v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Implement a skill system

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Aceofspades25

Implement a skill system

Post by Aceofspades25 »

I'd like to continue the discussion started here regarding the skill system.

While I remain fairly neutral on the topic of whether a skill system should be implemented at all, it seems inevitible that it will be eventually, so I would like to add my thoughts.

A frustrating element of many RPG's is the lack of information up front about a particular path that can be chosen. Often a choice is presented to players that has very little meaning initially, but will constrain them to follow a particular path throughout the game. While I am not opposed to locking in a players skill points that have been invested (I understand Oskars reasoning for this), I do feel that there needs to be information up front about what abilities they will be able to unlock later on in the game if they follow that path.

Perhaps allow players to browse the entire skill tree (either offline or in-game), so that they can strategically choose the type of player they would likle to build.
lord midnight

Re: Implement a skill system

Post by lord midnight »

maybe one of the books in letas? basement, where Andor goes to practice wooden sword, can talk about some of the classes, the basement library in Fallhaven could have more, so the info is there early, but you still find it in the story?
AND/OR's ...
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

lord midnight wrote:maybe one of the books in letas? basement, where Andor goes to practice wooden sword, can talk about some of the classes, the basement library in Fallhaven could have more, so the info is there early, but you still find it in the story?
I like the idea of incorporating that type of information into the overall story and feel of the game. Most games just hit you with all of it up front in a tutorial or not at all as the OP said.

The main thing we need to be sure of is that we can't put the info somewhere that a player might not venture to. Because not every player will complete every quest or explore every area.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

well, since I dont have anything else to go on, Mihkail could ask you about the first 3 character types I mention, Tough, Smart and Friendly, and the book found in the basement, which you are directed to go into, could have information on the job types. If the basement isnt good, then one of the older townspeople could talk to you about it in the inn. The guy hunting Rat Tails could talk about it for a sentence or two as well, that sort of thing, like what your job is in the village.
AND/OR's ...
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

Sounds good to me. Or even when reading the book it tells you about Andor and what character type he is. I'm not sure how that will mesh with the story line but i imagine it could fit pretty well.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

perhaps it is open to the page on what Andor was studying to be ?
AND/OR's ...
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

I feel like this is actually going somewhere. This is a must-add to the game.