v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

"I think the game could use more _______"

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: "I think the game could use more _______"

Post by twirlimp »

Tomcat wrote:There are precedents for both retrieving ammo (Nethack) and not (Diablo series). Note that the former is purely turn-based, however, and while I never minded fetching arrows (minus random breakage) in Nethack, the timer in AT might make that more problematic.
Yeah I am definitely against picking up ammo from the ground, but giving them as loot could be fine (since it has auto-pickup).

However I am starting to think about people that would exploit ranged weaponry, such as for example sniping behind a fence or up/down a mountain.

The obvious solution would be to only allow attacking if the path is clear, but if it's not a straight line (diagonals) then the calculation would get hard. Very annoying.

We can have the mobs run away if they're being sniped with no time to reach the player, or we can have a heavy accuracy penalty for shooting across impassable terrain.

Even if we make players pickup ammo manually to discourage sniping, they'd just keep sniping till the spot clears then pickup the ammo.

That ^ kind of problem is why it'll be some time before ranged weaponry reaches AT.
ideas plox
Lady Drager
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by Lady Drager »

Well I did suggest it as monster drops for a reason. There should be a percentage on it though. One that only applies when using a weapon that requires (or is) ammunition. This way it accounts for retrieval for both missed shots and shots where the ammo can be pulled from the body. You'd still have to walk over the three item sacks on the floor though.
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Growler »

Would love for there to be Ranged Weapons in this game, tho how to implement seems quite challenging and unlikely any time soon. A relatively easy way to implement would be (for starters) to treat 'ranged' weapons basically as non-ranged weapons (initially with unlimited 'charges/uses/ammo' -- could make very expensive &/or limited damage/specs) .. then add increasingly rangy features along the way.

But at least get the ball rolling.. and maybe (again, initially) treat 'ranged' weapons like 2-handed weapons..so no Dual-Wielding.. tho way down the practical road..could add some super-skill to allow for such. Say, learn/earn the right to dual-wield cross-bow pistols or 20' Bullwhips! 8-)

Hey, one can always [dream]dream..[/dream]
*hitz snooze once again*
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Actually, we have been down the ranged weapon road before. I believe twirlimp has done the most developmental progress as far as ranged weapons are concerned. Check this thread out: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5438&hilit=ranged+weapons
Voom
Growler

Post by Growler »

Thanks, Voom -- will check it out.
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Urbain
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Urbain »

Parrying daggers like a Main Gauche, Marrozo, or Sail Dagger. It's not something that would deal a lot of damage but does increase BC and maybe even has a chance to negatively influence an attacker's AP, sort of like binding the attacker's weapon or putting them off step.
Andor's Trail on a Samsung Galaxy Tab4
Lady Drager
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by Lady Drager »

Can we give it a chance to disarm an opponent?
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Parrying is just more of the same. Increase your BC and your chance of getting hit goes down. I think a parry can also mean a counterattack, so in that case it would def provide more depth to combat.

Most opponents don't have weapons so disarming them would mean arms and legs.
Voom
Growler

Post by Growler »

Voom wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 am Most opponents don't have weapons so disarming them would mean arms and legs.
Yikes..you mean Literal Dis-arming (or dis-legging)! :shock:

Could also mean dis-teething or dis-tailing (especially if tail is spiky & swings dangerously in your direction).
Dis-firing (dragon).
Dis-clawing.
Dis-smelling (skunk).
Dis-stinging.
??
~~~
Urbain
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Urbain »

Voom wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 am Parrying is just more of the same. Increase your BC and your chance of getting hit goes down. I think a parry can also mean a counterattack, so in that case it would def provide more depth to combat.

Most opponents don't have weapons so disarming them would mean arms and legs.
Yep, a parry can also mean a counter attack. So maybe the AP penalty to the opponent could be a bit of something ;)
Andor's Trail on a Samsung Galaxy Tab4