v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Attack type

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Jim

Attack type

Post by Jim »

As it stands combat is more than a little slow. Why even play if I just hit the same attack button over and over? What if we had attacks like a power attack with less chance to hit, or it costs more AP, but it does more damage. Or a defensive strike that takes penalties from damage, or chance to hit and adds them to block or damage resistance. Even a measured strike that has a greater chance to hit or critical at a much larger AP cost.

I think the ability to quickly change up your battle strategy would add a ton more depth to combat, and it would make handling specialized enemies more fun. Anyone think this sounds good?
ScorpionZ

Re: Attack type

Post by ScorpionZ »

Mixed.

Don't forget the game is being played on a phone.

There has been talk of potions, but if you get to deep into how you attack, I feel it will complicate the game way too much.

If you are looking to alter your fighting style, try building a defensive scheme and raise your block chance or go all out in attack.
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945
Fruit Fly

Post by Fruit Fly »

I personally really like this idea, it doesn't seem over complicated to me. three or four different attack styles seems like a great way to tweak things for the better
Numba1Gunner

Post by Numba1Gunner »

I for one would be in support of this type of addition for the game down the road. I think that adding depth to the individual combats would make the game more exciting.

That being said the underlying desire of OP would not be fully recognized by just giving players more attack options. to truely create a play experience that seems less repetitive and "grindy" would require much more random battle mechanics.

Right now you can very easily decide when you fight and who you fight. No matter how many options you are given, fighting a rabid dog, a gargoyle, or a shadow gargoyle trainer 1v1 will always have an optimal strategy. i.e. attack one way or antoher until you need to heal, then heal. Even if you include attack style 2, the sequence will just become attack 1, attack 2, heal, attack 1, attack 2, heal, or most likely.... attack 2 attack 2 attack 2 heal attack 2 attack 2 attack 2 heal.

that experience you are looking for sounds alot like other RPG games like FF where when runnning through a dungeon you don't actually see any enemies. You just randomly encounter them with that flashing cut screen, and then poof you are in a battle sequence with 1, 2, 3, or even 4 monsters of either the same type or a different type. not knowing who you are going to fight or when you are going to fight them is a better way of increasing excitement to the battle sequence, rather than just giving you a second attack option (which most likely will jsut become the default, and making the original a relic given the current system).

The other thing that would make your suggestion of alternate attack types necesarry or valuable is a complete retooling of the enemy system. Right now all enemies act identically, aside from dmg, speed, life, and dodge/attack chance. There are no elements, or resistances.

Unless a new battle system, or a new enemies system is implemented, I think any new battle skills or attack types will leave you realizing the game is actually just the same.

This isn't a criticism of the game, I actaully love it for what it is, I'm just pointing out that this change if implemented will only be useful if paired with other changes.
LVL 40|XP 1167608|Gold 63454|RoLS 0|ElyR 0|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 0|ShaF 0
HP 60|AC 165|AD 26|AP 2/10|CC 0%|CM -|BC 27|DR -
LVL 32|XP 632680|Gold 20154|RoLS 0|ElyR 0|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 0|ShaF 0
HP 74|AC 190|AD 25-31|AP 3/12|CC 7%|CM -|BC 35|DR 0
SR 2564
ScorpionZ

Post by ScorpionZ »

Mind changed. I now second.
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945
talusmiga

Post by talusmiga »

Great game besst story so far. a little too grindy especially for money and some unevenness ie at times monstera are so tuff go up a level or get a certian necklase and grimlins are now too easy. I personally would like to see an rpg with a fight system using the uniqueness of touch pad like: tap means parry(quicker but half damage keeping enemies at a distance -1 ap cost, side to side normal damage normal cost, top down + damage or double crit chance but slower so +1 ap cost so depending on weapon ap cost you will want to change your attack stratagy and any round you plan on healing may also be different ie mace perry perry 3ap x2 heal 4 ap round done but normal attack down down ap5 x2 for greater crit chance. You could then easily have a "rock paper scisors" effect makeing down strock less effective against perry but more effective against side to side. Now add monsters tend to use certian attacks like gremlins perry and you have a need to carry and use diff weapons against diff monsters and for a truely interesting fighting experience each type requires profiency from use then pay for training to increase but thats too much for current phone games.