Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Post by Sarumar »

oskarwiksten wrote: Some great suggestions that have been brought up that I think we should consider:
  1. Changing the "+1 dmg" option when leveling up to being only +1 on max damage range, and not on both min and max damage range.
  2. Changing the multiplier that is applied to a critical attack to be a random value between 1 and the player's critical modifier.
  3. Changing critical hits so that the damage multiplier only applies to base damage.
  4. Changing critical hits so that there can be at most one critical hit per fight
  5. Changing critical chance to a nonlinear function instead of just a linear percentage.
  6. Make certain classes of monsters totally immune to critical hits (for example, the "demon" class?)
Personally, I think I would prefer a combination of 1 and 5, since it would still keep the fun part in having critical hits (you can still get that massive damage attack), while still reducing the overpowered aspect of it (you will get that type of attack less often, and won't always be as powerful).
IMO 1,5 and 6 together will be nice solution.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Treadmore
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by Treadmore »

I think criticals are a good thing - leave them alone!

But what would be an improvement is weapon effectiveness being matched with opponent. In otherwords attack damage would be modified by a multiplier, between 0 and 1, depending how effective that weapon is against the opponent.

This could make areas such as BWM more interesting if, for example, daggers were fully effective against snakes but ineffective against gornauds. And if the fully effective weapon against a gornaud (a hammer,say) was ineffective against snakes...

At least then criticals would not be universally effective.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

welcome to the boards! :D

great post!!!

makes me think of things like...

- blunt weapons beat heavy armors & Bark Skin-types
- piercing weapons beat chain mails & scale skin-types
- slashing weapons beat hides / skins & fabric-types

feel free to leave a five star rating!
more good feedback will move AT from a 4.7 to 4.8 rating...
respect where it's due, right? :D

just some thoughts... :twisted:
back to the highscore grind! :evil:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Treadmore

Post by Treadmore »

Cheers :)

Great game and board here.

What's the rating thing?
mirajp1
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by mirajp1 »

Treadmore wrote:Cheers :)

What's the rating thing?
Its the app rating in android market based on the stars u leave in your review there.
More rating helps to get AT more recognition

so Please leave 5 stars rating in market :)
Logic:
Lvl: 38, XP: 1006224, Gold: 69410, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, GoLF: 1, ChaR: 0, SHAF: 0
HP: 83, AC: 219%, AD: 24-30, AP: 3, BC: 55%, DR: -1, CC: 22%, CM: 3
Restore HP/Kill: 2

currently affected by rotworm :D
Treadmore

Post by Treadmore »

mirajp1 wrote:
Treadmore wrote:Cheers :)

What's the rating thing?
Its the app rating in android market based on the stars u leave in your review there.
More rating helps to get AT more recognition

so Please leave 5 stars rating in market :)
I got AT from fdroid - not sure I can rate in the market.

Maybe the prospect of a 5* review will be an incentive for v0.6.11 ;)
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Sarumar wrote:
oskarwiksten wrote: Some great suggestions that have been brought up that I think we should consider:
  1. Changing the "+1 dmg" option when leveling up to being only +1 on max damage range, and not on both min and max damage range.
  2. Changing the multiplier that is applied to a critical attack to be a random value between 1 and the player's critical modifier.
  3. Changing critical hits so that the damage multiplier only applies to base damage.
  4. Changing critical hits so that there can be at most one critical hit per fight
  5. Changing critical chance to a nonlinear function instead of just a linear percentage.
  6. Make certain classes of monsters totally immune to critical hits (for example, the "demon" class?)
Personally, I think I would prefer a combination of 1 and 5, since it would still keep the fun part in having critical hits (you can still get that massive damage attack), while still reducing the overpowered aspect of it (you will get that type of attack less often, and won't always be as powerful).
My only issue with 1 is that it revises the entire attack system, not just critical hits. If that's the goal, then I'd still rather it not happen, but it would certainly make things more challenging to not have as high a guaranteed minimum. It would also make the Hard Hit skill more valuable since that also raises the minimum damage by +1.

But if the goal is just to balance out critical hit damage, then its going too far since it changes more than just the critical hit damage.

6 is good because new monsters to fight are good just for having new monsters to fight.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
mirajp1
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by mirajp1 »

Mino wrote:
Sarumar wrote:
My only issue with 1 is that it revises the entire attack system, not just critical hits. If that's the goal, then I'd still rather it not happen, but it would certainly make things more challenging to not have as high a guaranteed minimum. It would also make the Hard Hit skill more valuable since that also raises the minimum damage by +1.

But if the goal is just to balance out critical hit damage, then its going too far since it changes more than just the critical hit damage.

6 is good because new monsters to fight are good just for having new monsters to fight.
We can use 1 in game modes(easy normal and hard) so that this can be applied in hard mode
Logic:
Lvl: 38, XP: 1006224, Gold: 69410, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, GoLF: 1, ChaR: 0, SHAF: 0
HP: 83, AC: 219%, AD: 24-30, AP: 3, BC: 55%, DR: -1, CC: 22%, CM: 3
Restore HP/Kill: 2

currently affected by rotworm :D
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

a big "+1" to Mino!!!

there are tons of game-breaking code-changes that could be made,
but choosing 'the right way to go about things' is crutial.

it is hard for me to suggest things at this piont,
but i like 3...
criticals founded on base damage.
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

The best and easiest way to balance the critical #'s is to cap the critical skills!!
Leave everything else as is. Although creating monsters that are immune to critical hits is a great idea.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"