Lower Level Quest Ideas

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Lower Level Quest Ideas

Post by PK17 »

The few ideas i have regarding lower level quests (few more in progress)

1: You meet a young woman in the hometown. I was thinking near the exit to the map to the east (although it probably doesn't matter)She is weeping. You ask whats wrong and she tells you that while she was attending her garden she noticed a shadow running away from her house. She went inside only to find her grandmothers precious necklace missing. She then goes on to say the shadow ran to the east of the hometown. Of course as he awesome adventurer you are you tell her you will return it to her. To the east is the animal/beast/monster (whatever it is). Simply vanquish the "mighty" enemy, retrieve the necklace and return it to the young woman. The young woman thanks you and is sorry she has nothing to offer as a reward besides a few pieces of meat and some bread, (Of course a small experience reward will be given) but what she can offer is either a lead(s) to other quests, a general outlay of the land (directions to nearby places), or (if possible) she can give your world map a little bonus and reveal all nearby maps. I like this one because its very simple. One kill, one item, reward. Not very long and it should be easy to code.

2: (a little more challenging) Part 1: To the map just south of the hometown (with entrance to snake cave) you meet a miner (and blacksmith). The miner is distressed because his boss (or customers) are upset because he hasn't been meeting his iron quota. He tells you the snakes ran him out of the cave he had been mining out of. He asks for you to clear them out. He asks that you bring him back 10 (maybe 5 or 15) poison glands from the snakes and the "Hide of the Ancient Serpent" (dropped by cave mini-boss who also drops you the dagger). He thanks you and uses some of his iron to make you a simple shield. (Has to be unique for whats next)

Part 2: He goes on to say that he knows an apothecary he knows who might be able to make something special out of the shield he gave you. (Think there is an apothecary in fallhaven, but it could always just be a regular person there who has no set function in the game. You go there and talk to the man(woman) and he has a project his old teacher (passed on) had been trying to complete. He examines the shield and asks you to leave it with him while you fetch the supplies (ensures you come back for your shield.) He requires some animal hair, some other item (maybe beetle shell... idk) and about 20 snake poison glands (maybe 25 or 30). Upon return with the supplies he takes them and says come back later. Talk to him again to receive your new shield (love it) and as always an xp reward
Iron Shield of Anti-Venom: (don't know fair stats for this early but here is my guess)
AC - 5% ~ BC + 7% ~ Move cost - (or is it plus) 1 (because it is iron it is heavy) Actor condition: (open to debate on how good it should be) Anti-Venom: 20%(15 or 10) at the begging of every round to remove regular poison effects. You spend much time grinding meat in those caves to get through prim and blackwater the first time (this could make it a little easier)

PS: pretty sure Idregh poison is its own condition (I do not want shield to remove Idregh poison)

EDIT: 2/22/13 - very late

3: A man is by the wolfs lair, he says he lost his wife's new puppy and is in the doghouse for it (pun intended). He says the wolfs surrounded it and forced it into their cave. At the end of the cave (behind the wolf boss) is the puppy. You recover and return and the man regrets he has nothing to give. The dog jumps up and licks your face, you suddenly feel different. The dog has just given you the skill "Canine Instinct" ~~ When hp is at or below 10% the player receives a 0-3 AD increase. Xp reward of course
I really like this personally. Shows our character sticks up for all life, not just humanity.

4: This is a long one (i would assume.... coding wise)
It is your basic he said she side running around talking to an assortment of npc's. if someone was willing to go the extra mile they could each ask a task of you. Or just send you running around in circles. I feel this is good because it will get lower level players to travel around, learn the world, and get some xp and gold in the process. Also the xp rewards can be given at each step or a bigger reward at the end.

5: "Some Shady Business" You meet a mysterious stranger in the woods and he asks you if you would like to make some money. You ask him to go on or not get involved. He asks if you can get 20 bonemeal potions to his partner in (a place where bmps are outlawed) "Loneford maybe" You get the potions and meet his "partner" in an ally. The exchange of goods happens (your cut for the bmps) but he turns on you and tries to take the money back. You kill him, get the bmps back and your cut. Good riddance, this world does not need scum like those guys.

6: "Jobs for the Jeweler" (At a Jeweler / clothes dealer) the jeweler is freaking out because he was commissioned to make an engagement ring for a VERY wealthy customer. He mentions he might never have to work again if he can do this right. He asks that you get him a very large amount of gems. (assorted varieties). Once you collect all of the gems for him he tells you he need one more "very special" gem he has arranged for you to pick up from another Jeweler. You retrieve and return the special gem. The Jeweler completes his project and offer you a reward from his personal collection (hes rich now) He gives you "Corundum Rind of Might"
AC 5% BC 5% AD 1-4 (changes welcome)

7: "A Caring Neighbor" You meet a man in fallhaven who is homeless, poor, and hungry. He says a few days ago a giant golden hawk flew over him and drop a bag of magic seeds. You note they do not look like seeds. He says he needs some money to get the garden/farm ready to grow these magic seeds. You can either give him the 1000 (or 1500) gold (it should be a lot for early in the game) or you can tell him his seeds are the marbles he lost and that he is a bum (again, pun intended). However our character (Being the awesome hero/adventurer/brother finder he is) can help the homeless man and give him the money. He give you his new coordinates and tells you to come visit. (the quest continues). You go see him and you notice his awesome garden (giant plants with bright colors everywhere). He goes on to say the seeds are producing massive fruit at an exponential rate. He thanks you and gives you 20 "big fruit" (see crude formula below). He goes on to say every time you come back he will have 5 fruit for you (It will follow shop rules... 3 or 4 mins or rest to replenish stock. (he will have one shop option "5 Big Fruit"
Big fruit formula (it is probably going to need changes) 50% chance "Big apple" +5 hp ~ 25% chance "Big Pear" + 10Hp ~ 10% chance "Big grape bunch" +12Hp ~ 10% chance "Big Banana" +1 DR for (X) rounds ~ 4% chance "Big Orange" +15 Hp~ 1% chance "Golden Mango" + 20hp.

