v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Not enough AP left this round after attacking

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
Flaming
android_version: 8.0

Not enough AP left this round after attacking

Post by Flaming »

After purchasing and equipping the feline gloves and feline boots, I went to combat.

Normally I have 11 ap and I use 4 in each attack, so after I do a second attack my turn automatically ends.

However this time and multiple times after, I do two attacks and ap is 4 but the turn doesnt end automatically. I have to press end turn to end turn.

If I need to provide more information let me know.
Edit: I have restarted my phone and the problem still persists. I have confirmed that am using the latest version on the google play store. I am using android 8.1 on samsung s7.
Edit2: When I took off both the feline boots and feline gloves out of battle, the problem goes away, my turn ends automatically. When I am wearing only the feline boots the problem persists. When I am wearing only feline gloves the problem persists. I can toggle this problem off when i am wearing no feline armour, but i can toggle it on if I am wearing one or both feline armor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Nut

Re: Not enough AP left this round after attacking

Post by Nut »

The battle automatically ends, when you are not able to do anything more with your remaining AP.
When you wear items or have actor conditions that lower the necessary AP for an action, like the feline items seem to do, you might want to use this after attacking twice. So the battle doesn't end.
Nut
Flaming

Post by Flaming »

Ah very cool. Using an item with the feline boots and gloves costs 3 AP, so if my AP is 3 it goes down to 0, but the turn doesnt end automatically there either.
Unequiping and equiping and moving all costs 4 AP.

This feature could use a preference toggle though, where if there is not enough AP to "attack" even though there is enough to use an item then you can choose either "automatically end turn" or "dont". However if your AP is lowered by a condition, so that you can't attack at all, then what should the game do? End your turn automatically x times in a row?
RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Nut

Post by Nut »

It's getting too complex.
Just use a weapon that needs 1 AP more per hit, and the battle will end again automatically :)
Nut
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

It would be nice if AP=0 meant automatic end of turn, no matter what order you do things. Or indeed if your AP is less than the minimum of attack, move, use item, and equip item, enough can all differ.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Flaming

Post by Flaming »

I sure hope that when I get 12 AP, the turn ends automatically after 3 attacks, or else the feline gloves and boots won't be worth it in a quality of life perspective.

Edit:
A work around for this bug is the jewel of fallhaven. I have 11 AP, I do 3 attacks of 3 ap each to get 2 ap left over, I can't do anything, the AP is reset. I can now wear the feline boots and gloves.
Dan_W_58

Post by Dan_W_58 »

I came to this forum to report an elusive bug where sometimes the game freezes in the middle of a fight,, and only recovers when I press End Turn. But now, reading this thread I realize that something along these lines was happening.
I might add that in my case, actions other than strike were of equal or higher cost, so this should not have happened to me, but it did. Trying to strike or to move did nothing, and the app seemed crashed; but pressing End Turn would make the game recover and continue.
If I may suggest, one solution might be that actions other than strike are only permitted at the start of a turn.
Another solution is to ensure that the strike action is always the AP-cheapest.
Another solution is the OP's, namely to only consider the AP cost of a strike to detetmine end of turn.
Of the three solutions, the first is too intrusive; the second requires data modifications. The third one is the most subtle an simplest to implement.

But I have a rather pointy question ... I hope someone didn't use a float somewhere in the AP code?
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

It's not frozen, except in the sense that the game doesn't know what you want to do. One option is to end your turn, but there are others. You could use a potion or other item, reequip a piece of gear, or flee. What is available to you depends on the cost of those actions and the amount of AP you have left. As long as one of them is possible, the game waits for you to make a decision.
Only permitting actions other than strike at the start of a turn would kill hit and flee tactics, which are commonly used.
Making strike always cheaper would require massive changes to the game content and/or mechanics, and would kill a lot of combat options that players currently use.
Only considering the cost of a strike, see both of the above.
In short, just bashing something until it's dead is not the only way to play out combat. There are other options, and we will not kill those options.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Dan_W_58

Post by Dan_W_58 »

I understand. The reason the OP suggested skipping options on last strike, I believe and share his concern, is the unintuitiveness of that situation.
If sacrificing options at any time is off the table, a more coding- intense solution, but very elegant, might be making the interface more clear, such as having 5 buttons at the top or bottom of the screen for the 5 types of AP consuming actions (and removing the status/inventory bar), namely,

Move | Weapon | ItemUse | Strike | EndTurn

At the start of a turn these icons are active. As AP's become insufficient, they become grayed-out.
EndTurn is never grayed out.
Strike could be pressed from anywhere on the screen as at present, but the button serving to show grayed out status when AP's don't suffice.
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by CKork »

Dan_W_58 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:45 pm I understand. The reason the OP suggested skipping options on last strike, I believe and share his concern, is the unintuitiveness of that situation.
If sacrificing options at any time is off the table, a more coding- intense solution, but very elegant, might be making the interface more clear, such as having 5 buttons at the top or bottom of the screen for the 5 types of AP consuming actions (and removing the status/inventory bar), namely,

Move | Weapon | ItemUse | Strike | EndTurn

At the start of a turn these icons are active. As AP's become insufficient, they become grayed-out.
EndTurn is never grayed out.
Strike could be pressed from anywhere on the screen as at present, but the button serving to show grayed out status when AP's don't suffice.
Good suggestion. Second that. Makes it more intuitive indeed
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)