v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Andor's Trail Project Meeting #43

Official news about Andor's Trail.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Andor's Trail Project Meeting #43

Post by fiernaq »

What if Luck were a decaying stat? In other words, all players would have a base luck of 100 which would basically equal current drop rates. Then, using these wishing wells and holy fountains would increase your luck based on the amount of gold you deposit (up to a slightly randomized cap per well/fountain) so for example you could wind up with 110 luck (110% drop rate) but with a drop rate of 1 luck per X rounds you'd wind up back at 100 again until you used another well/fountain.

You could then also make MF affect your base luck - meaning that wells/fountains would have decreased benefit to you but you would have permanently boosted luck rather than temporary.

PS: if Luck were a stat, it should be an invisible stat. None of this "min/maxing" since you're effectively guessing based off of your current drop rate. Also, wells/fountains should only be usable once until the effect they give you fades away. This makes it so you have to guess how much gold to put in. Too much and you went over the cap and effectively threw gold away (although you do get max luck boost) but too little and you're stuck with a smaller benefit until it wears off and since luck is invisible, it would be difficult to tell when you actually did hit the cap.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
sorrow
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by sorrow »

The only problem with that fiernaq is how would we know how much total luck we have?

I do like the idea of mf adding to luck. With a little bit of tweaking on that idea:
•treasure hunter: increase luck by xx
•magic finder: increase luck by xxx. Need xxx skills in treasure hunter

Sorrow
Lvl:80 XP:9214038 Gold:1mil Hp:243 AC:301 Ad:28-49 Ch:21 Cm:2.0 Ecc:15 BC:148 Dr:3

skills:
WA:2. HH:2. CS:2. TH:2 QL:2 IF:2 REG:2 MF:5 DBS:1 2HSP:1 LAP:2 HAP:1 SREG:1
L/E
CHAR:1 ROLS:1 ELYR:1 GOLF:1 SHAF: 1
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Zukero wrote:@Oet : Oskar wasn't here to give his opinion, but IIRC, the team favored the idea of a wishing well (throw coins in, in hope of some blessing) over a potion. As for the effects, nothing was set in stone. We keep this in a corner of our head, and try to think about it further. I (personaly) would favor a global luck (or as Scott puts it, luck would become almost like a base stat), that can impact all the dice rolls in the game engine.
Also, please try to keep in mind that Oskar started Andor's Trail after searching for a good open-source RPG that he could play to relax, and possibly contribute some code to, and not having found one. I imagine that if I were in this position, the addition of new elements would be considered with the original fundamental in mind.

The suggestion of introducing wells and fountains to extend the benefit of Magic Finder (especially to those who haven't chosen this skill, or had the opportunity to level it up to their satisfaction) was, as previously mentioned, to help serve two purposes. While it could work in tandem with Luck, should Luck be introduced into the equation, please consider that the conversation held was partially to discuss enhancements to what already exists, and the consideration for the introduction of what currently doesn't, and how to do the best job of both. I'm mostly attempting to convey that a majority of what new content that appears in a following release may very well be something that the forum community never had any knowledge of, and therefore, had no opportunity to weigh in on.

The raw concept is usually what is up for discussion in these meetings, and if found to be favorable, the details that comprise them are more often than not, worked out internally. This usually gets reviewed again in the future at some point, but both decisions are to support the ever changing virtual world of Andor's Trail.

A question to possibly ask yourself prior to considering your post here, might be "does my idea, suggestion, or feedback, relate closely enough to the content being discussed and considered for addition, or is it better suited as its own post under 'Ideas and future development'?" Not to be unkind with proposing such a suggestion, but in reality, this is not a venue for perpetuating the open source development aspect, but more so for attempting to finalize stages of it, while offering a greater depth of transparency in the process.

What I've stated here is simply an expression of past observations and current understanding, and acknowledge that I may be entirely alone in my views.
One of even fewer...
r0tt3nj4ck
android_version: 4.3

Post by r0tt3nj4ck »

^ heavy

But correct. If this was my baby. I would want to have given birth by now.

I suggest the next change to andor's trail be to add in a handful of unique items awarded to the players who contributed the most to getting andor's trail to version 1.0.

XD
Click me for a look at my gift to the Andor's Trail Community...
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Well, I hope it wasn't too heavy, as the term can be applied to depressing, as well as slang for deep, and informative.

There's only so much that's appropriate to address or bring up here, but I sincerely would enjoy, as well as find it productive, to be able to dedicate a portion of each meeting to creative thinking that would be applied towards the detailing of history, lore, backstory, legend, the main storyline, primary and side quests, defining the world map, etc., etc.

It's true that we each only have so much spare time to allocate to our own individual contributions, and our meetings are tailored to address the basics (along with new content that originates from the forum community), but we also get sidelined on occasion with the more unpleasant "business" side of things in the process.

I can appreciate someone wanting to have different specifications for a particular skill, equipable items, and consumables, but a great deal of time already gets dedicated to this. Such things are re-evaluated upon game changing new content being introduced.

The majority of what I read about is very heavy on the mathematical values, and debate regarding what a new item should have, as opposed to what it does have. Based on this alone, one could easily draw the conclusion that the players who are taking the time to contribute their feedback are essentially more concerned with what new or adjusted weapon, armor, other equipable item, or consumable they would like to enter the gargoyle cave/cavern with, than to have new locations to travel to and explore. It is this focus of feedback that I personally feel perpetuates a cycle that hinders the type of progress that I would like to see more of.

What speaks to me and suggests that a particular individual is interested in contributing to Andor's Trail is the one who inquires about how to help, rather than just post an interesting idea. On that note, please delay in offering up any questions that may be specifically related to contributing, as the "Contributing to Andor's Trail" guide is approaching its final stages. It will be by way of this guide that a majority of opportunities will be addressed.

