v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

ranged weapons?

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Bishop
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Ranged Combat

Post by Bishop »

Hi Andors trail people. A quick question; are there any bows in this game. Ive only just started out and have a liking for playing as an archer in RPG's. (Liking the game so far, I have high hopes that it will turn out to be good. Looks promising.)
Avalon archer

Re: Ranged Combat

Post by Avalon archer »

Hey bishop, welcome to the forums!
No, there arent any bows, I too like bieng an archer, but the system is swords, axes, hammers, daggers, etc. Its set up for close combat monster bashing lol
ButYoull love the game, ive fallen in love with AT, we are all addicted to it here haa
How far are you in the game?
THE SAD TRUTH IS, THE TRUTH IS SAD, AVALON ARCHER, THE ONCOMING STORM
"VALUGHA, SAVE US ALL"
LVL 76 HP:102, AC:357%, AD:60-70, BC:20%, AP;4/12
RoLS:2, ELyR:1, RoL:1, CHAR:1, SHAF:2, VSH:3, SRoV:2, GoLF:2
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: ranged weapons?

Post by Pyrizzle »

[combining threads]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Thanks for the welcome Avalon Archer. Sorry about the delay in replying I have been stuck in the cold nasty real world for a while and on a mad music phase of existence. Plus discovered girlfriends arn't just for xmas and require some maintenance. God they should come with a manual. Didnt my beard and liking for graphic novels give her some clues about me? Ive only just started really in the game. Got driven out of the cave in the village cos apparently I am too much of a wuss for rats. So I am running round killing anything in an effort to level up. There are some tough rats in that cave and heres me expecting ratz to be early leveling up fodder. I will post more once I get further into the game and can form some opinions.
Shaaw

Post by Shaaw »

I think ranged weapons are a great idea, but not a huge priority. Before implementation they would need to resolve a couple issues though namely:

- AI improvements where AI will actually pursue you aggressively
- During each round, ALL monsters would have to have a turn, not just the one you are actively in combat with. This would allow the monsters to continually pursue you even if you are attacking them from a range
- All AI would need a new attribute for move cost to allow them to move at varying speeds during each turn.
Lvl: 42, XP: 1344539, Gold: 16353, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0
HP: 120, AC: 218%, AD: 20-26, AP: 2, ECC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 113%, DR: 3
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

All mobs do get a turn each round now... The move cost is something that would need to be added. Actually, I think the ai implemented in the current test version is getting toned down, but don't take my word for that, as I don't have a copy of it :D
Yes, the monster ai needs to be fixed before ranged combat can be implemented. In fact, oskar was opposed to ranged combat entirely until he started implementing the new ai system
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

The V0.7.0 update will feature NPCs that can move while you are still in combat. Depending on the NPC you might end up getting swarmed, it happens.

We are still tweaking the system trying to figure out what will be best in the end. We are still working on it.

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

Konizooka
android_version: 4.0

Post by Konizooka »

Pyrizzle wrote:The V0.7.0 update will feature NPCs that can move while you are still in combat. Depending on the NPC you might end up getting swarmed, it happens.

We are still tweaking the system trying to figure out what will be best in the end. We are still working on it.
Getting swarmed by lower level NPCs is not a problem, it's the higher level ones that cause a problem.. Like u can handle a swarm of Auleths, but a swarm of White Wyrms would certainly be extremely tough, mainly for low key players..
When everyone is against you, there's always the Shadow standing with you.Image
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

Konizooka wrote:
Pyrizzle wrote:The V0.7.0 update will feature NPCs that can move while you are still in combat. Depending on the NPC you might end up getting swarmed, it happens.

Getting swarmed by lower level NPCs is not a problem, it's the higher level ones that cause a problem.. Like u can handle a swarm of Auleths, but a swarm of White Wyrms would certainly be extremely tough, mainly for low key players..
.. getting swarmed by spiders.... and then there are those servants and masters of plaguestrider.. they are too far away... i cannot reach them...those jerks are casting some spells... :twisted:
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

A necessary first step in the addition of ranged weapons would be the determination of line of sight. I have some ideas on how to implement this that I'll post details separately in the Dev forum and link back here.

Line is sight, in combination with range, could also be used to implement lighting (torches, lanterns etc.) - not just carried by the player but also to make things like a room with a central but partial light that does not reach into dark corners, alcoves, etc.

We could even alter the main view so that only line of sight is visible instead of the whole map. This step could mean that you don't know there is a mob just around the corner until you turn it. Walls and other permanent fixtures could remain on the screen, but shaded differently, after you've passed them, but mobs and loot have to be in line of sight. Even the world map could be ungraded to only show the tiles that have been line of sight.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6