Alpha test v0.6.10

Discussions of the development process of the game.
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Alpha test v0.6.10

Post by ctnbeh13 »

tek,

Thank you for your reply. It's always helpful to have the "details" in working towards a resolve. Knowing that you didn't have the virtual D-pad enabled is significant also. I am familiar with the Droid X. It's still a good device with a nice "Gorilla Glass" screen. If my speculation is correct, you have Verizon and probably received an OTA OS update to something like 2.3.3 within the last month? Motorola devices that incorporated their MotoBlur UI have a slightly diminished display responsiveness to them that has improved with recent releases, which you probably received in your OTA. That is, if your device uses it. I can't remember at the moment. Anyway, I was just on a roll there, and I apologize. I've just recently woken from a very brief period of sleep. MotoBlur "shouldn't" be a player in your scenario. I'm definitely not arguing against this being a bug. I mostly wanted to establish ruling out some of the initial factors when troubleshooting, hence all the questions. Anything that runs on an OS usually has a wide gambit of variables that can play a role in performance misbehavior. Thank you for the update and your patience. :)
One of even fewer...
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

tek,

By the way, if you like the Droid X, are nearing a contract renewal, and have been considering the Droid Bionic, you may be interested in the new Droid RAZR. The case is constructed from KEVLAR, but I doubt it would stop a bullet. You can check it out here: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN ... c_ev=click
One of even fewer...
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

ctnbeh13 wrote:Samuel,

By any chance, would you care to elaborate for the sake of what is now "Beta test v0.6.10"? Did you also experience this once, twice, etc.? Did you also have "Avoiding obstacles" selected for your movement method? Were you using the virtual D-pad at the time of your occurrence(s)? Multiple input devices on a PC, such as a Wacom drawing tablet, keyboard, and mouse have conflicted on the software side in personally witnessed occurrences, that resulted in the cursor moving off in one direction or another, without any user input or influence. Does, or did your character wonder off in the same direction each time (if this occurred for you more than once)?

You seem to have made an assessment that the touch screen is not the issue. If I understand correctly, you are a capable programmer. Was your conclusion based on discovered errors, or possible conflicts in code?

It's truly not my intention to grill you here, but I'm just trying to help establish relevant details that are part of the process of elimination that will assist the group, who I like to believe is working together with a little more momentum now, towards working this out of the beta stage.
I am pretty sure it is a bug. D-Pad should not be affected.
I partly introduced the new code. :? That made me so sure about it.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce it.
It happens really seldom, so I think it has low priority.

IMO the fluent combat should have more priority: (here I have a samsung galaxy s i9000 and it's still noticeable)
- before beta2 I experienced no lag
- in beta2 I experienced some lag without optimized drawing
- in beta2 I experienced no lag with optimized drawing
- in beta3 I experienced some lag without optimized drawing
- in beta3 I experienced some lag with optimized drawing

However the lag in beta3 is not as big as the one in beta2. (This is not about the lag when the map changes. This works flawlessly in beta3.)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Gottkaiser

Post by Gottkaiser »

I just have downloaded the new beta and have to say:
Good work guys :D
The time to load new maps is not noticeable any more (at least on my device)
The fight animations are nearly as smooth as before enhancing the game for "small heap memory devices" in beta 2, beta 2 was nearly not enjoyable on my device but beta 3 works good enough to make fun
Thank you all for spending so much time to create this game and to enhance it with every update.
Thank you Samuel for updating the German translation, I should help with that but somehow seem to never have the time to do it :(
I found a few typos in the new actorconditions translation, gonna post them in the related topic
Level: 48, XP: 1968951, Gold: 160450
HP: 80, AC: 240%, AD: 22-26, BC: 65%
AP: 3, CC: 48%, CM: 3.75, DR: 0
RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Samuel,

Thank you for your reply. I knew you contributed code on this, which accounts for part of "my" confusion regarding your post. The limited amount of sleep I've been getting also contributed to a significant degree. Your patience is appreciated.

Based on other projects I've been in the process of wrapping up, I essentially went from v0.6.10a to v0.6.10b3dev. I basically shared with Oskar my game play experience concerning your recent post to have been something similar with "...I proceeded to engage some enemy NPC's. I landed the first attack, taking it out with one hit. The damage was immediately reflected in its HP bar, which remained for a brief period of maybe a second, allowing a perfect display of confirming all attack behavior, and indicating the "deed" was done. There was no lag, nor wondering "what just happened?" If the time frame from when you encounter an enemy and select "Ok" from the dialog window (that shows the NPC's name/title and "Ok", "Info", and "Cancel"), to the time the combat status bar at the top of the screen appears could be tweaked in the same manner as you did to speed up the enemy HP bar hit recognition, I believe the entire combat process would have balance." Does that sound like an accurate description of your experience as well?

