v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

0.6.10 Problems & Solutions

Discussions of the development process of the game.
qasur

0.6.10 Problems & Solutions

Post by qasur »

Oskar, what all structurally changed from 0.6.9 to 0.6.10?

Something has to acredit for the increase in lag for everyone, not just some phones.

How many stats rely on dependence? Too many, and memory fills up. I know you use pointers, which is good, but are there possible memory leaks from other sources?

The resource loader changed, have you tried the old one with the new updates to see if thst could be a source of problem? What about the new optimized drawing feature, is it a standard across devices?

Maybe some other Q&As can help locate the slag issue.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: 0.6.10 Problems & Solutions

Post by nyktos »

qasur wrote:Oskar, what all structurally changed from 0.6.9 to 0.6.10?
there is a post for this
qasur wrote:Something has to acredit for the increase in lag for everyone, not just some phones.
and this...
qasur wrote:How many stats rely on dependence? Too many, and memory fills up. I know you use pointers, which is good, but are there possible memory leaks from other sources?
that...
qasur wrote:The resource loader changed, have you tried the old one with the new updates to see if thst could be a source of problem? What about the new optimized drawing feature, is it a standard across devices?
and that...
qasur wrote:Maybe some other Q&As can help locate the slag issue.
yup - its covered.

contributions to existing posts would be ideal,
we dont want too many repeated threads...
making information harder to convey / access

thank you for your time, we need the community to come to life here...
posts like this - they keep us all going =)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
qasur

Post by qasur »

No offense, but you're post did nothing but troll serious questions to the creator of the game. And no, many of those questions have not been answered and/or there is not a thread discussing them. If you're not going to leave positive discussion, then don't post, it's very simple.

The game only gets better through positive contributions going forward, not negative ones.

I asked about the pointers and other possible memory issues because even just one tiny problem could eat up memory. Same for dependencies. This game has a *huge* dependency trail via all the equipment and character statistics. Although it only requires a few quick calculations, every dependency requires active memory and an active pointer to it. This leads to more and more memory. Actor condtions requires more memory. Etc.

I haven't parsed the code all the way through, but do the depencies for stats get checked upon use or are they constantly being updated into memory? Like, in the main function, are the stats being constantly checked and rechecked as new things are added, or does the game only check those stats once they are requsted by each function?

It's all about to reducing overall memory footprint, and every little bit helps. The change to loading maps is pretty huge to since it takes a lot of preloaded memory and moves it. Changes like that are great and should be implemented throughout the game. My questions mostly relate to this so that we can hope to improve the internal aspects of the game related to memory and make it a smooth machine during each update
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

sure, i'll bite... 8-)

structural changes - http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1059

lag issues / memory leak - http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?p=6261#p6261

optimized drawing - http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... wing#p6313

there are tons of posts about these issues, i wasn't trying to offend you...
nor am i trolling - just trying to get rid of ''unanswered posts'' that are easy fixes.

you have some great stuff in this post, wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers.
just thought it would better serve everyone if it was along side of the rest of our posts.
qasur wrote:I asked about the pointers and other possible memory issues because even just one tiny problem could eat up memory. Same for dependencies. This game has a *huge* dependency trail via all the equipment and character statistics. Although it only requires a few quick calculations, every dependency requires active memory and an active pointer to it. This leads to more and more memory. Actor condtions requires more memory. Etc.

I haven't parsed the code all the way through, but do the depencies for stats get checked upon use or are they constantly being updated into memory? Like, in the main function, are the stats being constantly checked and rechecked as new things are added, or does the game only check those stats once they are requsted by each function?

It's all about to reducing overall memory footprint, and every little bit helps. The change to loading maps is pretty huge to since it takes a lot of preloaded memory and moves it. Changes like that are great and should be implemented throughout the game. My questions mostly relate to this so that we can hope to improve the internal aspects of the game related to memory and make it a smooth machine during each update
maybe they should all come to this thread?
i dunno, but like i said... good stuff here! (above) :mrgreen:

my apologies if i came off as negative as you suggest...
only here to help, not hinder / offend.

take care good sir
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]