World of AT

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What do we name the land that harnesses the world of AT?

Southfalcon Peninsula
6%
Geta Valley
No votes
Rhowen
19%
Dhayavar (hidden meaning)
63%
Other (If so, share in post)
6%
No-name land
6%

Total votes: 16

ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: World of AT

Post by ace »

oh no! maybe I can get some support. :?
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Sorry. It got the most votes, and there is some sort of logic behind it. As far as pronunciation goes, compared to Xul'viir it's a breeze :lol:

A name for the world is something we could discuss / argue about forever, and we will never all agree. We needed to straighten out the background lore of the world, and part of that was the name. So we picked Dhayavar.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

OK. go on ahead. you are right but still I will not call my beloved world of AT Dhayavar. I wonder if Oscar was here which one will he choose?
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

ace wrote:I wonder if Oscar was here which one will he choose?
We may never know. Possibly, none of the ones any of us like :lol:

I have been involved in product naming for years, and it's always like this. You ask 10 people, and you get 10 different answers. The best you can hope for is that 3-4 coalesce around one name. In the end, you have to make a choice, and go with it.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

Ah! I am weird. I still can't convince myself.

Edit: but for a project like this it's better to go with majority. I will be against it but if there is no one in my support, it will be a time waste for all.
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

zukero wrote: Here's a new one: Dhayavar.

It comes from two words in Avestan, Dhayav (meaning country, place, realm) and Var (meaning choice).

Translations comes from this page http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... -EI-R.html and I mashed two of them with no respect to whatever might be the true form of the language. I'm no linguist after all, just looking for inspiration with justification :D

Avestan is a long lost language with roots in Persia (Iran), and the main trace we have of it is in the holy books of Zoroastrianism, which is the religion whose prophet was Zarathustra, and is based on the opposition of twin deities representing Light and Shadow (or actually, any two opposing concepts, like Good and Evil). I thought this was close enough from our world to deserve giving it a shot.
I had actually read about this in my theology studies. It is theorized as a possible origin of the current monotheistic beliefs. Yet it also has a few parallels with several legends of the origin of the polytheistic gods.
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Exactly, Dhayavar has a significant meaning: the land of choices; given the context of the derivation of its language, Avestan. It could also be interpreted as the land of options, -opportunities, -decisions. Maybe the land of the alternative.

However one defines it for themselves, I actually think it sounds pretty darn awesome. "The Land of Dhayavar". Almost has an arcane ring to it, which I like a lot.

@ace If you can't swallow it, then you should vote in the poll. If you notice it says "other" as an option. That's there for a reason. But I doubt you (or anyone) could come up with a name with more meaning and context such as the one we have agreed to already. IF YOU DO, we would definitely like to know. No sweat.
Voom
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

Well, the way I see it, since the best I've got off the top of my head is Variland (as in varied land) Dhayavar is cool with me. I suppose if I did some research... hmmmm.
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

actually AT is a global game and I am sure most of the players will have a hard time understanding the purpose of this name. I would prefer a name that's more appealing and I don't have to search for the meaning of that.
also I am sure not everyone is of same age and have same knowledge (like me). wouldn't it be right to make sure that what you are going to present to the world is easily understandable by all(different cultures and age).

but whatever devs already decided so there's no going back, I suppose.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

The meaning is not meant to be understood. I just wanted a cool sounding name, and didn't want to make it up, out of the blue. Moreover, I wanted to do my best to avoid creating a name that could have an offensive, or inappropriate, meaning in another language.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2