v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

"I think the game could use more _______"

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: "I think the game could use more _______"

Post by ace »

Lady Drager wrote:I think it would make the game too easy.
Don't worry, there are always disadvantages to add.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

Lady Drager wrote:I think it would make the game too easy.
In the experimental version that I made, I had ranged weaponry cause the "exposed" status effect that would lower defense/evasion.

I think that's a fair disadvantage, and we could also make movement slower as well so enemies can catch up (although that would require a new status effect).
ideas plox
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

A historic weakness of archers was that they had relatively poor defense once their attackers closed to hand to hand range. I.e. you just can't shoot a longbow while wearing plate mail.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Lady Drager
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by Lady Drager »

Tomcat wrote:A historic weakness of archers was that they had relatively poor defense once their attackers closed to hand to hand range. I.e. you just can't shoot a longbow while wearing plate mail.
Agreed. I'm a real life archer. Been shooting a bow since I was 4 when my Dad first brought me to the range. If you're an archer, you can't dual wield, and you can't actually use a bow as a melee weapon like Oliver Queen does. It's bad for the bow. Thus the draw back is built in. You would have to go into your inventory, change weapons, then fight. So adding archery to the game is a good idea. But the most logical drawback with throwing blades, is having to get them back. Thus, you'd have to have quite a few in your inventory to begin with, which would become very expensive. You'd get some back in the monster's item drops (assuming we could make the monsters drop them only if you use them to fight), which would be the ones you were able to retrieve. But you'd still lose a lot of them... especially in places like the Green Maze and the road to Remgard. In melee combat, they would work the same as the daggers do already, but as a ranged weapon, the price of daggers is too high for the amount lost. I wouldn't make the investment... however, that having been said, we could make boomerangs, which return to you when thrown. We could also make magical throwing weapons (chakrum, shuriken, stilettos, knives and daggers) that return as part of their magical effect... better if they had a chance of failure. For example: Nina's Shadow Claw will return 70% of the time against a Gormaud, but only a 20% chance to return against a dragon. Because dragons have tougher hides and the blade may get lodged in there.
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
Firefly84
android_version: 8.0

Post by Firefly84 »

I just had the idea of a legendary dagger with an AP-penalty but Cleave level 1 and AP-Break during a fight.
Or instead the penalty no escape from battles.
It could be compared to DotSP, but most effectively to mobs.

I have a cold - so my grammar might be a bit foggy.
Firefly
Lvl: 114, PV: 497, FQ: 63
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, HoF: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 4, SRoV: 6, VSH: 3, WMC: 1, GoW: 1, BD: 1
DP: 0, X: 0, M: 1, BoGt: 1, SotA: 0, RofLS: 1
HP: 505, AC: 262, AD: 89-105, AP: 4 each, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 156, DR: 4
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

[dream]Personally I'd like to get my hands on a 2nd DotSP for dual wielding.[/dream]
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Firefly84
android_version: 8.0

Post by Firefly84 »

I am using RoL and DotSP for Dual wielding.
With the right stats the Cleave aspect would make the dagger very interesting to fight your way to Lodar.
Firefly
Lvl: 114, PV: 497, FQ: 63
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, HoF: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 4, SRoV: 6, VSH: 3, WMC: 1, GoW: 1, BD: 1
DP: 0, X: 0, M: 1, BoGt: 1, SotA: 0, RofLS: 1
HP: 505, AC: 262, AD: 89-105, AP: 4 each, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 156, DR: 4
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

Well, I'm not dual wielding yet. I'm waiting for my next skill point to bring the skill up to 2 first. But I have a Sharp Steel Dagger in Vacor's... I mean, MY hideout for when that happens. I wish I could customize the hideout. It seriously needs a woman's touch! :lol:
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

Lady Drager wrote:
Tomcat wrote:A historic weakness of archers was that they had relatively poor defense once their attackers closed to hand to hand range. I.e. you just can't shoot a longbow while wearing plate mail.
Agreed. I'm a real life archer. Been shooting a bow since I was 4 when my Dad first brought me to the range. If you're an archer, you can't dual wield, and you can't actually use a bow as a melee weapon like Oliver Queen does. It's bad for the bow. Thus the draw back is built in. You would have to go into your inventory, change weapons, then fight. So adding archery to the game is a good idea. But the most logical drawback with throwing blades, is having to get them back. Thus, you'd have to have quite a few in your inventory to begin with, which would become very expensive. You'd get some back in the monster's item drops (assuming we could make the monsters drop them only if you use them to fight), which would be the ones you were able to retrieve. But you'd still lose a lot of them... especially in places like the Green Maze and the road to Remgard. In melee combat, they would work the same as the daggers do already, but as a ranged weapon, the price of daggers is too high for the amount lost. I wouldn't make the investment... however, that having been said, we could make boomerangs, which return to you when thrown. We could also make magical throwing weapons (chakrum, shuriken, stilettos, knives and daggers) that return as part of their magical effect... better if they had a chance of failure. For example: Nina's Shadow Claw will return 70% of the time against a Gormaud, but only a 20% chance to return against a dragon. Because dragons have tougher hides and the blade may get lodged in there.
Ammo is definitely realistic, but if you have to jump around the map to fetch ammo then that makes the game much less "fun".

However maybe the ammo is returned as loot when a monster dies -- but only attacks that missed (or didn't miss).

A) If you can retrieve missed ammo, then earlier levels are not expensive even though you have low accuracy.

B) However if you can retrieve only successful attacks then it would be very expensive at early levels, whereas higher level characters have 0 ammo costs.

I think A is best since it seems to balance early-level with late-game as the costs are similar (but early levels need more extra ammo reserves for longer battles when they can't retrieve from loot).

I'm personally against ammo for ranged weaponry AT ALL, but in this game it might be necessary for balance.

As for magical weaponry I honestly don't know, maybe use health as mana for balance? We'll discuss it when we get there :P

As for dual-wielding, it's not realistic but commonly shown in video games, I don't see what's the harm in including it (as long as it uses double ammo and has the usual off-hand reductions).
ideas plox
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

There are precedents for both retrieving ammo (Nethack) and not (Diablo series). Note that the former is purely turn-based, however, and while I never minded fetching arrows (minus random breakage) in Nethack, the timer in AT might make that more problematic.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6