Arena combat, multiplayer concept.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Arena combat, multiplayer concept.

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Pyrizzle wrote:The only problem i see is that people can (and most likely will) modify the game to cheat, we would have to figure out a way around this. I trust the forum members, its the general public that makes me paranoid. :lol:
If the characters used for an arena or multiplayer were kept on a server, that would be the only way I could see that working. It would keep cheating out of the picture. Of course, servers cost money, unless someone had one they wanted to donate. :P
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

DarkSavant13 wrote:
Pyrizzle wrote:The only problem i see is that people can (and most likely will) modify the game to cheat, we would have to figure out a way around this. I trust the forum members, its the general public that makes me paranoid. :lol:
If the characters used for an arena or multiplayer were kept on a server, that would be the only way I could see that working. It would keep cheating out of the picture. Of course, servers cost money, unless someone had one they wanted to donate. :P
I don't see that as being an option (but you never know). I'm really not a fan of the Arena Idea and the game should be kept the way it is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

Cheating could be made very difficult, without encrypting the save files (which actually wouldn't be to difficult) any program which gatewayed to the arena could check the save file and compute possible exp & base stats and compare to actual before connecting... (remember, savegames store a lot of stuff you can't see in-game) encrypting would be much harder to break, but would require more back end work from the game, while the other way would require someone doing a lot of research and calculations... Just thinking here... :D
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Pyrizzle wrote:
DarkSavant13 wrote:
I don't see that as being an option (but you never know). I'm really not a fan of the Arena Idea and the game should be kept the way it is.
I absolutely agree with you, I don't see it as an option and consider this a hypothetical thread. ;) I don't ever play in "arenas" unless it's something like Unreal Tournament. I, too, would rather keep the game out of arenas. Now hanging out with a friend and running around AT together would be great fun. Hmm, maybe someday... :D
Davo

Battle Arena?

Post by Davo »

I'm thinking of coding a Battle Arena; a place simply to go and have big fights. The concept I have is for a place where XP isn't gained, treasure isn't gained, it is expensive to compete and many of the fights will be designed to be as hard as possible to win.

Anyone else reckon this would be fun? The fights will be hard, they be challenging, it is a place we could both use our large piles of gold loot and to show off our fighting prowess? Each player's Battle Arena Level would be visible within the quest window.

Yep it's no brain-strain, but I reckon it would be great fun!

If there is sufficient interst, and if it fits suitably within the game ethos, I'll happily code it.

regards
Dave
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Battle Arena?

Post by Sarumar »

+1 , this will be lots of fun !
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Davo wrote:I'm thinking of coding a Battle Arena; a place simply to go and have big fights. The concept I have is for a place where XP isn't gained, treasure isn't gained, it is expensive to compete and many of the fights will be designed to be as hard as possible to win.
No XP gained, no gold looted, and it is expensive to enter. Plus we will most likely have to use our potions and meat. I am sorry but this is pointless. Risk/reward is not worth the effort. Spend gold and consume resources for what gain :?:
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

I would say something like this would only work for a multiplayer game PK'ing (player killing) area in order to gain rank and recognition. Maybe you could rework the idea so it would be like a trial or training run through that still would not require losing XP, but you instead would be ranked somehow according to a predetermined set of conditions.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I agree with tek.

There must be a point. There must be something to win. Entry price, why not. No loot/gold drops, why not. But XP is not something you can prevent a character from getting (I mean, fighting in an arena is just the same as fighting in the wild XP-wise). And there must be a reward, i.e., after you killed X waves of enemies, you get item Y as gladiator reward, potentially with several steps.
You could also prevent potion/food usage, to make it a survival.

I'm all in for tough-fights arena, but give us incentive to play it !
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Davo

Post by Davo »

I guess I'm kind of thinking of it as sort of a game within a game (hence why I was keen to not have it impact on the rest of the Andors Trail experience via XP or treasure & etc). I came up with the concept initially after playing Andors Trail for a while and I got to thinking "what is the hardest monster (or group) that I could beat?" and also "what could other players beat?"

If I don't do this then there are certainly plenty of other quests to code :)

Davo