Food for thought... - Vol 2

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Fallhaven Sentinel
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Food for thought... - Vol 2

Post by Fallhaven Sentinel »

There's already a thread on this topic but it's literally ANCIENT so let's start over.

(Here's the old thread on food: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2096 )

We started talking about some things in a thread where it was off-topic and continued some on Discord, I'll post some selected quotes. Add your thoughts!
Fallhaven Sentinel wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:43 am
CUCHULAINN3 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:29 am
Fallhaven Sentinel wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:51 am
!!
Make some monsters somewhere actually drop loaves of bread, I'd love that. :mrgreen:
↑↑this is why you need farming for wheat or atleast hit a random patch and it gives you bread (a ticker like every so many seconds (could be every 45k seconds)
I got an evil thought. You know who would actually drop loaves of bread? Innocent merchants at the market. Innocent civilians. ... They're always getting in my way when I try to run around town and mind my own business!! Especially those drunks in the taverns!! ... Okay I'm off-topic, sorry. ... pssst add more highwaymen and make them drop better loot than a bottle of mead and a torn shirt...
Fallhaven Sentinel wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Tomcat wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Fallhaven Sentinel wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:51 am
!!
Make some monsters somewhere actually drop loaves of bread, I'd love that. :mrgreen:
As soon as we add the Evil Bakers' Guild.
WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA, YOU'RE A GENIUS. EVIL BAKERS' GUILD IT IS. :!: :!: :!:
Maybe they've got something more sustaining than simple bread. Somewhere past level 40 I ate less bread and more raw meat/raw perch/edible claws/whatever, since they piled up anyway and were more sustaining and I had a stack of antidotes, etc. Some fancy pastries would be nice, next... But who knows what strange things the "evil bakers" would put in their stuff...
rijackson741 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 pm A bakery is an interesting idea. We don't have a bakery. Obviously bread would be available, but also pies, pastries, cake.
CUCHULAINN3 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:37 pm ... Not saying every tile drops it but certain ones. Or Berries from bushes in the way.
... you would find berries. By exploring an area you would get hungry and want to eat (no I'm not asking for a hunger bar to be added) but a means to boost your health as you travel. Even if it's just 10 hp or so
rijackson741 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 pm Perhaps, if we put a very long timer on it, so that you can't keep harvesting food.
(from Discord: )

Fallhaven Sentinel Yesterday at 3:19 PM
Suggestion: more highwaymen.
I imagine that further on the roads to Feygard and Nor City there really should be more highwaymen, maybe whole gangs. With better loot.
... I just want someone to drop bread.
And attacking innocent civilians is "immoral" or something. So, rob robbers.

---

nut Today at 1:10 AM
Nice idea. Here and there you could find something to eat already, e.g. strawberries if I remember it right.
But these things would be found only 1 time each.
Maybe we find a place for berries or mushrooms with 'refill'. But it would be hard work to find them, they'd be rare...

tomcat Today at 1:23 AM
Yes, berries and mushrooms are perfectly good finds out in the wilderness. We already have places to find bread - they're called taverns. All you need is a little gold, and they refill themselves regularly.
But human mobs that drop a small stash of food when you kill them would make perfect sense, too.

---

T-rex2298 Today at 2:14 AM
Make sure they are poisonous mushrooms though :grin:

tomcat Today at 2:15 AM
Lol

CUCHULAINN3 Today at 2:23 AM
@T-rex2298 or magic shrooms lol. Like the npc Rob I think he partook in them

Fallhaven Sentinel Today at 4:31 AM
Shrooms! :mushroom: 10% chance of Seeing Things. You fight a mob but don't get any xp/loot because the mob wasn't real.......

