Heavy Weapons

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Korrun
android_version: 4.0

Heavy Weapons

Post by Korrun »

It seems that the heavy weapons (like many items in Andor's Trail) are not very useful. When I purchased my first club without realizing the attack cost, it only took one battle to run screaming back to the hardened long sword that I had been using. Since then I have found a few heavy weapons that seem better because of criticals, but still don't seem to be useful (I haven't heard any players on the forums use them anyway). I had a few thoughts on how they could be made more tempting in comparison to quick strike dagger and such. Some of these ideas could be combined, some would stand alone, and some I think are better than others :D , but here you go:

1. Make them all have criticals (or more criticals for those that have them). Start at x2 for the basic clubs and up to maybe x4 for things like the gutsplitter.

2. Have a chance of causing conditions like concussion (or increasing the chance if you have that skill)

3. Ignore a certain amount of DR in enemies. (not my favorite idea)

4. Have an item such as the woodcutter's gloves that make all weapons use 5 ap no matter what. (has the nice side effect of making items that add to your ap now an option to use for this type of build)

5. Instead of a flat range of damage, have the damage be something like x2 of character's base damage (might be nice since at higher levels the damage from a weapon means absolutely nothing)

Any thoughts on these ideas? Have your own ideas about these types of weapons?
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Re: Heavy Weapons

Post by Mino »

some of these are similar to suggestions I've made so naturally I agree.

In the meantime, here are some current ways to get more use of them using skills.
1) get a few levels of More Criticals, and equip items with critical skill like villains leather armor, polished ring of backstabbing (or RoLS), troublemakers gloves, bar brawlers boots, and feathered hat (if you have one). that should help with items like the skull crusher.

2) get at least 2 levels of cleave. this won't help in 1v1 fights but should get you an extra attack when fighting a mob with something like the skull crusher. for the gut splitter you just need one level if you have 12 AP (either from combat speed or speed potions).

all of this assumes you're wearing the jewel of Fallhaven, and have used most of your level ups on AD and AC.
Last edited by Mino on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

I also agree with you both. Maybe heavy weapons are improved anyway in the next version? At least, some skills will be aviable which allow you to become an expert for heavy or light weapons.
But I'd also like to see your ideas for an improvement in game!
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

Welcome to the forums Korrun!

These are good suggestions. My two cents:

I like options 1 and 2,

Option 3 wouldn't win me for this weapons.
Option 4 I don't know yet. I have the feeling this could be abusive somehow.

option 5: +1!
Gutsplitter and skullcrusher would really rock at higher levels if they doubled your base damage :twisted:
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
Korrun

Post by Korrun »

Yes option 5 would definitely make the gutsplitter and skullcrusher fit there names! :)

I know option 4 sounds weird, but it could really help with having equipment that only worked with certain builds. Since your attack cost would always be 5, you could attack twice no matter what else you had (such as wearing armor that increases attack cost). It also would make the JoF useless (which would be a nice twist). I don't really like the idea of the villain/backstabbing items being the best to use with clubs and hammers. Seems like they should work best when paired with daggers. This option would make it so you could have equipment that made sense together thematically.
Korrun

Post by Korrun »

And thanks for the welcome!
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

Korrun wrote:I know option 4 sounds weird, but it could really help with having equipment that only worked with certain builds. Since your attack cost would always be 5, you could attack twice no matter what else you had (such as wearing armor that increases attack cost). It also would make the JoF useless (which would be a nice twist). I don't really like the idea of the villain/backstabbing items being the best to use with clubs and hammers. Seems like they should work best when paired with daggers. This option would make it so you could have equipment that made sense together thematically.
All true, but there are some side effects, for example:
Some weapons, like the ElyR (and Shadow of the Slayer, IIRC), offer +2AP. Combined with a potion of speed you could still attack 3 times.
Some powerful armors have restrictions that would probably be nullified by this idea. The stone armor with its 2AP penalty comes to mind.

These effects are not necessarily bad, but should be thought through thorougly...
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I found the suggestions I had made, including one for equipping woodcutter's items. Links and text below.
There was also some new items I suggested that would have a regular base AD (5-10, etc.) but also a boost of 20-25% of player's base AD, but I like your double amount better.

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5&start=30
Woodcutter's gloves
Woodcutter's boots

When the gloves and boots are equipped, you get the following bonus when using these weapons:
Woodcutter axe - Doubles the AC & AD
Woodcutter's hatchet - lowers attack cost by 1AP
Gutsplitter - lowers attack cost by 1AP
Skullcrusher - Increases critical skill to 15

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2295
Better Attack (Max level 1): You can use this skill once on any purchased weapon with an attack cost of 6 AP or higher to permanently reduce the attack cost by 1AP.

To get level 1 of this skill, you need 2 levels of Combat Speed, 3 levels of Merchant, and 5 levels of Failure Mastery. Once used, the skill is no longer available.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

IMPO:

"1. Make them all have criticals (or more criticals for those that have them). Start at x2 for the basic clubs and up to maybe x4 for things like the gutsplitter."

Adding crits would be a cool addition but with so many NPCs that are immune to crits it really wouldn't give as much as an advantage as you may think.

"2. Have a chance of causing conditions like concussion (or increasing the chance if you have that skill)"

A cool idea, there are already a few skills that can add status effects to your swings, this could be a great addition to large weapons
maybe something like gaping wound x3 (5 rounds)
Gaping wound: When effected you loose 5HP per round, there is no cure

"3. Ignore a certain amount of DR in enemies. (not my favorite idea)"

Not my favorite idea either.

"4. Have an item such as the woodcutter's gloves that make all weapons use 5 ap no matter what. (has the nice side effect of making items that add to your ap now an option to use for this type of build)"

Waaaay to many ways to abuse this for sure, unless the item didn't work in conjunction with the Jewel of Fallhaven (would make the AP then 4 for any weapon), also might work better if it reduced the AP for a weapon to a minimum of 6 instead of 5, but at that point there would only be a few weapons that it would be useful for.

"5. Instead of a flat range of damage, have the damage be something like x2 of character's base damage (might be nice since at higher levels the damage from a weapon means absolutely nothing)"

Interesting idea but to low level players this would make these weapons useless until waaaay late in the game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chingngiy
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by chingngiy »

ahm.... Korrun maybe is right
“A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” 
Elbert Hubbard's hunting knife