v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Change respawn place - how?

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Change respawn place - how?

Post by oskarwiksten »

As probably all of you know, you currently respawn at your house in Crossglen when you "die".

Now that the worldmap is starting to get a lot bigger, the further away you travel, the more cumbersome it gets to respawn back in Crossglen when you die. I think that we in some future release should introduce some way to set the spawn point. The game is actually already prepared to make you respawn somewhere else if we want to.

I'm just not sure what way we should allow as spawn place. What options do we have?
- The last place you rested?
- There has been talk of buying houses in other places. I'm not particularly fond of buying houses, but maybe you could "buy" tha spawnpoint somehow?
- Last church of the Shadow that you visited?

What places should we allow the player to respawn to? How do we make the change of spawn place intuitive for the player?
/Oskar
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Change respawn place - how?

Post by sdevaney »

The last place you rested would be the most logical. Only if the player selects that they want to be resurrected there though. (Select from either the Inn Keeper or Priest)

Maybe you could offer a choice (i.e. The Fate Series) where for XX% of XP and Gold you could be resurrected where you die. (On top of the automatic XP penalty for death.)
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

I would just go with the simple respawn where you last rested.
k6blue
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by k6blue »

The italian translation is complete.
Kim

Post by Kim »

I agree with CaptainDoug. It should not be optional or configurable like sdevaney suggests.
LVL 58|XP 3607866|GOLD 119249|HP 159|AP 6|AC 199|AD 35-45|CC 10|CM 0|BC 100|DR 12|
HTC Wildfire - Android 2.2.1 |Rocks 3526|RoLS 0|Update 2013/10/19|
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

there should be a distinction between just resting, and resting at a respawn location.

I dont want to respawn in "the place I camped, the dungeon I was in, the bed at the witches house, or anywhere else respawning from would be disadvantageous".

resting at a respawn location should set it, but not resting everywhere.
AND/OR's ...
Jfaulk

Post by Jfaulk »

The last place you rested makes the most sense. Just have a rest spot in every town I suppose? Maybe a hidden/secret rest spot in the woods too.
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

Lord midnight makes some points but they don't really apply now. As it is with the current resting system, it makes sense to have the respawn spot to be the last place you rested, but if camping or whatever is introduced(which I'm against) it would be better to be able to pick from maybe 1 of 3 options. Although the "fine" for dying should be harsh enough that players don't use it as a form of transportation.
taws34

Post by taws34 »

How about including a screen immediately after you die, allowing you to choose to respawn at home, or at the last place rested/church visited?
Level: 24, Experience: 261279, Gold: 4009, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0
Hitpoints: 55, Attack chance: 127%, Attack damage: 22-23, Attack cost: 3, Critical hit chance: 20%, Critical multiplier: 3, Block chance: 39%, Damage resistance: 1
Dreia

Post by Dreia »

what if you had a series of mages in various locations that for a price can "bind" your soul to a location, thereafter you will always rez at that spot until it is bound somewhere else. You can put these anywhere, even in the middle of large dungeons if one so desired. And they don't have to cost the same either, so strategically placed bind points could cost more than ones in town etc.

~D
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0