v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

THE GANDHI CHALLENGE --- How far can YOU go?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: THE GANDHI CHALLENGE --- How far can YOU go?

Post by Voom »

That is a very interesting conclusion you ended up with. I agree that some decisions that have to be made are bad. I disagree that AT full of no-win scenarios. I actually believe there are more quests where you do have more than one option where one of them is at least as good enough to feel like you haven't betrayed your moral compass.

Let's be real, we all make mistakes. But isn't it true that we will always have a choice when it comes to the big picture? That's why the name Dhayavar is well-suited for the land that we know. You know what I mean?
Voom
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

You are correct, AT is definitely full of choices. A lot of things aren't no-win, or actually allow you to follow your moral compass. For my "good" characters, I usually find myself sided with Feygard; reporting thieves to the guards and such. I really do like that these quests have these multiple options. I guess the main issue with this challenge was that you couldn't do much of anything without having to kill something. Also, I'd like to see more options like this. "No Two-teeth, I will not get you more moonshine, because you've clearly had enough." "No Vacor, I will not kill 4 bandits for you without knowing why they stole what they stole."(Allow you to side with Unzel earlier, but make Vacor harder?). On my own moral compass, I don't have any problems with killing Buceth, tricking the guard into walking away from his post, or using bonemeal, I was just saying that Gandhi would likely have problems with many of those things.

Then again, this is probably why I am not Gandhi.

Also, did anyone ever get his opinion on destroying undead? I wonder how he would feel about that...
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
BethelAbba
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by BethelAbba »

Kashim wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm
Then again, this is probably why I am not Gandhi.

Also, did anyone ever get his opinion on destroying undead? I wonder how he would feel about that...
Next, out of Hollywood....

Gandhi, Zombie hunter.

The movie to end all movies.
Alsa - Lvl:60, HP:174 AC:230%, AD:27-34 BC:174%, DR:4 BM used: 12 (Lodars)
Most Kills: Shdw Garg Mstr:3700(+3281 trnrs)
Gold:313,705 | HoF: 1 ChaR: 2
WA: 2, HH: 2, Clv: 2, IF: 3, Re: 3, MF: 2, DP: 2, LAP: 1, HAP: 1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Well he said "The good man is the friend of all living things", so slaying undead would be OK with him I guess.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Kashim

Post by Kashim »

BethelAbba wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 am Gandhi, Zombie hunter.
It is a companion piece to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, but produced Bollywood style.
Template Flux
BethelAbba

Post by BethelAbba »

Kashim, I've been rethinking one monster in particular as an "acceptable" kill.... With purpose and reason in keeping with Gandhi's (should I honestly be laughing that my spellchecker just offered me "Handgun" as a suitable replacement for "Gandhi"....) Hinduism.

A small RABID dog would pose a serious threat to any and all around him, and thus would need to be dealt with.... To potentially SAVE lives that would be at risk.

Thoughts?
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

My first comment on this thread (I think). Killing a rabid dog does not just remove a threat. A tiger is a threat. Would Gandhi kill it? Killing a rabid dog is a mercy to the dog. That should be allowed.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Kashim

Post by Kashim »

I'm by no means an authority on Gandhi. I know some of his teachings in general, but I can't with any certainty say how he would feel about things like euthanasia, so keep that in mind as I continue here. Based upon some quick papers I read, though he was a staunch supporter of non-violence, he also realized that in certain circumstances violence was necessary, and that in some cases killing a person may actually be a road to non-violence, rather than being a violent act (for instance, killing a prisoner who was going to be tortured to death otherwise, or killing someone who was suffering from a horrible disease).

From a quick source:
"This Sanskrit term is translated by non-violence in English in the above-mentioned reference edition. Unfortunately, this translation does not take into account the active aspect characterizing the term, as ahimsaˆ signifies active love, that is to say, compassion, rather than a curbed propensity for
violence. However, as will be seen, it is not restricted to this definition."

In this way, killing a rabid animal could absolutely be seen as a loving act, as death from rabies is insanely painful, and Gandhi had reasonably flexible views on animal (and human) euthanasia (according to my quick googling).

I will definitely say this though: He would not, absolutely not, have punched a rabid dog to death with his fists, or cut it to shreds with a sword, or anything like that. I would still say that, within the constraints of the game, he wouldn't have killed any animals, rabid or not, because the game does not allow for deaths that aren't violent. Unless you were able to guarantee that the animal would die instantly (1 hit kill) then there would be a degree of torture involved, and that would not be OK.
Template Flux
BethelAbba

Post by BethelAbba »

What I love about this challenge so far.... Is not the actual way it has challenged my game play, but the philosophical discussion it has generated on what we could or could not do.

PS. I found my own loophole... In the very rules I proposed...
the rules prohibit villains or brigand style rings... But said nothing about mundane rings being unacceptable. It is a very minor bump in the damage you do, but it does allow some measure of expediency.

Just saying.
oh, and I have found the absolute best and cheapest way to restore health points.... And it was freaking staring me in the face all along!!! Can't see why I didn't think of it before.
Last edited by BethelAbba on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Kashim wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:49 pm Unless you were able to guarantee that the animal would die instantly (1 hit kill) then there would be a degree of torture involved, and that would not be OK.
Once you get to a certain minimum AD that is guaranteed though. There is always a chance you will miss, but if you miss you have not hurt the animal. Maybe you have frightened it, but that's all. If you hit and your minimum AD is higher than the animals HP, it will be killed instantly.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1