v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Lodar's potions

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Lodar's potions

Post by rijackson741 »

IMO, making it last longer is not as useful, because unless you are in continuous battles the extra rounds are not used.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Shadow Slayer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Yeah, but I think its not worth the bother to just use the potions on five enemies, and rounds do end after some long time after walking around and I think that in some situations we might need one of those potions to beat a monster in some place where the next monster is quite far away and by the time we reach the next monster, one round could pass, I still think the potions should last longer, It would make them a lot more useful in the longer run, just like it took you a long time to acquire the ingredients and reach Lodar ;)
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Growler »

Good points by folks here.
By the time you're at a sufficient level to complete the Lodar quest, these potions are near worthless. You get a slight bump in 1 stat for a very short time (per potion), so the only real (meaningful) compensation is the grinding leading to add'l experience pts.

Not too big a deal for a game/genre that requires periodic grinding, but it's also not in keeping with other quests in the game, which generally require far less effort and have more substantial payoff. Generally, the payoff for quests should increase along the way.. if only to keep up with the player's level-needs. Or even the moral-compass payoff that you've ground your sword to a nub to achieve some good..saved someone or something worthy of saving, for ex.
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.
Schmmiiirc
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Schmmiiirc »

Growler wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 am Good points by folks here.
By the time you're at a sufficient level to complete the Lodar quest, these potions are near worthless. You get a slight bump in 1 stat for a very short time (per potion), so the only real (meaningful) compensation is the grinding leading to add'l experience pts.

Not too big a deal for a game/genre that requires periodic grinding, but it's also not in keeping with other quests in the game, which generally require far less effort and have more substantial payoff.
I'll probably buy some of Lodars potions when I'm there, but they're not something I rely on. I no longer bother to collect what's needed for his special potions.

Xulvir is not a bad payoff, if you have two handed sword skills.
See the puppies scatter.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I bought some of Lodar's potion because they might be useful (especially Tears of the Shadow) if the going gets really rough somewhere. I have more gp than I know what to do with, so why not? I haven't used any of them yet, because by the time you can get them the current game is essentially over.

It's not his potions that you can purchase that are the problem though. It's the special ones, that just aren't worth the trouble of getting the ingredients.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Growler

Post by Growler »

rijackson741 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm I bought some of Lodar's potion because they might be useful (especially Tears of the Shadow) if the going gets really rough somewhere. I have more gp than I know what to do with, so why not? I haven't used any of them yet, because by the time you can get them the current game is essentially over.

It's not his potions that you can purchase that are the problem though. It's the special ones, that just aren't worth the trouble of getting the ingredients.
Yes, exactly. For me, it could be worth the grind (to collect the various ingredients) IF the special potions could grant a permanent stat-related bonus.. nothing major, but roughly equal to a level upgrade option: say, 5 to AC, 2 to BC, 1 to DR, 1 to AD -- so not enough to make any significant difference to a player at this late stage of the game, but just enough to be fun & worth grinding for.

And each special potion would be a 1-off, so couldn't just keep grinding to keep getting them time after time. Or..maybe so, but then the ingredient/requirements would go up (50~100%) each time, compounded. :twisted:

Yeah, that Xul'viir had some impressive stats as I recall. Maybe shouldn't have destroyed it so quickly..
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Another idea would be a very powerful potion, but you could only get one of them. It would be worth grinding for a 5 DR potion that could be reserved for "emergencies".
Growler

Post by Growler »

Since Lodar's special potions are effectively end of game (as the game stands currently), could think of them as transition rewards to be used/helpful for new, harder content in future expansions.

Either way, they need to be more potent (whether via duration &/or boost) to be useful rather than novelty.

Actually, the novelty angle could be fun & a worthwhile payoff.. take this potion and suddenly you've got Elf-Spock ears! Or makes a bunch of angry-infestered warts pop up on your face so you can miss a day of school (kid's in school, right?). Temporarily grants you a wolf-howl or giant-bear growl. Could be nothing more than amusing descriptions. :geek:
~~~
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Ha Ha! A really deceptive potion description is a great idea. Not for Lodar, but someone else. Some shady character sells you a potion with a very nice sounding description, but it actually does something nasty that you do not expect. The description is not factually wrong, just very easy to misinterpret. Any suggestions from anyone what such a description might be?
Growler

Post by Growler »

Well, since time outta mind, there's always some special luv potion promising to make your...uh, feet (wink-wink) bigger; but instead--after parting with a small fortune in gold, the potion..whoa--makes your feet bigger!?! :o

So big, in fact, you become exceedingly clumsy and thus lose several AP for some # of rounds as you trip and can barely lift your (now heavy) feet to move and do the sword dance, as it were. :oops: :x :oops:

After getting swarmed & stung by bees, gnawed on by vengeful rats, laughed at by meat-keeping puppies...hopefully.. Lesson learned?
~~~