v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Classes - unstructured idea

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Classes - unstructured idea

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote: Purely for story-line reasons, it would be fun if random people started calling me "rogue" and "magical warrior"
Love that suggestions, that would be awesome.. building a reputation among the people/places you meet.
Taledus wrote: However, this game does not have a traditional mechanism for stats. Taking this into consideration, what about instead of the Class defining the player, the player defines which Class they are in? This would be something that was changeable by which stats the player decided to have higher than others, and by increasing different stats throughout level progression could essentially allow the player to still freely evolve their player.

A very crude example is if my AC is higher than my BC then I could be classified a warrior...if my BC was higher than my AC then I could be classified a Hero or something to that effect. As stated it is a very crude example so there is no way it will work...

Weapons could then provide bonuses to a list of classes.
As of now, the player does determine his/her own class, there just is no labeling. In my view these are the undefined classes (1 low to 5 high):

Fighter Offense 4, Defense 3, Immunity 2, Critical 2
Paladin Offense 3, Defense 4, Immunity 4, Critical 0-1
Assassin Offense 4, Defense 2, Immunity 1, Critical 4-5

There are a myriad of combinations and I think that's what Oskar wants. Being confined to a particular class will prevent this fluidity.

With that said, there is a bit of class confinement built into AT because of the choices you make throughout the adventure, but this is mostly irrelevant. Let's see what other combos we can have:

5/3/3/0 (no crits, just AD)
2/5/4/0 (tank)
5/1/0/5 (glass canon)
2/3/5/0 (priest)

These extremes are mostly pointless, so the best "classes" are the main 3 mentioned above but with slight variations according to personal play style. And, finally, we have the angel class:

5/5/5/5 (possible at level 200 and above) :D
Voom
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
twirlimp wrote: Purely for story-line reasons, it would be fun if random people started calling me "rogue" and "magical warrior"
Love that suggestions, that would be awesome.. building a reputation among the people/places you meet.
Taledus wrote: However, this game does not have a traditional mechanism for stats. Taking this into consideration, what about instead of the Class defining the player, the player defines which Class they are in? This would be something that was changeable by which stats the player decided to have higher than others, and by increasing different stats throughout level progression could essentially allow the player to still freely evolve their player.

A very crude example is if my AC is higher than my BC then I could be classified a warrior...if my BC was higher than my AC then I could be classified a Hero or something to that effect. As stated it is a very crude example so there is no way it will work...

Weapons could then provide bonuses to a list of classes.
As of now, the player does determine his/her own class, there just is no labeling. In my view these are the undefined classes (1 low to 5 high):

Fighter Offense 4, Defense 3, Immunity 2, Critical 2
Paladin Offense 3, Defense 4, Immunity 4, Critical 0-1
Assassin Offense 4, Defense 2, Immunity 1, Critical 4-5

There are a myriad of combinations and I think that's what Oskar wants. Being confined to a particular class will prevent this fluidity.

With that said, there is a bit of class confinement built into AT because of the choices you make throughout the adventure, but this is mostly irrelevant. Let's see what other combos we can have:

5/3/3/0 (no crits, just AD)
2/5/4/0 (tank)
5/1/0/5 (glass canon)
2/3/5/0 (priest)

These extremes are mostly pointless, so the best "classes" are the main 3 mentioned above but with slight variations according to personal play style. And, finally, we have the angel class:

5/5/5/5 (possible at level 200 and above) :D
This is exactly what I had in mind.

The game would be basically reading the player's choices (e.g 5/3/3/0) and generating a name based on that.
With adjectives?
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Yes, it would be a great to name classes this way. However, it should be done elsewhere, like in the forum. I agree with Oscar that the point of the adventure of Andor's brother is to primarily develop the story. Secondary is the action.

Happy New Year's everybody!
Voom