Italian translation

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
roberto
android_version: 7.0

Italian translation

Post by roberto »

hi, i completed the translation for Andor's TRail 0.7.1 (see https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/and ... ontent/it/).
about 236 sentences are labeled as "strings marked for edit" because they are Name of person (of course they must stay the same in all alnguages) and other that are to possible to translate (i.e. "Klatam ur turum Kazaul'te")

I have to report that several sentences in English miss the final dot ("."), so, if i try to correctly add it to the translated sentence, i get an error: someone should review the original English and fix those typos.

Question: how can I now add the translated text to my current game? i will like to play it to verify that all is ok and that the sentences fit and make sense with the game.

PS: please, please! put out 0.7.2, no matter how little the progress can be!
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Re: Italian translation

Post by Nut »

Molto bene, grazie 8-)
You cannot add the translations yourself. Just tell us - like you have done here.

I am looking forward for the German translation to be added too.
Btw. with the update the translations won't be 100% any more :shock: because every new thing will be in English.
But that is good - so we can see immediatly, which parts of the game are new and which are already existing. And this is not so little ... :D
Nut
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

roberto wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 pm hi, i completed the translation for Andor's TRail 0.7.1 (see https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/and ... ontent/it/).
about 236 sentences are labeled as "strings marked for edit" because they are Name of person (of course they must stay the same in all alnguages) and other that are to possible to translate (i.e. "Klatam ur turum Kazaul'te")

I have to report that several sentences in English miss the final dot ("."), so, if i try to correctly add it to the translated sentence, i get an error: someone should review the original English and fix those typos.

Question: how can I now add the translated text to my current game? i will like to play it to verify that all is ok and that the sentences fit and make sense with the game.

PS: please, please! put out 0.7.2, no matter how little the progress can be!
Hello roberto, and welcome to the forums. That's a great first post :mrgreen: Thanks very much for doing this.

Can you point me to the sentences that have a missing "."? That's not such an easy thing to find.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
roberto

Post by roberto »

Hello rijackson741

some examples:
"conversationlist_buceth.json:buceth_14:2","I don't know","Non so","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_fallhaven_arcir.json:arcir_calomyran_6:0","Thanks, bye","Grazie, ciao","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_jan.json:jan_default2:1","Ok, bye","Ok, ciao","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_farrik.json:farrik_23:0","Will do","Lo farò","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_fayvara.json:fayvara1_6","We only have time for one type of armor right now though, so think carefully on which one will suit you best","Ora abbiamo solo il tempo per un tipo di armatura, quindi pensa attentamente su quale ti si adatta meglio","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_ogam.json:ogam_2:1","Please go on","Continua, ti prego","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_loneford_kuldan.json:kuldan_bc_3:0","He is already dead","È già morto","","False","","",""

but are just some examples, several others are around.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Nut wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 pm Molto bene, grazie 8-)
You cannot add the translations yourself. Just tell us - like you have done here.

I am looking forward for the German translation to be added too.
Btw. with the update the translations won't be 100% any more :shock: because every new thing will be in English.
But that is good - so we can see immediatly, which parts of the game are new and which are already existing. And this is not so little ... :D
of course every new release will have the added part on english only. But I guess if in future it can be possible to have a sort of "packet language" separate from the main apk, to make it possible to download and update without the need to recompile the whole game. Question for developers.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

roberto wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:31 pm Hello rijackson741

some examples:
"conversationlist_buceth.json:buceth_14:2","I don't know","Non so","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_fallhaven_arcir.json:arcir_calomyran_6:0","Thanks, bye","Grazie, ciao","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_jan.json:jan_default2:1","Ok, bye","Ok, ciao","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_farrik.json:farrik_23:0","Will do","Lo farò","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_fayvara.json:fayvara1_6","We only have time for one type of armor right now though, so think carefully on which one will suit you best","Ora abbiamo solo il tempo per un tipo di armatura, quindi pensa attentamente su quale ti si adatta meglio","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_ogam.json:ogam_2:1","Please go on","Continua, ti prego","","False","","",""
"conversationlist_loneford_kuldan.json:kuldan_bc_3:0","He is already dead","È già morto","","False","","",""

but are just some examples, several others are around.
I found them. Nut handed me a regular expression to find them (for those that know what that is, great, for those that don't, it a way of finding matching strings with a pattern of almost any complexity, if you can figure out what the regular expression has to be). I'll fix all of them (along with a few other irritations in the English, such as ellipsis with only two dots, and numerous variants of OK (we have OK, ok, Ok, Okay, okay :roll: ).

Maybe not for the coming release though. The priority is to get that out, not to add more work.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Separating the language packs isn't impossible, but it's not something that I would consider for now. It would either require a lot of new code, either be difficult to find for the less computer-savvy.

Moreover, we have two translations systems : one for the content (dialogues, items...) and one for the UI. The UI uses the built-in android localization system, and this could be harder to externalize.

To add your translations into the game for testing, you'd have to wield the following tools:
- Git
- GNU Gettext (from a bash shell typically)
- Android studio or other tools based on the android SDK.

If these sound esoteric and complicated, maybe it would be best to wait for us to do it.
Otherwise, head to the contribution guide, notably this chapter: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4560&start=10#p46650

Anyway, many thanks for completing the Italian translation. It opens up the game for more players.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
roberto

Post by roberto »

There are some parts that are difficult to translated because it is not clear what they refer to. (i.e. bloodletter, Shadowstalker, ecc) they could be translated licterally, but several times the licteral translation does not give the real meaning. The problem is that i cannot see the part of the game where the sentence is used, so i must just try to do my best. For example, 'bloodletter' can be translated as:
A. a piece of paper where i write on that i promise to kill someone (contratto d'assassinio)
B. a periodical report from battlefield with the info like what happened, how may friend and foe died in that day, ecc (bollettino di guerra)
C. a paper with text, partially wet by blood (lettera insanguinata)
My suggestion to the team is to do a periodical release of AT, (one at year? two at year? up to you), so at least translation can be refined more often. This will make translators more sutisfied because they see their effort are used soon.
In any case, I will continue to refine Italian translation.
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

We plan on making more frequent releases after the next one. Taking over the project after Oskar left was hard, and building a team that is composed of the right persons with the right skill set was even harder.

We decided to take our time to make the next release worth the wait.

The plan is to always try to pair releases: one content release followed as closely as possible by a bug fix and translation release.

To help you find the context for any given word or sentence, I very strongly suggest that you install ATCS and enable translator mode. This is rather easy to set up, and lets you see dialogue as trees, the current weblate status for any translatable string, and links between objects (for example, if the bloodletter is required to advance a dialogue, you can find the dialogue from the bloodletter, thus finding the right context).
Along with the current weblate translation for your language of choice is a link to the weblate page for this string.

Hope it helps.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I agree with Zukero regarding ATCS. I don't use it in translator mode, but as the only native English speaker on the dev team I do spend a fair amount of time "translating" bad English into better English :lol: . I absolutely could not do that without ATCS, because, as you note, I need to see the context. ATCS allows me to see the entire conversation as a tree. It also allows me to see the relationship between the different elements in the game.

I think names of armor and weapons really only have their own, local, context though. Bloodletter is a dagger, so it's something that lets out blood. Shadowstalker is a mixture of shadows and stalking, so dark and creepy. IMO, a translation needs to convey the concept more than it has to be literal.