I feel that no matter how many times Oskar thanks and compliments all the players, forum members, and contributors, for their comments, questions, feedback, praise, and even complaints, that it cannot be stressed enough that everyone's input is of value. I'm not aware of any current software developer for the Android OS, aside from Google, who has the luxury of affording the expense, time, and maintenance required to test run an app or game on all of the devices available on the market from all the various wireless device manufacturers and carriers. The mainstream development resource primarily used by all developers is the emulator. With all the proprietary apps unique to a particular brand, model, and/or wireless carriers' line of available devices, the best chance of a developer to produce a fully compatible app or game is through a project like Oskar has established here. I truly wish more people would overcome their intimidation of sounding foolish and just post more. We all have more to learn, or we wouldn't be here in the first place. It couldn't possibly hurt this situation any if they could also do so without concern of receiving the "Please stay on topic" slap in the face, anytime someone attempts to further build on their relationship with another forum member.

You may not be able to tell from my posts at times, but I want you to know that I respect your work and varied contributions to the development of Andor's Trail. I only wish we weren't all mostly spread across the globe, and could sit down in a room together and just visit. I'll pick verbal conversation over my having to write and/or type any day. Can you tell from the length of my post? :)
One of even fewer...
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

Thank you all again for all the excellent input. I have committed the following things to SVN now:
lady black wrote:I have not loaded any of the new versions, but I noticed a typo in one of ctnbeh13's quotes about a different problem. It's in the one about a man with a cane near Loneford. He says something is getting worse everyday, which means common or ordinary. It should be every day, meaning each separate day. Sorry I did not catch this before the last beta was released.
Thanks, but his line of text was already "It seems we are getting worse every day". Thanks for spotting a potential typo though!
tek wrote:Ever since 0.6.10b2, I have been seeing ever once in awhile the hero will start walking by himself (hands are off the screen) after a successful battle and does not stop until he hits an obstacle or a monster.
Fixed.
Johan wrote:Also, I have found another bug regarding used up APs in fights that I wish to have confirmed by someone before reporting it in the bug tracker. If I quickly tap two (or more) times when attacking, an attack is performed and X APs are spent as expected, but then another X APs are subtracted without an additional attack.
Confirmed and fixed. Reproducable if you click to attack while an animation was running. You have a keen eye Johan :)
I am considering we release this version to Android Market "real soon now"(tm). I would really like to start working on the new content for v0.6.11.
/Oskar
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

oskarwiksten: Been testing Beta 3 since you posted it and it runs sooooooo much better than the last version. Thank you very much! Now back to the old grinding trail!

ANDOR WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!?!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Samuel wrote:IMO the fluent combat should have more priority: (here I have a samsung galaxy s i9000 and it's still noticeable)
- before beta2 I experienced no lag
- in beta2 I experienced some lag without optimized drawing
- in beta2 I experienced no lag with optimized drawing
- in beta3 I experienced some lag without optimized drawing
- in beta3 I experienced some lag with optimized drawing
Perhaps I should specify what I mean with lag in beta3:
In previous versions every touch resulted in an attack. In the current version around 1 of 3 attacks (touched fast one after the other) is not recognized.

I would be really glad if you could fix this.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
qasur

Post by qasur »

I'm still experiencing lag in optimized setting (and not too), even after the changes. I also still lag on map changes too.

Combat is better, but I still find it slow. It attacks once, but uses double AP when I first encounter. Also, the lag causes me to run into enemies and get attacked before I get the option. Sometimes the lag allows creatures to walk into a just initiated combat too, right after first attack.

Still on HTC Hero 2.1
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

As you might have read, v0.6.10 is now uploaded to Android Market. It might take a while to propagate, so you will probably not see an updated version in your Market client right away. Those of you that have installed the alphas or betas might want to go get the official Market version instead.

For completeness, the things that were changed from beta3 to the released versions are the following:
  • Bugfix: Enable menu button after using other keyboard actions.
  • Bugfix: Always stop movement when engaging combat.
  • Reduce number of redraws when engaging combat. (should reduce the time taken from the monster encounter dialog to the combat bar appearing)
  • Bugfix: Do not use APs for attacks when an animation is running, since no attacks will be made then.
/Oskar