v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Increased Fortitude is Overpowered ! Nerf it !

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Aldonse
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Re: Increased Fortitude is Overpowered ! Nerf it !

Post by Aldonse »

There are quite a few constructive ideas here, though I'm starting to wonder how relevant the topic really is; if you think IF gives you an unfair advantage in the game, then don't pick it up. This isn't an MMORPG with PvP. If Bob wants to invest 15 points in IF and wander through the world sans armor, I say let him. That might be really useful going the way of the monk (which I think needs a specialization, but that's a different topic).
Maybe that's oversimplifying, but one thing that makes this game great is the simple freedom to choose your own path, come what may.
Unless the plan is to round out all skills to make all builds equal, in which case you could really just scrap it all and play Pong. Which, actually... Hmm... Any chance of a future quest to defeat an overpowered warlord who's obsessed with table tennis? (Also a different topic, I know.)
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

Aldonse wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:05 am If you think IF gives you an unfair advantage in the game, then don't pick it up.
Exactly. Not hard to understand this simple thing. Freedom of choice is crucial in an RPG game. If people prefer IF over HP stat then it's likely because it satisfies their requirement of increasing health while saving crucial experience points for the rest of the stats. The feature works perfectly! Why downgrade it just to make the +5 HP bonus relevant? If anything, simply replace the +5HP with something different, like introducing conditions to upgrade? It'll only help to make the game more interesting in the larger sense.
Downgrading IF isn't going to work. It'll still make players to pick it over the inferior +5HP alternative!
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Actually, with hindsight, I should not have picked my fourth level of IF. The problem with having a huge number of HP is restoring them if they do get knocked down. Unless you want to be a bonemeal junkie, it's not so easy to do that.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

That's why I've stopped spending more than 1 skill point on IF after realising that I don't need so much health which became an issue for me. Not in terms of restoring but to deplete the health quickly for teleporting purposes and avoid the whole exercise of travelling long distances. I hoard rotten meat as much as possible for this reason. IF isn't an issue if I am not interested in grinding hours across the map for magic items.

That's why IF isn't the problem bere. Should be left on the players. Some players might want to have high HP in their larger strategy to counter any shortcomings on the rest of the stats. Those who want challenge aren't stupid to keep on spending skill points on IF.
So, I don't see IF being overpowered. Going by the OP's loguc, I could list several other things in the game that give player's an advantage if they prioritise improving them further.
Are we going to downgrade everything in this manner?

Let the players decide!

Don't pick IF and use +5HP if it irks too much to some people. Problem solved!