8: "A Sour Note" A young man in fallhaven is frantic. It appears he lost his musical instrument to a "Unique" Highwayman. He had a run in with the highwayman and it was his life or his instrument. There was a struggle but the man got the boys instrument and the boy fled home. You agree to help the boy get his instrument back. You confront the highwayman and he offers you 1000 (or so) gold to forget the whole deal. Accept or fight the highwayman for the boy's instrument. The highwayman drop his instrument and you return it. He is just a boy so he only offers you a book he had taken from the highwayman during the scuffle.

8: Part 2: "A book with no shelf" You ask around fallhaven to try to determine the origin of the book the boy gave you. One person thinks it is in the handwriting of a woman in vilegrad (anywhere). Upon further investigation the woman has moved to loneford. You find her and she thanks you for returning her book. (ironically enough) she gives you a book she found outside of an abandoned house/cabin but has no idea who it belongs to. But she tells you where the cabin/house was. Upon even further investigation the book fits perfectly in a slot on a bookshelf in the abandoned cabin/house. When placed it opens up a secret basement. I figured the basement would contain gold, jewels/gems, fine clothing, and potions (But anything would suffice)

Thanks for reading ~PK

Also I suppose one or two of these could be considered Medium level quests depending on who you are asking. Remember these are ideas and anyone can take them and use at their desire (with their own modifications). All input is welcome.
I am also working on (pretty much finished) a very intricate higher level quest but I first want to PM some of its contents to someone (Closely involved with Development) to determine whether or not some aspects of the quest are racy (it really is not that bad but it is still a family friendly game). Who should ask?

Also i believe #2 is in progress so if you want to pick a different one to make your project.
Last edited by PK17 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Re: Lower Level Quest Ideas

Post by Fire7051 »

Not a bad start but how about the woman sends you to kill that boar that is east of the first town. It is all by itself surrounded by the rabid dogs. She could mention that he comes in and steals her boots gems and food. This would help explain why the boar drops boots, why they have glass gems, and why it is all by itself instead of with other boars like the ones south of Crossglen. Nothing else would need to be coded except for the NPC and quest dialog.

At early levels that boar can be a beast so it will also give players something to build up to early on.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
PK17

Post by PK17 »

I have the boar in the quest on my handwritten draft actually. I figured it would be a good target but since it respawns it might be weird. Also it would explain why a boar has boats for some reason

Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Post by Fire7051 »

Maybe the hero doesn't kill the monsters. Maybe he just beats them up so badly that they run away. Which would explain the splats on the ground. The hero beat the ummm snot out of the monsters therefore the splat. :lol:

Man I got this all figured out. 8-)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
scottdog
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by scottdog »

I like the the 2nd quest, good little idea that one, perhaps a little tweak here and there but for a low level quest +1.Try writing some dialogue for it and posting on this thread,Keep up the good work !
Level 76 HP=112 Gold=450,000
AP=3/12 AC=262% AD=44-55
BC=99% DR=1 Rols=2 Rol=1 ElyR=1 ShaF=1 ChaR=4 GoLF=1 SRoV=8 VSH=1

fandabbydozey
Meirerion
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Meirerion »

I like the second quest idea and I'll work on it.
I'll pm you when it's done (don't wait for it before a week or so).

Maybe for the first one you can add a thief npc hidden in a map just north of the boar and stuff. This is not that hard and I can write the dialogues.
Just need a new map + npc positioned :D.
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

The snake cave doesn't look like a working mine, and we will see what one looks like later in the game. Perhaps it would be better for the miner to say that he is prospecting there, hoping to find ore, and the monsters have driven him out before he could finish exploring it.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
PK17

Post by PK17 »

The "mine" is down a shaft that is too dark for the player to see without a headlamp. Thanks for liking my ideas, I am an avid writer and poet (working on my first novel... many short stories and poetry) so I like to think I have a creative mind. Based on this ill continue working on some more lower level stuff and maybe some higher ones sometime later
on.

I will upload my other ideas hopefully later tonight or tomorrow since i have off work tomorrow.

EDIT:

And thanks (cant recall the name) think you have an avatar pic of some guy (maybe from futrama). Im really looking forward to it.

Someone needs to do the first one though. (Cannot imagine it taking long since it will not need much coding)

Meirerion
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Meirerion »

I'll try to find the time to do it, just have to contact Ian for him to create me the maps that I need.
Maybe for the second quest I can ask him to to create a new map in the snakes cave first room (north wall) which leads to a "higher level" dungeon that looks like a mine.
The background story would be that before it was a mine but the miner opened an entrance to another cave which is the cave with the snake masters (or god knows how they're called). Then all those snakes started to enter the mine and the poor guy couldn't drive them out.
So now he asks you to kill the Snake Mother which spawns all those snakes and that is located in the mine.

Btw, it's DUFFMAN from the simpsons.
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
PK17

Post by PK17 »

Sounds like a good idea. Also i had the right writers just not the right show haha