---

Fallhaven Sentinel Today at 6:35 AM
... I'm on board with accidentally finding wild berries and shrooms here and there (though they should probably be in some 'logical' places, not on the road or rocks). Finding ready-baked bread on a wheat field isn't so logical, if you think about it.
I know there's some regular Shrooms and Strawberries(?) for sale by some merchants, but I imagine all wild stuff should just be called "wild shrooms"/"wild berries" because our hero isn't always smart enough to know what he's picking up and the stuff may or may not have unexpected side-effects. 😅

tomcat Today at 6:42 AM
I like that, like the difference between raw and cooked meat: separate price and inventory spot, different effects.
Wild berries could simply have a range of sustenance value, from a lot less than farmed, to just a bit more

tomcat Today at 6:43 AM
Wild mushrooms could have chance of sustenance, chance of poison, chance of Dazed, chance of Confusion, etc
I'm not against finding wild food
Just against getting a recurring shot at free farm produce and baked goods. That's what shops are for

---

Fallhaven Sentinel Today at 6:50 AM
On higher levels players might get too confident roaming around in areas with 'easy' monsters (that's what I felt like running around in Charwood earlier), scavenging and eating "interesting" food might keep us on our toes. 😄
~x
Urbain
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Food for thought... - Vol 2

Post by Urbain »

This makes beautiful sense on so many levels! Savoury pies were taken by farm workers out into the fields as a good lunch option, travelers took them on their journeys, and even today you can buy a nice hand-held pie for lunch (or if you're like me, make them). Pies made from wild harvested berries are definitely a thing... we have loads of blackberries around here where you have to get to the good spots before anyone else otherwise no pies!

Just think, take your raw meats and stuff into the Evil Bakery™, pay a few coin, and voila! Pies for every energy generation occasion. My characters salivate at the mere idea of it.

Maybe different areas have different ingredients not just based on the monsters but geographical locations. Up in the mountains, down by the river, on the lake shore, in caves, or out in the farmer's fields (you were into farmer Maggots crops again!). Maybe some places you don't want to be caught picking things... the king's forest is no place to hunt lest ye be arrested. So much potential!
Andor's Trail on a Samsung Galaxy Tab4
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

There have been discussions in the past about being able to bring your raw meat into a shop and have it cooked for a fee. It hasn't happened for various reasons, including lower priority than adding new content This would be a similar idea - interesting but may not be top of the queue. Unless we get some new folks helping the dev team, perhaps ;)
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

We can only convert one item to another easily via a dialogue, and then only for one specific item to another specific item (which is why you can only enhance a few items in Remgard). Changing an NPC droplist is possible, but it requires some trickery. The more versions of a droplist required, the more trickery, so it can get kind of messy. This is why we will never have real crafting. That would require some big changes to the game engine, and we don't think the time spent on that would be worth it.

I put a bakery on my todo list, but I don't know where or when it will appear.

I'm open to the idea of wild food, but only in a limited number of places, and on a long timer (so that you can't just go between multiple places building up food for free).
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

It's funny that my snarky Evil Baker's Guild comment has taken on a life of its own in a different direction.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

While we're at it, let's build a meat market too. :?
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Fallhaven Sentinel
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Fallhaven Sentinel »

Getting antidotes from that one potion-maker is pretty much like crafting, isn't it?
Antison wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm While we're at it, let's build a meat market too. :?
We've already got the snake cave. :lol: And that one guy in Stoutford who sells food that lasts a long while or has already lasted a long while, he had some, er, interesting goat meat.

(I sense this wasn't a serious suggestion but I don't understand what you really mean.)
Tomcat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:03 pm It's funny that my snarky Evil Baker's Guild comment has taken on a life of its own in a different direction.
We can have both a bakery and Evil Bakers as mobs! (Theoretically. Sadly I can't help, much. Earlier I tried seeing what I could do with the ATCS but I couldn't get it to work, I'll have to try again some other time when I have proper internet and don't have to count every megabyte and gigabyte I use. That'll take a while.)
~x
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

You don't have to create whole projects to help
Also ideas, maps, ... or above all dialogues and/or quest lines are very appreciated.
Nut
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Sarcasm is hide to read online. I think both ideas are really rather silly.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Antison wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:12 pm Sarcasm is hide to read online. I think both ideas are really rather silly.
Why? When we do Feygard and Nor City we will need a lot of types of shops. A baker seems like an obvious choice to me. Maybe even a meat market, in a district lit by red lanterns :lol:

I am not particularly for or against food that you can just find, except that I would be very against it if such food is so easy to get that it is anything more than a curiosity of the world, such as the other odd things you can find here and there.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1