v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

EASY mode

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Re: EASY mode

Post by lady black »

IMHO, neither an easy mode nor a hard mode should be implemented until the basic game has been completed. While giving the character a head start for easy mode, seems to be a good idea, I feel that it is not sufficient to make the game "easy" by itself. I am not sure that a character starting with negative stats would survive killing the two rats in the garden, much less those in the cave. The people who think it is too hard mainly object to one or both of (a) the amount of experience lost when you die, (b) the grinding necessary to get geared-up well enough to have a reasonable chance of survival in the initial quests and dungeons. Neither of these "problems" will be solved by the proposed head start. They are problems of these players not having the same game-playing philosophy as Oskar has. This will not been solved easily, and perhaps the AT community is better off if these people do not continue to play AT. There is no law that everyone must like AT, just because we all know that it is a great game.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Lady Black,

+100
VERY WELL SAID!!!! I could not agree more!
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
mdmedlin
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by mdmedlin »

This game is what it is. It's a game that we play to pass the time and see what new areas and monsters have popped up since the last update. There are other games like this, but this one is different. Oskar wanted a game where he would have input from the people playing the game, people who could make it better with their opinions and ideas. What I think has made this game so addicting for me, is the fact that I have a say in what happens, I mean Oskar has the utmost and last say, but I can write dialogue for a quest and items and he will consider it. I love the fact that I have a little piece in this game. I have helped, as little as it may be, in making this game better. Whether it is through discussions on these boards, or writing quests, mobs, and items, I have made this game better. If it is too hard for some people to play it, then maybe it is not worthy of them. If it is too hard, then maybe you have to put a little bit of effort into the game, figure it out, and figure out what you can do to make it easier. It's not like these forums are hidden from other players, you can access it right from the game. There are people who have been playing the game ever since the beginning, and there are those that are new to the game. If you have any questions, they will be answered, most likely the same day. People come to these boards because they want to help others. They want to engage in discussion about this game that they have come to love. Honestly, I don't know what I am going to do if I ever get my RoLS, and if it never happens, so be it. I will probably give up at some time in the future and go on to the other quests as they become open, only to be dragged back into the darn gargoyle cave once more. Not everyone here can write code or the like, but they have all contributed in their own way. It's almost like a family of misfits and we have all come together to announce our addiction to this way of life. I tried to walk away once before, I got tired of the relentless grinding, but I came back. I came back because actually, it's not about the game, it's about the community and I found myself missing the discussions about the game and how we can make it better. We don't need an easy mode in this game, we just need our game, our way, just the way we like it.
Level 39 Exp: 1093259 HP: 111 AC: 189% AD: 22-29 AP: 6 CC: 10% CM:2 BC 54% DR: 0 SR:2543 RoLS: 1

frog killer
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

Exactly! +10
This community on the forum is a big part of the overall AT experience.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

+1 Excellent posts here,

Community of AT is very importat part of the AT.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

You guys make this forum exciting. I'm so glad that we have such a great community here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bard
android_version: 4.0

Post by Bard »

@mdmedlin
How can you say you like the discussions and the community and then try to put a discussion aside?
You say "our game" and "the way we like it", but who are you talking about? Are only the hardcore gamers the ones who belong to this "we"?
I have no problem with a discussion that ends with good arguments against an easy mode. To this day the discussion about it hasn't even generated more than a blurry idea. But I dislike cutting this discussion off this way! As long as Oskar doesn't say: "People get over it!" I think there is no one, who can cut off this discussion, because it is the way he likes it or not.
So please, step aside and hit No!, when it may come to a poll about an easy mode. "We" have understood, that you dislike an easy mode.
kerasi
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by kerasi »

Bard wrote:@mdmedlin
How can you say you like the discussions and the community and then try to put a discussion aside?
You say "our game" and "the way we like it", but who are you talking about? Are only the hardcore gamers the ones who belong to this "we"?
I have no problem with a discussion that ends with good arguments against an easy mode. To this day the discussion about it hasn't even generated more than a blurry idea. But I dislike cutting this discussion off this way! As long as Oskar doesn't say: "People get over it!" I think there is no one, who can cut off this discussion, because it is the way he likes it or not.
So please, step aside and hit No!, when it may come to a poll about an easy mode. "We" have understood, that you dislike an easy mode.
You've assumed a lot from his post that he doesn't mention. He might be talking about him and his wife or dog for all you know. He doesn't mention about hardcore gamers.
mdmedlin wrote:We don't need an easy mode in this game, we just need our game, our way, just the way we like it.
In my opinion he's summed up what others has said in there post but again now i'm assuming without his clarification.

As for an easy mode......The game is easy once you get over the first 5 levels and that's only the first time you play. When you start a new character you know what to expect and can prepare better. (ie not try to attack a rabid dog or wander too far.....). Every game has a learning curve and once you get over it then there's nothing too it. I would say in any new characters i've died from over reaching in tougher areas before my characters ready rather than difficulty. The game is so easy an experienced player can complete all current content with a level 1!

I for one like the style of diablo. Do it on normal then nightmare then hell, and for those that like an even greater challenge hardcore mode!!!!!!
Lvl: 54, XP: 2828096, Gold: 8478, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0
HP: 149, AC: 210%, AD: 63-69, AP: 2/12, CC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 31%, DR: 1
Bard
android_version: 4.0

Post by Bard »

kerasi wrote:You've assumed a lot from his post that he doesn't mention. He might be talking about him and his wife or dog for all you know. He doesn't mention about hardcore gamers.
No I don't assume a lot. I just read what he wrote.
mdmedlin wrote:... it's about the community ... . We don't need an easy mode in this game, we just need our game, our way, just the way we like it.
When he mentions "we", he is talking about the whole community and that (t)his community does not need or want an easy mode, because it is 'their game'.

But getting back to topic:
I think the game flow is broken. There are always a few quests you can take until you have to grind for food, xp or equipment until you can go on "to play the game". This comes up the first time, when you have to go into the rat cave, because you are far way from being able to go through the cave when you get the quest. You may kill the first rats, but then you have to go back to bed to recover and eventually level up the kill one or two rats more.
That you can beat the game as a full geared up level one saving after every fight does, in my opinion, not count as easy ...
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Someone said to me that if you start a game on easy you will never really be good at it. Start on normal difficulty not easy.
As for a hard/extreme difficulty just sell all your gear - that should up the difficulty.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.