v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

I'm going to die!

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Schmmiiirc
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: I'm going to die!

Post by Schmmiiirc »

Growler wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 am
Schmmiiirc wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am I think you also have to factor in the DR of the Hirathil...
Having to calculate everything would take the fun out of it for me.
I'll just take the beating and try and learn from it and come back in a different guise.
Appreciate the approach & attitude, Schmmiiirc!
But I'm about to head back into the Hirathil-swarm-den, so I need some hard numbers :geek:
Yeah, figuring in the DR of Hirathil (14 for 'lower' level ones & 10 for 'higher' level ones, oddly) could make a serious difference in figuring the best weapon to use..
BSS damage range = 3~7 = 5 avg
Skullcrusher range = 0~26 = 13 avg

For arguments sake, let's say yer pony has 15 non-weapon damage pts, so combined with each weapon should avg:
20 = 15 + 5 (BSS)
28 = 15 + 13 (SkCrshr)

then Minus the Hirathil avg DR (12)..
8 = 20 - 12 (BSS)
16 = 28 - 12 (SkCrshr)

Figure likely 4 swings (per round) with BSS -vs- 2 swings with SkCrshr, so..
8 x 4 swings = 32 pts (BSS)
16 x 2 swings = 32 pts (SkCrshr)

Wow..looks like very similar damage per round using either weapon & accounting for Hirathil's high DR -- at least going with my assumed number for non-weapon damage pts (so if you have Lower non-weapon damage pts, then Skullcrusher or similar high-damage weapon may be worth considering--beyond the sheer joy of crushing ghost-skulls.

Caveats:
BSS has 12 extra AC pts, so a bit more likely to land blows vs ole SkullCrusher (esp against the super-high BC Hirathil).
But then SkCrshr does come with Triple (3x) Crit-hits! -except those infernal Hirathil are immune! Arrrggghhh :evil:
Various skills, such as weapon proficiency, can obviously make a difference in determining which weapon is superior in this case.

Btw, Hirathil, on avg (of 8 flavors), have approx 83 HP, so gonna havta survive a couple rounds -- at least.
:twisted:
Six months is a long time - I've beaten up the Hirathils and the Hira'zinn several times since then. If you deal enough damage, (and I now take AD on about 80% of my level ups) - you'll have no real problems going toe to toe with the Hira'zinn so long as your BC is sufficiently high. The Hirathils are easy enough if you have enough healing potions and the awareness to use them when necessary.

I still rarely use *hit & run*, although I have worked out to do it successfully now - (in earlier times I wasn't paying attention to AP available).

I generally stick with the BSS for this now, coupled with W&S Fighting Style and 1HS proficiency, and anything else I can cram in, usually at least two levels of LA prof.

If you want figures, my most recent character to get that far (@lvl 42) is currently @ lvl 47 and their figures now with BSS are AC 245% - AD 40-52 - BC 139%/4
See the puppies scatter.
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Growler »

Yeah, that sounds pretty close to me.. still on my first/only char (so far), I first entered the Green Maze (incl Lodar's Caves) at ~Level 45 with approx 120 HP & the following stats (with BSS) AC 255, AD 27~35, BC 125/3.
Otherwise, prefer the excellent crit-hits (~1 in 4) from DotSP.

I didn't give much thought to the first 15~20 levels (just breezed through, not expecting to really get into the game, but just try it out & move on) .. but once I did get serious (incl reading some posts here), I starting putting most of my level-ups into AD. Wish I had started sooner! Those extra damage pts really help. But then you also need to block enough hits to survive readily, and you gotta not miss too often or all those extra damage pts go nowhere.
Fun challenge trying to figure out what's optimal but also what's simply enjoyable!
Yeah, the battle with the Hira'zinn went pretty well..no fleeing, and helped that it got no huge crits, but it sure got a giant stack of 'conditions' on me..at one point there were approx 6 conditions on my guy. So I used 1 bonemeal mid-way & ate cooked meat just prior to attacking.

Guess I've done things a bit out of order since the Plaguestrider Master is still listed as my 'most powerful mob killed'? Those were challenging (esp in late level 30's), but didn't swarm the way--or to the extent--the Hirathill do.. hard to completely avoid getting swarmed by 4+ Hirathill along with a few hyper-aggressive bats (tho bats don't typically do too much damage). But my guy hasn't died in Lodar's Caves...Yet--still have to work my way back out!
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

The Plaguestrider Master it is referencing is the one holding the Oegyth (or however it is spelled) crystal. That stat only references the monster you killed that had the highest natural hitpoints, nothing else. That particular plaguestrider master had a ridiculously high HP.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
Growler

Post by Growler »

That's right.. the Oegyth-crystal totin' Plaguestrider Master did have a Ton of HP!
(~100 more vs the Hi'z, and a super-high BC to booty)
Think I had to flee temporarily & 'bone-up' as it were..then dive back in & hack, hack, hack away..
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I think it's based on total XP actually, not total HP, but I would have to look to be sure. Regardless, the formula for XP is another one that needs fixing. It's unbalanced, and in particular it completely ignores any actor conditions that the monster can lay on you.

I think the formulas for item value, monster XP, etc were implemented early, and have never been adjusted as the game development has progressed. It's possible to manually override the calculated item cost, but not monster XP, so the "most difficult monster killed so far" may not be the most difficult monster killed :? .
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Growler

Post by Growler »

Imagine it would be challenging to maintain the slew of balances in an ever-changing + expanding game.
The "most difficult monster killed so far" depends somewhat on each player's build.

Does seem that XP should reflect/indicate the general difficulty in taking a monster down, since a high HP monster, for ex, could be very easy to slay.

Could be interesting if a game periodically/automatically adapted XP (or other aspects/stats) according to data-feedback from players. If some percentage of players, for ex, kept dying from fights with a certain monster, then that monster's XP would go up until some 'acceptable' level was achieved (say, only 2% of players being killed by it).
~~~
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Crowd sourcing monster difficulty would require a server that monitors such things. This game is free (really free:no cost, no ads, no in game purchases, nothing). That will not change, so no server ;)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Growler

Post by Growler »

Point taken. Not only is that super-awesome (game being 100% free), no server also means no privacy concerns, thankfully.

Much appreciate all the work that goes into making such a great, fun game!
~~~
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Yup, and if Google play still showed it, you would see that AT doesn't ask for the "internet access" permission.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Growler

Post by Growler »

Zukero wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm Yup, and if Google play still showed it, you would see that AT doesn't ask for the "internet access" permission.
That's one of the primary reasons I gave AT a chance..the 'permissions' (or rather, Lack of) were ideal.

Also, it was free + no ads. And the graphics looked a million times better than most other RPG-style games. So many have a cartoony anime-style, whereas AT looked highly detailed and quite realistic (given the limitations of phone graphics).

Old-skool + Open-source RPG games are the Beast! 8-)
~~~