v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

A backup/restore system

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: A backup/restore system

Post by ace »

maybe we can add a section in help menu about this, instructing players where to find the save files and how to save them in a safe location..
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Zukero wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:09 pm Yup. You're both right, I misread it. 3MB per save, unlimited saves in the limit of each user's gdrive quota.
Doesn't solve the issue of it being non-free. The principle of free software is very important for me.
Please read https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-sou ... nt.en.html and https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does ... ve.en.html

It took me time to adhere to Stallman's vision, formerly preferring BSD and MIT licenses, but now I see that free software is critical for the freedom of the software user.

I know that we are a simple game project, running on Android, a corporation-controlled OS, lead by a user-control craving company, but I just can't get my head around compromising the freedom of our players for some feature we could provide while respecting their freedom. I hope that AT runs nicely on AOSP or even Replicant.
Well said, Captain!
Free Source vs Open Source (can be a mess)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

That was an interesting read. I have been totally oblivious to the differences in software rights. Proprietary software can be sold to others, but as long as a user can alter it, use it, distribute it, etc., it is considered "free software"?''

I know that there are many software (algorithmic) patents that are so general in nature that when society becomes more technologically advanced they can monopolize a future software market.
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Patent laws, and what is patentable, varies by country. That is especially true for algorithms and software, and in the US it changed drastically very recently. I have personal experience of this, because I have a patent application that was submitted before a key Supreme Court Decision, but is now subject to it. It is causing me a lot of headaches :( . The decision is usually referred to as "Alice": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Cor ... ernational. This decision essentially invalidates a huge number of existing software or algorithm patents in the US. Someone would still have to challenge any particular patent in court to get a decision on that patent, but if it's valuable enough, that is going to happen.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

I find this stuff intriguing. Especially, the legal side of it. Do you mind if I ask what general field you filed the patent?
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1