Tablet GUI Feedback

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Re: Tablet GUI Feedback

Post by Taledus »

fiernaq wrote:You should be able to tap anywhere on the screen while you're in combat to attack again. The attack button itself is never actually necessary.

Oh, and Taledus, it's called a fork and assuming you can make it an option rather than a constant setting I'm sure Oskar would be willing to look into merging the branches back into each other.
Right, but I primarily use my mini keyboard, hitting the arrow keys to run into enemies, and repeatedly hitting any arrow to keep attacking until they are dead...until I have to go into inventory or use quick slots, then I have to actually touch the screen, and I use a stylus cause I am super-picky-OCD +12 about finger prints...LOL

But I did not know just click anywhere on the screen. I will have to test that out later.

And I wasn't looking to fork from the project with this as I am not very proficient with Java (actually I have no clue what is going on cause I am experienced with .NET stuff). If I ever happened to luck up and get it to work, it would then have to be thoroughly looked at by one of the dev's in order to make a menu option for it, as well as all the necessary GUI stuff that goes along with having an optional GUI layout for tablets (using landscape layout)...I'm not sure it is very popular.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Santa Clause was good to my wife and I yesterday. :lol:
She got a Google Nexus 7 and I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Her's is much better, but at least mine is bigger.

Anyway, I am reviving this topic because I am really disappointed that the game doesn't stretch to consume the full real estate of the screen like it does in my wife's Nexus 7. My Tab 2 is 10.1 inches and my wife's is 7".

Example, In Crossglen, walk out the hero's home and the entire town is visible when played with the Tab 2. But the town is outlined in a black border. I would have expected to see more of the map between crossglen and Fallhaven instead of this black border.

I am assuming that this is a rendering issue similar to html when the html element is coded with hard-coded pixels instead of percentages, thus preventing the element from growing and contracting as the browser page's size changes. I am sure the game is more complicated than this. I just mentioned html as an example of similar behavior.

This area of the world is just an example of where this behavior can be seen.

I know that Oskar implemented tablet support back in v0.6.9, but I suspect that it was for 7" tablets only or maybe for 10" running Honeycomb or Gingerbread (I'm not sure tablets ever had Gingerbread). Could this be an Ice Cream Sandwich issue? That is another difference between my Tab 2 and my wife's Nexus. Mine is running ICS 4.0.4 and she is running Jelly Bean 4.2.0.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Gecq

Post by Gecq »

But shouldn't the character's range of view be limited somehow? What about a "fog of war" like effect (showing the known shape of the map but not with actual game content). Of course there are only some cases where it matters such as Allaceph cave or Vacor's quest.
Antison

Post by Antison »

Gecq wrote:But shouldn't the character's range of view be limited somehow? What about a "fog of war" like effect (showing the known shape of the map but not with actual game content). Of course there are only some cases where it matters such as Allaceph cave or Vacor's quest.
I am simply referring to the fact that the game does not expand to the width of the screen when there are adject map tiles to do so. I am not referring to the world map(treasure chest-> map) which I believe you are.
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

I am confused.
If you see black that is the edge of that individual map. We only render the map you are actively on. You don't see other maps because they are only tied together at their map change events. This is how the game has always been.
Gecq

Post by Gecq »

I wasn't referring to the world map but to the fact sdevaney is referring to. You should only be able to see the active tile. My fog of war proposal would be a nice to have feature that would probably only make sense really when the gaps have been filled.
Antison

Post by Antison »

sdevaney wrote:I am confused.
If you see black that is the edge of that individual map. We only render the map you are actively on. You don't see other maps because they are only tied together at their map change events. This is how the game has always been.
Scott,

I understand what you are saying, but in the little playing around with my wife's nexus 7, wherever I see the black border on my Tab 2, I don't see it on her's. And on the flip side, on her device we see more of the Crossglen map then we do on our Galaxy s3's. But I would expect this as the nexus has 3+ inches on the s3. But going by what you said, it looks to me like no map is bigger than 7". Thus the reason why the Tab 2 @ 10" is showing the black border when the map doesn't exceed 7" (which seems to always be the case).
Maybe screenshots will help.
CrossGlen-Nexus.png
Crossglen-Tab2.png
I would expect the remaining "dead space" to the right of the Tab 2 screenshot would fill-in with the subsection of the nextmap to the right.

Looking at this map on my Galaxy S3, I don't see nearly as much real estate, but as I travel east from the starting house, the map renders more of the map well before reaching the map-changing tile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

I think the limit on map size is 30x30 tiles and that is really just a guideline, as far as I know there is no technical reason they couldn't be bigger.

As far as seeing the surrounding maps is concerned, that is something I don't remember being brought up before. It might be worth a discussion since we are seeing more and more larger tablets and phones.
Antison

Post by Antison »

sdevaney wrote:I think the limit on map size is 30x30 tiles and that is really just a guideline, as far as I know there is no technical reason they couldn't be bigger.

As far as seeing the surrounding maps is concerned, that is something I don't remember being brought up before. It might be worth a discussion since we are seeing more and more larger tablets and phones.
okay, great, sounds like we are on the same page now. Thanks!