elder scrolls leveling

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.

Do you like my idea?

Yes
13%
I don't care
No votes
No
88%

Total votes: 16

killerkelvyn21

elder scrolls leveling

Post by killerkelvyn21 »

I think that instead of monsters getting harder as you go farther from the begining It should get harder with the level you are at. It would be similar to elder scrolls games, the loot would also be better as you got to higher levels. What do you guys think? :?:
Infinity is the best number of all.
p.s. I know infinity is used improperly, it is ok.
ScorpionZ

Re: elder scrolls leveling

Post by ScorpionZ »

I think that increased difficulty should be based on progression through the game, not your level. You won't be able to pass certain parts until you reach a certain strength which is only obtainable by leveling. I do not agree with the difficulty changing on previous parts. I like to periodically go back and load up on meat in the snake cave. I would find it irritating to go back to the cave and find the snakes as strong as the trainers I am currently fighting.
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945
Dreia

Post by Dreia »

The whole mobs leveling with you was the worst part (opinion) of Oblivion. It leaves you with no real sense of acomplishment, sine you can go anywhere at level 1 as at level 99999 and have the same difficulty what then is the point in leveling?

~D
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0
Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Oh, I cringed when I read this. What you suggest is called level scaling and it is not a feature of the "Elder Scrolls" games. It is only a feature of the last one, Oblivion. And it's the main reason why the vast majority of fans of the Elder Scroll saga hate Oblivion (or at least unmodded oblivion - community mods were released to remove level scaling). The previous games in the saga (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind) didn't have it.

I personally don't like level scaling, it kills immersion. It doesn't feel realistic if everything gets harder as you level up, it removes strategic choice from the game (going only to easy areas since you are level 3 and they would slaughter you in harder areas) and it tends to create contradictions like Oblivion being easier to finish by remaining level 1 through the whole game rather than levelling normally.
killerkelvyn21

Post by killerkelvyn21 »

I realise that it wasn't in older elder scrolls but it sounds as though it will be implemented in Skyrim so I just generalized. I didn't know that it was called level scaling though. But if you don't like the idea that is fine, it is why I asked. :D Well thanks for your opinions guys.
Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, it's just that that touched my sore spot because I used to be a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls saga precisely until Oblivion came out with its level scaling.

To be more constructive, here you can find a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of level scaling: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gener ... 99983.html
killerkelvyn21

Post by killerkelvyn21 »

I didn't think that you were harsh at all. But I really like level scaling because in other games, if you got to a very high level you could go any where and kill everything in one hit. The reason I even mentioned this is because people in the forums who are in level 50 or higher say they just kill trainers in one hit, to me this would leave no challenge and the game would be boring. That is the one reason I like oblivion.
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

...Just wait for the next releases. There will be a challenge ;)
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
killerkelvyn21

Post by killerkelvyn21 »

Challenge? I like the sound of that! Anyway I never voted yet it says one person voted yes. May I know who and why? Other than that I think we can let this thread die. Again thanks for the opinions.
Kim

Post by Kim »

I wonder what happened to my post which provided an alternative for using level scaling as a training ground.
LVL 58|XP 3607866|GOLD 119249|HP 159|AP 6|AC 199|AD 35-45|CC 10|CM 0|BC 100|DR 12|
HTC Wildfire - Android 2.2.1 |Rocks 3526|RoLS 0|Update 2013/10/19|