No actor conditions when switching screen orientation

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
JohanX
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

No actor conditions when switching screen orientation

Post by JohanX »

Repeatedly changing the screen orientation seems to reset the timer for the actor conditions so things like Shadow Regeneration never tick.

I'm not by anything that can poison you right now, but I would assume this method could also be used to prevent poison damage.

DroidX 2.3.3
Level: 37 | XP: 930,743 | Gold: 61,846
HP: 72 | BC: 51% | DR: 0 | AP: 10 | AP Cost: 3
AD: 26-33 | CC: 46% | CM: 3 | AC%: 201%
RoLS:2 | ELyR:0 | RoL:0 | ChaR:0 | GoLF:1 | ShaF:0
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: No actor conditions when switching screen orientation

Post by Pyrizzle »

JohanX wrote:Repeatedly changing the screen orientation seems to reset the timer for the actor conditions so things like Shadow Regeneration never tick.

I'm not by anything that can poison you right now, but I would assume this method could also be used to prevent poison damage.

DroidX 2.3.3
I tested this with Dazed and Weak poison on Blackwater Mountain and i see the same effect. I have had both conditions without having either of them actually go through one round by tilting the phone back and forth over and over again.

The only thing is that because i am tilting the phone i am unable to move easily so i dont see how this would be too much of a advantage.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

There's a reason for it, I can't exactly remember off the top of my head but it has to do with Android re-initializing Activities (the visible part of the program) when the orientation changes. I believe Oskar explained it in another post but I can't seem to find it at this point and time.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

If the screen orientation changes everything is reloaded from a "savegame". Currently there seems to be only the information in it how many rounds of the Actor Condition are left. (not how many milliseconds of the current round have passed)

It's the same thing that happens if you turn your phone in a shop. (there is only information in the "savegame" about the kind of shop you are in, not about how many items are available.)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
JohanX

Post by JohanX »

I found Oskar's post about it: http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... ail?id=132
When starting a new Android Activity (such as the view item Activity), the game is actually saved and restored when you return to the game screen. This is similar to what happens if you for example leave to another program on your device, or take a phone call.

Savegames currently only support saving the state between turns.
What would happen if the actor conditions were based on combat rounds and movement steps taken instead of the timer?
Black Wind
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Black Wind »

JohanX wrote:I found Oskar's post about it: http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... ail?id=132
When starting a new Android Activity (such as the view item Activity), the game is actually saved and restored when you return to the game screen. This is similar to what happens if you for example leave to another program on your device, or take a phone call.

What would happen if the actor conditions were based on combat rounds and movement steps taken instead of the timer?
Interesting. That would remove the standing around to get rid of some conditions since we'd have to move then.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Black Wind wrote:
JohanX wrote:I found Oskar's post about it: http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... ail?id=132

Interesting. That would remove the standing around to get rid of some conditions since we'd have to move then.
Not exactly. Time still goes by even if you are standing still.

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

Black Wind
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Black Wind »

Pyrizzle wrote: Not exactly. Time still goes by even if you are standing still.
True, after reading it again, I guess saw the words "movement steps" and forgot about the rounds mentioned only a couple words earlier. :shock:

Not sure if that was because I'm all for making things harder or if it was because at first I wrongly thought rounds were movement based. :D
JohanX

Post by JohanX »

Black Wind wrote:Interesting. That would remove the standing around to get rid of some conditions since we'd have to move then.
Black Wind, this was correct to what I was thinking about.
Pyrizzle wrote:Not exactly. Time still goes by even if you are standing still.
That is the way it is now, I was proposing a hypothetical on what would happen with a different system.
Black Wind wrote:True, after reading it again, I guess saw the words "movement steps" and forgot about the rounds mentioned only a couple words earlier. :shock:

Not sure if that was because I'm all for making things harder or if it was because at first I wrongly thought rounds were movement based. :D
I was wondering what would happen if rounds were redefined as your character taking X number of steps or Y number of combat turns (Both you and enemy using all AP) instead of the timer based round we have today that has issues with combat and screen orientation.

I'm not even sure if there is a technical way to have whatever timer/counter is used persist through starting a new Android Activity.
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

I feel that battle sequences should take rounds, so that actor conditions could wear off while in battle, also to make weapons which apply conditions to enemies, such as the barbed dagger: 50% bleeding wounds 5 rounds, could actually effect the battle. a it is now, in order for bleeding wounds to effect a mob, you'd need to flee from battle once the effect were applied, rather than each stack doing the one damage per turn a described in the items stats. just my humble opinion... saving up for a lappy so I can start teaching myself java while at work, so haven't actually gotten to take a look at how hard this would be to implement...