v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

noir city

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Thrimian
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Re: noir city

Post by Thrimian »

Haha. I think I will be making the map and letting someone else populate it.
Thrimian LV:32
HP:56 AP:10/5
AC:201% AD:23-29
ECC:22% CM:2.0
BC:102% DR:5
DanielS
VIP
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by DanielS »

Thrimian wrote:Well DanielS these drawings are rough sketches. When I start to make it in the map editor, I will talk with the dev team so I can incorporate all ideas and make the cut how they need it and want it.
I asked because she mentioned about it here :
Those books that I bought from the Blackmarrow residence in Nor City (...)
and here :
So I went to Nor City myself, and visited many .. interesting people and .. dark corners.
Thrimian

Post by Thrimian »

Yes sir, that's why I will talk to the dev team when I get to start on the map. That way I don't miss anything :D
Thrimian

Post by Thrimian »

Alright. I can get my hands on a computer to start this design process. Just to make sure I have all the details needed I have a few questions that I want to ask. The overall design of this city is going to be reminiscent of Rome in the years of the 14th century.
Questions:
1) buildings that need to be included. I have a massive church with smaller ones dotting the city.I have multiple taverns and shops that will have various items for sale.
2) location! I need to know if the city is supposed to be on the waterfront or be surrounded by mountains.
3) General size of the city. I.e. 4x bigger than fallhaven.
4) Does a sewer system fit in? Big cities did have sewer systems back then and date back as far as ancient Rome.
5) General layout. I have imagined the city have sectors to differentiate between the classes.
6) any other suggestions that would make the city feel more real.

Once I have good answers I will begin designing. Please answer before the beginning of next week.
Lunaticbpsf
android_version: 3.0

Post by Lunaticbpsf »

*I would include a Guard House, seeing that it is a major city. Barracks were standard for the city patrols, and that would give a good opening for a quest involving the guard captain or something of some sort.
*Did you plan to use the Sewer System as a dungeon? I would definitely say that sewers would fit in!
*Cities seldom outlined class differences, but instead that is how the different sections in a city progressed throughout the years. Poor people would live in the country, working for the city folk, rather than being hunted for taxes in town.
Instead, focus on themes; what general purpose do they various areas serve? Market/Trade Area, Crafts, Embassy, Entertainment etc.

Just a few pointers! I'm, however, not in development, so if a developer would bring their veto - pay heed to them!
Ethyr
Lvl 90, XP 13574803, Gold 271808, HP 337, AC 289%, AD 49-60, AP 4/12, ECC -, CM -, BC 151%, DR 4
On Hit 0-3 HP, On Kill 3 HP, Shadow Regen.

RoLS 2, ElyR 1, RoL 2, ChaR 1, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 1, VSH 1, WMC 1, GoW 3

CS 2, QL 10, IF 6, MF 2, DBotS 1, OSP 1, SP 1, LAP 1
Unused 2
Thrimian

Post by Thrimian »

I'm compiling a list of things before drawing out a final draft and I hope I get some things from the dev team. I know that the major cities back then had sections for different classes and it was mostly from what they could afford. There would be lavish houses for the elite, politicians, and high ranking military officers. Then some mediocre houses for the working class, and then rundown houses for the homeless and those workers that cannot afford much due to either low wages and/or family size. The sewers are designed as a dungeon but will also give easier access to other portions of the city (I'm thinking of completing a quest to unlock it). Guardhouse and barracks added. Probably have guardhouses near entrances with a large barracks for their regular militia.
Thank you for the suggestions!
Lunaticbpsf
android_version: 3.0

Post by Lunaticbpsf »

Like I said, the cities were not built in class-outlines. That is only how they progressed. The official buildings were gathered adjecent to one another, but the luxurious or ramshackle houses were paid from civil pocket - not the state.
And, as the city progressed, the wealthy built their estates close to the official buildings and bought up any poorer man's lands in the immediate area.
Stressing: Cities were not built in class sections. They were formed in themes.
I am not saying "don't divide it in class", that is fully acceptable and the right way to go, but take the themes into consideration when doing so :) What occupations would a poor area have, for instance?

Oh, so the sewers would be some kind of underground annex? That's a neat idea!
Ethyr
Lvl 90, XP 13574803, Gold 271808, HP 337, AC 289%, AD 49-60, AP 4/12, ECC -, CM -, BC 151%, DR 4
On Hit 0-3 HP, On Kill 3 HP, Shadow Regen.

RoLS 2, ElyR 1, RoL 2, ChaR 1, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 1, VSH 1, WMC 1, GoW 3

CS 2, QL 10, IF 6, MF 2, DBotS 1, OSP 1, SP 1, LAP 1
Unused 2
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

I imagined the nor city as a dark colored place with a huge church that had a redishdarkened golden colored round rooftop like this
"
"""""
""""""""
""""""""""""
situated near b/w mountains as
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||church||||||||||
making it inaccessible from backside.
it also have more rooms than we have ever seen w/ different activities going on.
and there is no politicians.peoples settle their business themselves while sometimes seeking help from priests .
while,according to rumors, there is a chapel like place but not really chapel where shadow lurks and even feygaurd royal family members are visiting this place to see the shadow.
and there must be no barracks or militry institutions going on in public because nor city peoples are following a gorrilla war technique so if they have gaurd barracks going on openly the may get directly attacked by feygaurd.instead they built a huge wall around the city for protection and residents duties in it turnwise for good exchange with other peoples of city.while priests are making necromancy to work for them and making peoples stronger who are following shadow.
this city also have a big library in which some books might be available to study.
this city have homes in which only womans(wives) are left because their husbands were killed or sent to prison by feygaurd as they were they were trying to run away from the extra work for the less amount of money.

ah!*sighs*, hope this will help you to build a good nor city thrimian.

a note to moderators: can you please change the name of the topic to nor city map development from noir city :).
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Thrimian

Post by Thrimian »

Always a huge help ace! But I believe Nor City would still have an active guard to be a policing force within the city as well as put up a facade to show that their soldiers are only within the city and not commuting crimes against feyguard. It's politics mostly. Hopefully we can get some devs to hit up the thread and give me what they invision.
Thrimian

Post by Thrimian »

Just begun graphing out the city. I'm setting the overall size of the city and the surrounding area. The following is a compiled list of the suggestions thus far:
1) The city is surrounded by mountains. (Found this in existing posts)
2) there will be a sewer system connecting various parts of the city.
3) a cathedral dedicated to the ashadow will be a monument to the city.
4) guardhouses and a barracks will be present albeit still unknown who will inhabitant them.
5) being situated in a valley with mountains surrounding the city I believe there should be mines. A major resource and trading good area this will actactually be inhabitated but may have uninhabited areas.
6) multiple different shops will be present. Two different types available. Cheaper shops will be readily accessible upon entry into the city with much more expensive shops will be in a "rich" district.
7) a large town hall will be the centerpiece of the "rich" district.

These are the ideas I have atm. Anymore ideas are welcome and appreciated!