v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Classes - unstructured idea

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Classes - unstructured idea

Post by Taledus »

I've seen several ideas for adding classes to the game. Having classes would essentially limit the player on a road they would have to go down. After much thinking about this though I believe classes still might work, just not in the traditional sense.

Most RPG's that I have seen have a traditional stat system that the player increases in various combinations to boost his/her character for a chosen class:
  • Strength
    Dexterity
    Charisma
    Constitution
    Intelligence
However, this game does not have a traditional mechanism for stats. Taking this into consideration, what about instead of the Class defining the player, the player defines which Class they are in? This would be something that was changeable by which stats the player decided to have higher than others, and by increasing different stats throughout level progression could essentially allow the player to still freely evolve their player.

A very crude example is if my AC is higher than my BC then I could be classified a warrior...if my BC was higher than my AC then I could be classified a Hero or something to that effect. As stated it is a very crude example so there is no way it will work...

Weapons could then provide bonuses to a list of classes.

Also if this game were to ever have any sort of magic system there would have to be additional stats implemented, which then could be configured in to something like this that would allow for other classes.
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: Classes - unstructured idea

Post by nether »

What happens when you are even? Not saying this will happen all the time. Mixed material arts? :lol:

I kind of like this idea. It could also help introduce new skills in a way, making it even more varied. For example, there are some guys up at BWM training right? Maybe they could teach you some type of blackwater skill or let you into their guild if you met the requirements.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

... IMO, so far The Oskar is saying NO.. no classes or career advantages.. this is a story about a young kid who are after his brother.. there is no time to be an apprentice of any art... just need to find brother as soon as possible..
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Sarumar wrote:... IMO, so far The Oskar is saying NO.. no classes or career advantages.. this is a story about a young kid who are after his brother.. there is no time to be an apprentice of any art... just need to find brother as soon as possible..
I am so tired of the classes discussion for this reason. Oskar said "no", thus making this topic pointless.
Last edited by Antison on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Maybe we can add that to the FAQ?

"Ideas that have been suggested but will not be added into the game".
And we could put a link to the first suggestion (since some of these have been suggested more than once) where there would be a reply from one of the devs stating that it doesn't fit with their vision of the game.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

I did see that classes were not going to be implemented, but what I found people were discussing traditional style class systems. I did not see an idea similar to this or I would have not suggested it. Sorry guys.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

No reason to apologize.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
SlipEternal
android_version: 3.0

Post by SlipEternal »

I am posting here since this idea is similar to the idea of classes, but not quite. How about each character starts with a few skill points that can only be spent on introduction skills (skills that the character picked up prior to setting off after his brother)? These could be selected at character creation, or possibly these skill points could be saved to be used as normal skill points. Perhaps the child spoke often with travelers and has worldly knowledge, giving him bonuses when talking to residents of different towns. Perhaps the child loved to play with practice swords, and begins with some combat ability. Maybe the child is a lover of animals and has the ability to capture a pet wolf or some other animal along his journey. Maybe he has an innate talent for enduring pain, and can survive one blow that knocks him below 0 hp (but not two).
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

+1
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

I think it would work if the "player defined the skill".

Purely for story-line reasons, it would be fun if random people started calling me "rogue" and "magical warrior"
ideas plox