v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Character Movement

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Character Movement

Post by Pyrizzle »

We have some great ideas going here:

+1 to the quadrent idea

The quickslots really do get in the way when traveling south. (Unless you play horizontally, then going west can be troublesome.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miksa
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Miksa »

Few suggestions.

Moving virtual D-pad

When you press and hold your finger to the screen the D-pad will appear under the finger and you can slide the finger to the desired direction. This would help with two issues. The D-pad wouldn't block the view when the character is one the edge of the map. Also the D-pad is a bit too small on a high resolution tablet, it is often difficult to press the right direction and I end up running around the enemies.

Double-tap movement

When you double-tap some point on the map, the character will walk the shortest path to there trying to avoid the enemies. If you double-tab an enemy the character will try to attack it while avoiding the other enemies.

Screen not scrolling at every move

Because the screen scrolls everytime the character moves this slows down the game, noticeable when the screen stops scrolling near the edge of the map. The constant screen jumps makes watching the screen unpleasant. This problem could be helped if the screen scrolled in advance of the movement and would only scroll when the character passed the center of the screen. And this point the screen could scroll to a position where the character would be about 1/3 of the path from the edge of screen to the center. Alternative improvement would be for the screen to scroll smoothly.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Hello Miksa and welcome to the forums.

These ideas are great and really make sense in terms of ergonomics.
I really prefer the smooth scrolling to your other option but it implies an almost full rewrite of the rendering engine, throwing away many of the smart optimizations made by Oskar in this matter.

Actually, none of your ideas are trivial to implement, but I definitely love them. A lot. A huge whole lot. And I rarely say that.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Movement: Keeping character center of screen.

Post by twirlimp »

For me, this wouldn't solve my biggest issue with movement: Even when I'm positive that my finger is perfectly in line with the character, I tend to veer off to the side, causing my to run circles around enemies I'm trying to attack, or to charge ones I'm trying to avoid.

My solution, that I posted in another thread, is to split the screen into a 3x3 grid. Touching the north quadrant makes you go north, the northeast quadrant makes you go northeast, etc, regardless of where the character is relative to the touch.
Zukero wrote:
What do you think?

It doesn't seem to differ a lot and I'm not sure if it'll really make things easier. Especially since there's a D-pad now.

Edit: I've been looking at this stickied thread for ideas, but it's awfully outdated at this point.

I guess stoutford here I come.
ideas plox