When you go monking...

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Soullessktty
android_version: 11 - Android 11

When you go monking...

Post by Soullessktty »

I finally try to play an unarm/unarmor Hero with Way of the Monk skill. Thus, he is named Zen the Balanced :lol:

So, here's my take on it.

The game still lacks variety of cloth armors, so playing from lvl. 15 and forward is quite a challange because the AC/BC bonus from current items and Monk's skill sets cannot compare to an armed/armored Hero. This is especially true before I get Zen to lvl. 30, which provides him access to Way of the Monk L2 skill. This makes it less challanging from then on to kill in Blackwater Mountain.

I have to farm a lot of meats to trade for gold because Feline gloves and Feline boots are expensive, that is in addition to 2x Ring of the protector needed to boost BC of my Hero. Not to mention, Robe of the Sublimate is another expensive clothe, with which the actor condition bonus isn't that great (20% chance of Confusion with effects of AC -10, max AP -1).

So far, at level 30, here's what my Hero is wearing:

Head: Enhanced green hat (upgraded Fine green hat)
Torso: Robe of the Sublimate
Neck: Jewel of Fallhaven / Superior necklace of the protector
Rings: 2x Ring of the protector (sometimes switch one or both ring(s) to Polished ring of backstabbing and/or Villain's ring)
Hands: Feline gloves
Feet: Feline shoes

Current skills:
Dodge L2 (Targeting for Taunt skill, as well as more BC)
Combat Speed L2 (for maximum damage per round)
Increase Fortitude L1
Unarmed fighting L1
Unarmored fighting L1
Fighting style: Way of the Monk L2

Every bonuses from leveling up is added to damage.

Planning to farm for Silk robe of Valugha and Valugha's shimmering hat once Zen is able to take on Plaguestrider to see how effective these two items.

However, I see potential issues in higher levels (this is an educated guess) because the stats bonus from monk related skills are fixed number, while weapons and light/heavy armor skills are percentage number of the items. This means when better the items are available for higher levels, those armed and armored heroes will have better numbers compare to monks.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: When you go monking...

Post by Osho »

That's how rpg's in the past treated the monks.
Last edited by Osho on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Osho wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:15 am That's how rpg's in the past treated the monks.
There is no specific way rpgs have treated monks. It varies (a lot) by rpg.

Yes, being a monk is harder. When you can't wear most armor and can't use most weapons what do you expect?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

What new cloth items do you suggest at what levels? Maybe reducing the level requirements for the skill could be an option. But being a monk should stay hard.
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

Gonk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm What new cloth items do you suggest at what levels? Maybe reducing the level requirements for the skill could be an option. But being a monk should stay hard.
I think I'm the beginning you should be able too.
(After the crossglen quest. As for items I say none is needed
I haven't tried that route yet though
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

For the monk way to remain viable at higher levels, perhaps consider adding a "specialization" after the "fighting style", like for many weapon styles. And whether a percentage AC/BC boost at that point could be balanced so that the monk, though more difficult, can still do future higher level areas.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

rijackson741 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:32 pmThere is no specific way rpgs have treated monks. It varies (a lot) by rpg.

Yes, being a monk is harder. When you can't wear most armor and can't use most weapons what do you expect?
I was highlighting the attempt to separate monks from armored characters, just like sub-classes are introduced to further make them distinct from one another. Baldurs gate 2 is my favourite for this reason. Monk is fun to play in this game.

I think the best way forward for AT would be introducing lots of new equipments, potion varieties, and making more actor conditions accessible to different characters - monks would be best suited for building offensive damages using conditions beyond the melee attacks.
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

A skill or specialization that gives conditions to monks could be fun.
Mansiu
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Mansiu »

How about release the level requirements from 15,30,45 to 10,20,30? Will be more funny in the mid lv

Edit: requirements for way to a monk
Last edited by Mansiu on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soullessktty
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Soullessktty »

Gonk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm What new cloth items do you suggest at what levels? Maybe reducing the level requirements for the skill could be an option. But being a monk should stay hard.
For unarmored skill, I think it should be similar to light/heavy armor, that is giving amount of AC based on percentage of the AC of items you are wearing, but also DR (increment of 0.5 or 1 maybe). Why DR? Martial artists develop resistance and can better handle any hits. They may have lower AC, but can withstand any blows better than non-monk.

Perhaps introduce gloves or brass knuckles that gives actor conditions, maybe with additional criticals, when using it unarmed. May be with a trade-of of +AP for Attack Cost.

Or, hand wraps/bands that makes monks faster (Attack Cost -1 AP), but also lower BC, because when you move very fast, you sort of ignore what hits you, as well as lower Damage Potential due to fast movement.