As for anything that you, the reader, may have felt I was expressing in a manner reflecting discouragement, allow me to reassure you that I have nothing but hope and encouragement regarding, especially with all of the new and positive changes that have already begun in this new year. :)
One of even fewer...
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I like the idea of the wishing wells (with a temporary, but long lasting, effect). It would add more variety to the game than just another potion.

Luck as a base (global) stat would be an interesting addition too :)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

rijackson741 wrote:I like the idea of the wishing wells (with a temporary, but long lasting, effect). It would add more variety to the game than just another potion.

Luck as a base (global) stat would be an interesting addition too :)
I think it would be great to have enough time in the next meeting to discuss these things more in depth. Having the addition of something such as "Luck" just seems natural. Even if an individual has no belief in luck in real life (like me), it can also be viewed as something natural and real, such as the law of probability. I don't think it would be necessary to get specific with code to account for real life probability for every applicable thing it could be applied to, but I believe it should be fairly easy to agree on a determining system that could also be slightly boosted at times through "various" methods. ;)

I would love to hear more interesting ideas on these things, but I don't want to build up anyone's hopes with such discussion until the basic ideas can receive feedback from the usual meeting attendees. It's difficult for me at times to exercise proper restraint in not writing about all of the interesting and exciting elements (at least to me) that the game is evolving into being able to accommodate. :)
One of even fewer...
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

The majority of what I read about is very heavy on the mathematical values, and debate regarding what a new item should have, as opposed to what it does have. Based on this alone, one could easily draw the conclusion that the players who are taking the time to contribute their feedback are essentially more concerned with what new or adjusted weapon, armor, other equipable item, or consumable they would like to enter the gargoyle cave/cavern with, than to have new locations to travel to and explore. It is this focus of feedback that I personally feel perpetuates a cycle that hinders the type of progress that I would like to see more of.
That's why I can't spend more than 10 minutes on the forum anymore before I get depressed.

And I feel you on saying everyone just want the next best weapon, and the next hardest enemy to slay. Nobody wants to make ideas for the lower levels, adding quests and dialogue (I'll admit I have been guilty of this back in the past)... I mean really... there is STILL no form of tutorial. So many people play for two minutes, are ridiculously confused and go ,"forget" this, and uninstall. It's like making the first 20 pages of a book a bunch of questions asking the reader about the book they haven't read yet.

It's all about the next best skill, weapon, and enemy, and not how we can expand the game itself or refine what we already have to improve it. The game is driven by fan demand and what people are constantly asking for is crazy sometimes. The last good fan demanded addition was the world map, and that was forever ago. Well, the combat log was a good idea but it fell far too short of what I had expected and I find it only gets in the way.

*** Now I know I used the term *everyone* once or twice. Not everyone. There are maybe 15-30 of us who really want to add actual content and improve the game, and not just inbalance it so it is more fun for us. I work very very slowly on my peices I am working on, but I am always doing bits and peices when I get a few minutes.

The results of the last priority poll actually made me contemplate scrapping my work, ditching the forums, and uninstalling the game. It made me genuinely sad and angry. Of course I didn't, but I didn't visit for a while and didn't work on my stuff for a few months.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Oet
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Oet »

PK17, I'm sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry I don't contribute.
Oet:
Lvl:80|XP:9214538|AP:3|HP:291|AC:351%|AD:51-68|CHS:20|CM:0|BC:135%|DR:1
WA:1|HH:1|Do:1|CS:2|CL:1|QL:3|CE:1|IF:6|Reg:1|WP:1S:1|AP:L:1|FS:DW:2|S:DW:1
RoLS:2|ELYR:1

Last updated 22/01-14
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

PK17,

I always enjoy reading posts such as the one you just shared, because it seems to come from the heart, suggests reflection, and honesty, while just offering a hint of concern, of what I would interpret as not wanting to offend the masses that seem to be quick to post something like "Yeah! Cool! Let's do that already!", without seemingly giving proper thought to the whole thing, or consider what may be something of significance that is unknown to them that simply asking a question about might clarify.

As I have mentioned once or twice here and there, I often feel that my views are more in line with the minority. However, that's only taking into account the minority of the players that are also forum members. If you are a developer with a Google Play Store account to distribute your app or game, you will also have access to a dashboard that offers much more detailed information regarding the total number of downloads, who still has it installed, who has deleted it from their device, etc. So, when you compare the actual number of "active" forum members (which is unknown to me, but yet from a slightly informed position, is not accurately accounted for by the listed number of total members), with the total number of players who still have Andor's Trail installed (from the Google Play Store alone), the feedback from the members of this forum is a vast minority in itself.

So, despite my views possibly representing a minority here, I always try to keep in mind and reflect Oskar's vision for the game that he has shared, and refer to the material, memories, and subject matter, that has been previously covered in the Development Team meetings (and in many cases, been decided on) when making my posts. I do try to use the appropriate notations to clarify what is what, such as my opinion, how I feel, what's already is essentially a done deal, and that which might be considered to possibly exist "on the back burner".

Depending on an individual's personality [or personality type(s)], it seems fair to say that many among us are underestimated. My point for bringing this up as a point for consideration is based upon my own personal belief/observation that anyone who has had the opportunity to visit our forum and take in many of the posts found here, has picked up on the inconsistencies and deviance from one post to the next from certain posters that seem to emulate the chameleon (in the sense of being popular by "being all things to everyone").

So, in summary, please be encouraged to live up to, and remain true, to your own beliefs and standards, while continuing to work towards your own contributions without concern of the views and opinions of the majority. Retaining your personal integrity without compromise in order to please the masses is what makes you unique, and truly an individual.

Quality over quantity. ;)
One of even fewer...