v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Faction points.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Medullan
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Faction points.

Post by Medullan »

So I have been working with the content editor and found that faction points could be a great way for a specific group of monsters to become hostile if you piss them off. i.e. by killing them being mean to them doing quests for their enemies all sorts of things can reduce or increase faction points. This is awesome, but I can not seem to figure out a way for increasing your faction points to improve your relations with a specific group. I would have expected for a faction points option in the dialog section under "Player must fulfill requirements to select this reply" with a faction id tag and ideally a range value. This would then allow a player to open up new dialog options with a variety of npc's once they had earned enough faction points.
Now I could just be missing something in the content editor or in the wiki tutorials but as far as I can tell there is only one side to faction points as it stands now. I am really new to coding so I haven't tried yet to look at the code to see if I can figure that out. I am about to do just that though it seems that the id's and values pretty well speak for themselves and the editor just hasn't been updated to reflect the option of a positive faction point effect.

So to summarize I need a positive faction point dialog requirement to make my story flow more smoothly with less extraneous and repetitive dialog code. If I am just missing it will someone please explain to me how to make it work, or worse case scenario if it isn't already a capability of the code can we add that feature?

I think I found the honey pot and maybe even the spoon??
public static boolean canFulfillRequirement(WorldContext world, Requirement requirement) {
Player player = world.model.player;
GameStatistics stats = world.model.statistics;
boolean result;
switch (requirement.requireType) {
case questProgress:
result = player.hasExactQuestProgress(requirement.requireID, requirement.value);
break;
case questLatestProgress:
result = player.isLatestQuestProgress(requirement.requireID, requirement.value);
break;
case wear:
result = player.inventory.isWearing(requirement.requireID, requirement.value);
break;
case inventoryKeep:
case inventoryRemove:
if (ItemTypeCollection.isGoldItemType(requirement.requireID)) {
result = player.inventory.gold >= requirement.value;
} else {
result = player.inventory.hasItem(requirement.requireID, requirement.value);
}
break;
case skillLevel:
result = player.getSkillLevel(SkillCollection.SkillID.valueOf(requirement.requireID)) >= requirement.value;
break;
case killedMonster:
result = stats.getNumberOfKillsForMonsterType(requirement.requireID) >= requirement.value;
break;
case timerElapsed:
result = world.model.worldData.hasTimerElapsed(requirement.requireID, requirement.value);
break;
case usedItem:
result = stats.getNumberOfTimesItemHasBeenUsed(requirement.requireID) >= requirement.value;
break;
case spentGold:
result = stats.getSpentGold() >= requirement.value;
break;
case consumedBonemeals:
result = stats.getNumberOfUsedBonemealPotions() >= requirement.value;
break;
case hasActorCondition:
result = player.hasCondition(requirement.requireID);
break;

#Will the following code allow for dialog to check the value of faction points and require a set number before presenting a dialog option?
# case alignmentChange:
# result = player.getAlignmentReward(AlignmentReward.valueOf(requirement.requireID)) >= requirement.value;
# break;
default:
result = true;

}
return requirement.negate ? !result : result;
}
The honey pot would be reference to this section of the code and the spoon would be the section I added marked by # which comment that section out??
or to lose the metaphor... If I add that bit of code to that spot is that enough to allow for a faction score check to preclude a specific dialog option? Of course taking into account the proper notation in the conversationlist file.
Moerit
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Faction points.

Post by Moerit »

I dont know about the honeypor or the spoon...
All i can say is that i try to put all requirements into questlogs.
But that only works for smaller quests. I dont know what you are working on but i agree that faction points and rules for them have to be included - even if its only for "nor city" or "feygard"-factions.
We defenetly have to create some rules for that if we want to implend this feature.

Maybe you could trigger your dialogues through the counted kills of a specific monster?
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 151, AC: 248%, AD: 29-40, AP: 4, ECC: 22%, CM: -, BC: 160%, DR: 5
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

This is a good topic (factions) that is reviewed and considered as Andor's Trail continues in development. Factions, alliances, loyalties, feuds, etc., etc., do exist in even places where they are not clearly defined. It's somewhat like real life, where individuals and/or groups choose to live according to their own ideology, or as best they can to follow one they understand, and even faithful to a way of life that is contradictory to its own teachings (often through ignorance), or possibly to exist as a good member in standing that does not wish to go against the flow.

I'd like to believe that the faction point assignment in the content editor shouldn't be viewed as a "catch all" category. There is an approach to assigning creature attributes that determine how they may act if they are attacked, and map triggers to begin an event should you remain too long in their comfort zone. It's difficult for me to comment in general on the many ways to achieve a desired outcome. The content editor is one of the more helpful tools to aid in creating content, but not to be considered a form of "Mad Libs", where you just insert a handful of words, and bingo, you have an entertaining story.

My personal suggestion is to reach out to a member of the development team to propose anything that may be in question to you as a contributor. This should help to assure continuity in the storyline, while not revealing spoilers that might otherwise lessen the impact of your contribution.
One of even fewer...
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

I am going to bump this idea b/c I like it a lot. Is there any progress to it? (I hope it is still being worked on, or even considered)

I would like to name some factions cuz I feel like it:
  • Feygard
    The Shadow - Priestly ordinances
    Thieves Guild
    The Shadow - Kazual
Obvious, but they each have their respective reputation, interests, voice, etc., whether they are well known or not.

There could potentially be more major factions:
  • The remaining rich families of Nor City
    The Ichqan
    The Arulir
    BWM (or Prim, depends on who making the monsters)
Voom
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

The faction points system already exists but it is not really used. The main reason I see to it is that we already use a more flexible system in dialogues: the quest system.
Some parts of a "faction" may decide to help you or not depending on whether you did or did not do something (like prim vs bwm). I'm working on allowing this system to be used for monster aggressiveness (and other stuff) by modifying the spawn areas (replace peaceful mobs by aggressive ones with the same sprites).
I've been thinking about ways to use the faction points in an interesting manner but couldn't find one so far that couldn't be done with the quest system.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

I see. A while ago I used to play Allods Online and it had a system of faction reputation. You do enough quests (including redo-able quests) within a particular area or for a specific type of people/race and you gain reputation for that faction only. After a certain amount of accumulated reputation you were allowed to purchase equipment from them and other items that you couldn't have otherwise. You were also allowed to interact with people and go to places that you couldn't before. It could work out the same way for AT. I don't know if it would be too hard to code.

One of the great aspects of AT is the flexibility that you mentioned, but it is a little obstructive to some other ideas considering the vision Oskar has for AT. Despite all of this, I am sure we can be creative enough as a community to come up with dimensions that bolster this flexibility. I believe that Oskar intended the fluid nature of the AT plot to be what makes it so adventurous for the player. In this spirit, we can always come up with ideas that do not contradict.
Voom
CamK38930
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by CamK38930 »

PLEASE!