v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Translations on Weblate: Interpretation

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Omicronrg9
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Translations on Weblate: Interpretation

Post by Omicronrg9 »

Hi again!

I did not really want to create a post, because I wanted to show you the content I'm trying to do on ATCS in the first one.However, I have just noticed about the possibility of contributing AT by translating on Weblate.

In my case, mi source language is spanish so I thought I could help translating dialogues,quest logs and all this staff while I have not enough time to create content on ATCS (That is, during my academic period) as I consider translation a lighter task that I can do during my breaks.

Well, getting straight to the point, I see (at least in spanish) a problem.To make the explanation more understandable,I'm going to illustrate you with an example:

Source:
Infidel, you will not defeat me! For the Shadow!

Current translation: (Spanish)
¡Infiel, no me vencerás! ¡Por la Sombra!

The problem here becomes with "La Sombra".Although "Sombra" is the accurate word for "Shadow", it does not make sense completely.
Finally,the questions come here:
  • Can I interpret the content adjusting more to the meaning of the phrases but paying less attention for the replacing the exact words from their spanish equivalents?
  • More specifically, can I change the equivalent (in spanish) of "For the Shadow" ("Por la Sombra") for another with the same meaning but with more "sonority"?
For now that's all.

Greetings,
Omicronrg9.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Translations on Weblate: Interpretation

Post by rijackson741 »

I am not the lead developer so it's not my call, but IMO meaning is more important than a literal translation. Bear in mind, however, that for terms such as "The Shadow" consistency throughout the entire translation is very important.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

Even though you are not who has the lead of this, thank you.

I'm agree with the priority of the general meaning against a literal translation.
I forgot referring to the context which seems to be very important too, specially for dialogues.
Anyway, I'll continue suggesting translations.

Greetings,
Omicronrg9.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Weblate says Spanish is only 27% done. That's sad, because Spanish is one of the worlds most important languages (https://blog.esl-languages.com/blog/esl ... ges-world/) :( . Any improvement and/or extension of the Spanish translation would be greatly appreciated, by a very large number of people. I thought I should give you a little warning though, that making adjustments to some of the existing translation means you may have to make adjustments to a lot of the existing translation.

Edit: there are a lot of recent suggestions on Weblate fro Spanish translations, but they appear as anonymous (to me, anyway; I am not familiar with Weblate, so maybe I'm doing something wrong). Is that you?
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Hi Omicronrg9,

great to hear you want to work on translations!

My Spanish is too poor to be of any help with "The Shadow". I'd like to add another aspect, having a bit experience with the German translation.

We were in twos at that time and that turned out to be great. Translations were always inserted as a suggestion, and later the other took a brief look and mostly confirmed. Or often enough, he made a counterproposal. And we could discuss some tricky sequences. So we were translating and counter checking alternately.
This has certainly increased the quality and the fun with the work.
Maybe you find someone to help you then. But of course this should not stop you from beginning yourself ... :mrgreen:
Nut
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Indeed translating the game is a daunting task.

I've been reading a bunch of articles and blog posts about how to best support localization for Andor's Trail. This one came up as pretty interesting: http://www.leveluptranslation.com/blog

We yet have to define guidelines for translation, but I'd say everyone who did participate in some translation effort did a pretty good job so far.

My take is that most proper nouns *could* remain untranslated, but it is the authority of the translator to decide which way is best to convey the original feeling (rather than meaning):
- Keep the English name (el Shadow)
- Use a literal translation (la Sombra)
- Use a literary translation (las Tinieblas)
- Use some transliteration (el Xado :?: )

As stated by rijackson741, the most important thing is consistency.
Weblate's "Dictionaries" (see here for the Spanish one) help ensure this consistency.

I do feel the game name's sounds better in english (Andor's Trail vs Sendero de Andor), but then again, for some countries, it may not make sense, so I prefer to wholly rely on the translator's common sense and creativity.

I you find some fellows in your task, it is worth discussing these questions here. Sometimes only fellow spanish-natives are relevant, but sometimes everyone who performed translation can help. Some translation issues are Independent of the target language.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

rijackson741
Edit: there are a lot of recent suggestions on Weblate fro Spanish translations, but they appear as anonymous (to me, anyway; I am not familiar with Weblate, so maybe I'm doing something wrong). Is that you?
Probably It was me,as I didn't notice I hadn't logged in, hehe.

Nut
We were in twos at that time and that turned out to be great. Translations were always inserted as a suggestion, and later the other took a brief look and mostly confirmed. Or often enough, he made a counterproposal. And we could discuss some tricky sequences. So we were translating and counter checking alternately.
This has certainly increased the quality and the fun with the work
This is a really good way to work,I'll try to take some friends and tell them about this.Two minds better than one.

Zukero
I you find some fellows in your task, it is worth discussing these questions here. Sometimes only fellow spanish-natives are relevant, but sometimes everyone who performed translation can help. Some translation issues are Independent of the target language.
I'm agree. Even in those situations (e.g: "The Shadow") anyone could provide a bit of help.As I said before I'll try to take some people to help me with this.

Although this is a very long task,I'll take it easy during my breaks and try to be as constant as I can.
I'll continue trying to make more content in the weekends and vacation periods.

Thank you all for your worthy (and quick) responses and advices!

Greetings,
Omicronrg9.
fifa1988
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by fifa1988 »

Translate for portuguese Brazil is necessary. I can try help with this.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

All help is welcome :) . Brazilian Portuguese is one of the more complete translations, and it would be nice to get it even closer to completion. There doesn't seem to be anyone working on it at the moment (with one exception, everything is at least one year old), so anything you can add would be appreciated.