v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Problem in Attack Mechanism Structure

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Zurls
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Problem in Attack Mechanism Structure

Post by Zurls »

First off, I can't say how much I am enjoying this game! I've played several others (most recently I was a big Parallel Kingdom fan until the lead dev ruined it and it began hemorrhaging players). Since downloading it I have yet to go a day with out playing, and usually find I have lost several hours at a shot playing it. Nice going!!

My big pet peeve in any game is my time being wasted. Thankfully AT doesn't have traps/webs/spells to hold you immobile (some in PK lasted 30 seconds of just sitting there). But there is one aspect of AT that has been driving me crazy, and that is the mechanics of combat - which is the single most repeated aspect in the game. I can attack at whatever rate I can tap each out. Unfortunately I need to wait a s e a c h a t t a c k i s m a d e b y a m o n s t e r a t t h a t s e t p a c e. Here is how this gameplay feels:

I attack! I attack!
M o n s t e r a t t a c k s . . .
M o n s t e r a t t a c k s . . .
I attack! I attack!
M o n s t e r (etc.)

This is, simply put, boring. Not hard or complex - I enjoy both hard and complex aspec ts in this game. It is just boring. It is compounded when two monsters are side by side, which seems to have been very poorly thought out. In this scenario I wait, not two excruciating long attacks per round, but four unending turns. The attack mechanism is so bad in fact that I have gotten quite good at checking my Facebook account while simply tapping on the appropriate place on the game and looking over every so often. So it quite literally makes me do something else than play the game when it happens.

Which then brings me to the lord god bufu of boring in the game, the bewilderingly boring-to-attack Allaceph & Vaeregh. Not only do they have the same cripplingly boring attack mechanism, but since they regenerate regularly you may have to sit through 4X the boring!! And as there are numerous places where these are placed side by side, I can not only check Facebook, but also my email and STILL come back to be bored!

For a game this fantastic I can't imagine that there isn't a way to fix this. Right off the bat, by reducing the amount of time between each pre-set attack, 50% of this problem vanishes.

I would like to also suggest a change in how the monster-side-by-side combat is handled. Rather than an attack round running:
Monster 1 attack
Monster 1 attack
Monster 2 attack
Monster 2 attack
Me attack monster 1
Me attack monster 1
repeat

What if I attacked each monster as they attacked me:
Monster 1 attack
Monster 1 attack
Me attack monster 1
Me attack monster 1
Monster 2 attack
Monster 2 attack
Me attack monster 2
Me attack monster 2
repeat

Or even:
Monster 1 attack
Monster 1 attack
Me attack monster 1
Monster 2 attack
Monster 2 attack
Me attack monster 2
repeat

What is are the thoughts of the community at large? Has this bothered anyone else? It has honestly made me put down the game and walk away on a number of occasions when I would have otherwise kept playing (particularly the astounding boredom of the Allaceph & Vaeregh).

I would love to hear from others on this.

Thanks!
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Problem in Attack Mechanism Structure

Post by Zukero »

From the game's title screen, go to the preferences and set combat speed to fast or instant. You'll quickly forget you ever waited for a monster to attack ;)
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

yeah like zukero said set the combat speed to instant and then you will not be able to see even the monster's attacks.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Zurls
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Zurls »

Wow! That's the ticket! What a difference. Thanks!