the next update. He also experimented with ranged weapons and combat mechanics associated with them.

AT is quite unique. It is pure RPG. It's immersive yet it feels like just don't know enough and so you explore every inch looking for clues. It honestly reminds me of Pokemon. You are slowly discovering who the bad guys are and what mischief they are up to. It's absolutely great. The weapons and equipment needs to be reworked. The story is one thing, but the theory crafting with builds is what keeps me coming back.
Voom
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Voom wrote:I wish twirlimp comes back from his heavy workload.
i was just reading some crazy posts he made... :shock:

when i was away, i was messing around looking at stuff about coding...
(not to learn it - not by any means!)
but i wanted to understand it better so i could more easily communicate with you guys.

that lead me to read old threads that didn't make any sense before i disappeared.

now they make more sense, not enough for me to get on GitHub & branch a fork?
but... enough sense to even know how it works on a basic level.

it was really humbling.

i can do a certain level of tech stuff, but it's not my forte.
im currently struggling to setup ATCS & about to post with questions...
you will then fully understand the limits of my "tech" :lol:

Voom wrote:The weapons and equipment needs to be reworked.
The story is one thing, but the theory crafting with builds is what keeps me coming back.
you really feel like the choices you make, matter. :D
that's a simple pleasure that some big money RPG factories seem to have totally forgotten...
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

nyktos wrote: you really feel like the choices you make, matter. :D
that's a simple pleasure that some big money RPG factories seem to have totally forgotten...
Absolutely! That is one key feature that I totally ignored to mention just now, but does quite a number to this game. "Dhayavar!"

Don't worry, I had trouble with ATCS initially as well.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:Love the mic drop. I wish twirlimp comes back from his heavy workload. He helped quickly resurface the menu sections including skills and inventory. If I'm not mistaken it will be applied for the next update. He also experimented with ranged weapons and combat mechanics associated with them.
I am alive!

I honestly had to check my old thread to remember what I had added: the UI changes includes sorting/categories to skills, inventory, and shops.
There are also the new preset changes -- which I assume are considered UI changes, but I'll separate them just in case Zukero prefers to postpone their inclusion.

I'm going to load my modified game onto my phone to see how the preset UI looks because I absolutely forgot.

I'd expected that by new year's I'd have cleaned my code and separated the UI changes so that they could be applied ASAP, but even though my semester is officially over there's still a project that requires another week (any longer and I'll be in serious trouble so trust that I'm motivated).

Rest assured that my vacation extends till late January, and I have a laughably small workload after that (to balance my earlier hell, ying yang and all that), so consider me back in action!

Overview of old work:

My changes to ranged weaponry and monster AI are rather experimental -- in the sense that they need to be integrated thematically, since the mechanics & interface seem fine, although monster AI is rather sticky spaghetti code (compared to other game sections) and I had only *just* managed to make my changes bug-free enough for casual playing (who knows what might pop up under heavy testing).

I had made sure that all monster & weapon changes are backwards compatible with current monsters, so unless specified explicitly, all monsters will behave as they had before, and can be modified at will (or new monsters added).

The added monster behaviour basically depends on their line of sight & courage against pain: if they have low HP* or can't see you*, the monsters would flee in the opposite direction when attacked, otherwise they would follow you for a set number of turns*.

(* means the values are modifiable)

The only reason I added the monster AI was because of the ranged weaponry to be honest, since the old monsters would just stand motionless while you snipe them.

I don't even remember why I added ranged weaponry -- I think I just saw a suggestions thread and added them because I never play melee myself if I can help it.

So this was a long-ish post and thanks for reading, I was just summarising my old progress -- partly because I needed to remember it myself, and to allow you to catch up with what had happened so far.
Voom wrote: AT is quite unique. It is pure RPG. It's immersive yet it feels like just don't know enough and so you explore every inch looking for clues. It honestly reminds me of Pokemon. You are slowly discovering who the bad guys are and what mischief they are up to. It's absolutely great. The weapons and equipment needs to be reworked. The story is one thing, but the theory crafting with builds is what keeps me coming back.
I'm open to suggestions, really, as I've worked with weapons/inventory/combat and I know my way around their code now.

I personally believe that there need to be more unlockable aspects of builds that unfold with the story and more skills/"classes" that can be learned through a quest. This would help prevent newcomers from having too many choices and would also give more substance to the plot.

But that's just me -- I think *everything* should be learned & unlocked through quests -- and I'm more interested in what you would like implemented.

Almost everything I added was a player suggestion (but I can't confirm it after so long) and you guys really know the game much better than I do.

There's already a lot of game content packed inside for next release :D so I think UI suggestions would be most relevant (but might as well brainstorm mechanics changes from now :P )
ideas plox
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

Maybe this thread might bring your memory back twirlimp :lol:
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=10
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

ace wrote:Maybe this thread might bring your memory back twirlimp :lol:
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=10
Oh wow it's creepy seeing my post from all the way back.

But yes that seems like me alright.
ideas plox
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Voom wrote:The weapons and equipment needs to be reworked.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but changes are planned. Not for the next release though.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

TWIRLIMP!! You're back! I've been away as well towards the latter part of last semester. I've got until Jan.12 'til my next semester begins, but workload is not really heavy in the beginning as you probably know. :) Nice to know you haven't left us for good. AT is a unique project: open-sourced, free, creative, thoughtful, and backed by a well-rounded community (artists, coders, mapmakers, content creationists, translators). The whole 9 yards. You are definitely a part.

B/w making the map for Brightport, studying for CPA, and now translating I don't spend too much time on the computer for much else. I used to watch a lot of Youtube during election season, but that's over...thank God!

That's a good recap and necessary. You definitely did quite a bit of UI and coding. I agree that quests are the way to go for unlocking more class/build content. The MAIN reason I think that is the right way to do it is b/c AT should be played more like a story-line and quests provide players with options to choose from placing them on one "path" as opposed to another (hence, the naming of the land as Dhayavar [see 'World of AT' thread]). And that can give opportunities for players to decide which type of classes, maybe, they would like to pursue.

As far as reworking equipment, this is a conceptual issue not a coding issue. Although, coding might be involved. If you check the comparator I made, just looking at DPR for weapons you can see that discrepancies exist and vary when considering Attacks per Round. In other words, weapons with higher attack costs (slower) are severely disadvantaged. There isn't much of a compensation for that. Usually the slower the more powerful. :? But it's more than that. It's also how to calculate stats fairly b/c after a certain amount of progress, equipment stats are meaningless. For example, 5 hp means a lot to a lvl 4 char but is meaningless to a lvl 45 char. There should be a theoretical limit to stats, imo. But this would require an overhaul.
Voom