v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Micro-Quests -- Be the Hero (rinse, repeat)

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Micro-Quests -- Be the Hero (rinse, repeat)

Post by Growler »

Howdy, Heroes & Heroines & Her'others!

Enjoying this game far too much for my own good = sanity.
But such is the D&D (dark & dangerous) path we here-ohz choose.
Or perhaps the path chooses up, like the abyss staring back into our shattered minds.

Been enjoying reading (ok, lurking) thru the many informative, insightful & crafty-amusing posts here.
Wish I could add to this body of excellence, but a Growler's job veers more towards chaos than helpful/structural support. At least that's what they taught us in the young-cub growler's academy.

To the point.
What about more micro-quests scattered throughout the game?
And by 'micro' I really mean nano, perhaps even pico -quests.

In fact, not even 'quests' per se, but more like jauntily strolling along..and Bam!
Hey, there's a Damsel-in-Distressed Jeans!
(no, Not suggesting any jeans get completely torn off..sigh).
..Wait, what is the rating for this game??
Nevermind.
But more micro-events scattered about.. ones that could be easily repeatable or adaptable + re-spawnable.

Ex: Say you're walking along, slicing & dicing the usual slender serpent, rabid rabbit, revolting raccoon, sleepy sheep--what have ye, and you see a NPC standing in a middle of a pack of wolves..perhaps you kill one just to get to the person, then dialog with them:
You: Howdy there, NPC! How goeth life in distressed jeans?
NPC (old guy, smelly, hence the flies buzzing round): Eh? What's that?
You (holding nose with clothespin, thus uber-nasal voice): No time for chatter. Need some help with these wolves?
NPC (hobbling & bobbling, scratching in PG-17 environs): No, wouldn't care for any smelt!
You (shaking your head, feeling itchy-twitchy as Grandma usta say): OMG. What are my Options, game-script?!?
*voila*
Options:
1) Walk away & seek nearest shower + delousing powder
2) Help the old guy out in spite of his stinky recalcitrance & slay the nearby threatening wolves

If choose 1) You get whatever Gold the old guy had -- collected after wolves & vultures finish (shouldn't take long, a couple rounds of game-time)
2) You get his utter indifference, but 500 XP

Gold & XP would be generally modest, but commensurate to the area & threat-level/difficulty of killing the monsters.

Could come up with several basic generic situations (old guy or lady trying to cross street scenario, damsel in distress, kid who wandered too far from home, etc), tweak them for difficulty level and scatter throughout the game. They could periodically re-spawn in same or semi-random spot (tho within a general region, so dif-lev would match), but not so fast to warrant sticking around to grind same micro-quest.

Would be fun & compelling to engage in more of these type transactions--especially out in the wilds. Along lines of the 2 (maybe more?) 'travelers' who try to shake you down for Gold, so get option to pay their price or fight for life!

Amazing & very robust game.. hearty Thanks to all who have contributed to it!
Hope development continues!
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Micro-Quests -- Be the Hero (rinse, repeat)

Post by rijackson741 »

Howdy, Growler, and welcome to the forums.

Adding some microevents is a good idea. As the game engine stood in 0.7.1 (i.e. the last release) repeatable quests were not possible, but they are now. In fact, there is one ready for the next release, and it could, in a sense, be considered a series of microevents. I would like to add more content like this, but I don't think we will get to it for the next release. At this point the intended content for the next release has been frozen. That's necessary, because otherwise the next release will never happen :lol:
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Yet another reason to add some randomized decision-making in the scripting system.
Good idea Growler. Not easy to add, but certainly doable and desirable. The future holds many promises.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Growler

Post by Growler »

Thanks for both your responses.
Realize it's Much easier to toss out general~vague ideas than to actually do the hard work of precise content creation, the proper logic, and the coding..perhaps even more when there's already a ton of code and trying to implement new things that may Sound simple, but could be difficult to implement even without risk of breaking other parts of the code.

I've played a lot of hours now (just hit level 40 & got (4) attacks! ;) and completed..wow, 26! quests) and astounding how well the game functions..no freezes or shutdowns or any obvious errors -- only issue encountered is I cant seem to complete the basic Loneford quest..cant get any options from Buceth? -- but sure it's because I've missed something or maybe responded wrong along the way.

So it's amazingly robust -- especially to be played on my older, low-end phone with only 512 megs Ram (mostly used by system, etc); but maybe sans music or video, it's not too hard to fit an old-school RPG into less than (I'm guessing) 50 megs?
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

What is the last entry in your questlog for "Flows through the veins"?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Growler

Post by Growler »

It's "Talion, the chapel priest in Loneford, thinks that the illness is the work of the Shadow, as punishment for Loneford's lack of devotion to the Shadow."

Have gone back 3 times (heard there was a much-needed 15k exp payoff for completion) & tried to talk to everyone I could find in & around Loneford..but no doubt I've just missed someone, or maybe answered wrong to someone?
~~~
Growler

Post by Growler »

Okay, just went back again and answered differently and turns out that Taevinn sent me along to Landa.. so back on the trail! (user error strikes again!)
~~~